Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rare /6 or seller BS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VegasRacer
The ad in Panorama reads: 1970 914/6 Roadster. #9140432654. 70,000 mi, rare car, 1 of 4 blt by factory for well known Porsche collector, 2.8 ltr fact motor, new DTA fuel inj, new Sparco seats, new shifter, adj brakes, flares, roll cage, fire system, S brakes & more, streetable, $25,000. Jerry Aaron, Bingham Farms, MI. jerryfxlr@aol.com.
Gustl
well, I know at least one other similar car
914.0.43.0376 originally was a factory test car with narrow body and 916-steel roof, equipped with a 2.2 S engine
Porsche used it for chassis stiffness tests - maybe it could be considered as the first 916 pre-prototype car idea.gif

anyhow, it run through many modifications during it's live as factory test car, and today it's a 916 clone (flared) with 2.8 ltr engine (grand prix white)

unfortunately I can't tell for sure if it got the 2.8 engine "by factory" or from one of it's later owners

but I still wonder if Porsche had the 2.8 engine in 1970 - or if the seller from 914.0.43.2654 claims that the car left factory later?
I mean, it's a late MY'70 car ...

I'll ask my german friends if anybody knows more about it

wavey.gif Gustl
redshift
'70? 2.8?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHaaaa

m
Rusty
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Apr 28 2006, 08:09 AM) *

The ad in Panorama reads: 1970 914/6 Roadster. #9140432654. 70,000 mi, rare car, 1 of 4 blt by factory for well known Porsche collector, 2.8 ltr fact motor, new DTA fuel inj, new Sparco seats, new shifter, adj brakes, flares, roll cage, fire system, S brakes & more, streetable, $25,000. Jerry Aaron, Bingham Farms, MI. jerryfxlr@aol.com.

Tough to say. Could have been an original GT (or dealer installed GT kit) built to spec. Might have an interesting race history. I think a glimpse at a CARDEX or paper-trail would be revealing.

I haven't lived in Michigan in a while, but I recall Bingham Farms being a fairly affluent area.

Vegas - invite the guy here. It would be interesting for us and a good opportunity for him to advertise.

-Rusty smoke.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Apr 28 2006, 01:56 AM) *
invite the guy here. It would be interesting for us and a good opportunity for him to advertise.

An e-mail invitation has been sent to the seller. bye1.gif
Gustl
could anybody explain what's a "new DTA fuel inj", please

confused24.gif Gustl
davep
http://www.dtafast.co.uk/

Looks like this system.
JeffBowlsby
I know the person who has put a deposit on this car and sent him an email asking for more information about it. I will post any more information about it that he sends me. He says it was specially built for a customer of Stoddards and was one of 4 factory built 2.8L 914/6 cars.
grantsfo
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 29 2006, 07:02 AM) *

I know the person who has put a deposit on this car and sent him an email asking for more information about it. I will post any more information about it that he sends me. He says it was specially built for a customer of Stoddards and was one of 4 factory built 2.8L 914/6 cars.

If thats the case he got a killer deal.
914forme
A bunch of odd ball 914s came out of Stoddards, not sure if they where factory, they might have been dealer installed, Stoddards did a bunch of work in house.

I know he Chuck Stoddard had one he did a bunch of stuff on, nice car, so it probably spurred a bunch more clones of a kind or another. Chuck's car ran in a series of Pano articles in the early days.

Just looked up the Pano article, Chuck's had an assebled 2.8L installed. 100 Liter GT tank added also. the 2.8L put out close to 260HP

chilli
dry.gif When did a "6" come with a 914 vin no.???
inquiring minds need to know,

mike driving.gif
Downunderman
This is a bit OT, but how many other oddball cars came out of the factory and how were they configured? Reason being the rules are changing for classic rallies next year and it looked like I would have to go wide body 916 replica to keep the 2.7, but I may be able to stay narrow with at least 2.2 + 17%. Gustl I'll send you a PM.
VegasRacer
Still no reply from the seller to the e-mail I sent him. sad.gif
Dominic
QUOTE(chilli @ Apr 29 2006, 10:29 AM) *

dry.gif When did a "6" come with a 914 vin no.???
inquiring minds need to know,

mike driving.gif

All real 6's have a 914xxxxxxx vin #, the 4 cyl cars have the 47xxxxxxx VIN numbers.
davep
QUOTE(Howard R @ Apr 29 2006, 10:32 AM) *

This is a bit OT, but how many other oddball cars came out of the factory and how were they configured? Reason being the rules are changing for classic rallies next year and it looked like I would have to go wide body 916 replica to keep the 2.7, but I may be able to stay narrow with at least 2.2 + 17%.

So you are saying that a 914/6 GT configuration is required for the 2.7? I wonder what their reasoning was. I'm sure they don't mean you have to go the 916 steel roof configuration.

About the only oddball I'm aware of is the 1975 914/6. Most other 914/6 that were "unusual" were just the M471 cars that basically had the widened fenders like the GT cars. Basically, you could have a regular 914/6, a sporto 914/6, a 914/6 with M471 and a full 914/6 GT from the factory. Then there were the GT kits available to do the GT conversion yourself to the extent you desired. As far as "Special Wishes" 914's go, I don't think there were many besides the 1975 914/6 (and there, there is only speculation as to the VIN).

As far as Chuck's car goes, it was a stock 914/6 to begin with, then got extensively modified. The 2.8 engine was the last of a series of five engines he had installed. The article was in Pano April, 1974, and at that time did not even have flares.

914forme
Well I hate to disagree, but at that time it was flared. The rear fenders have been pulled, they budge out just a little, to fit 7s out back. Not GT flares yes, but flared! I have been lucky enough to see this car, it is still the same as it was, way nicer in person, still sports the fender pull out back, when you see it in person, the line is much more aggressive than it shows in the pano shots.

BTW, I am not saying that it is the same car, I am just saying if it came out of Stoddard's it does not mean it left the factory that way. They where know to hotrod a Porsche or two in their time.
Downunderman
Thanks for that. I shoud have made it clearer. I will have to turn it into a 916 replica to continue with the 2.7. I would rather keep it narrow and hence my interest in a factory built 2.2 narrow car. If I can find out more about it mine might become a replica and that would allow 2.55 or thereabouts. Under the present rules I can run any size engine I like so long as its a magnesium case motor.
davep
QUOTE(Howard R @ Apr 30 2006, 12:07 PM) *

I will have to turn it into a 916 replica to continue with the 2.7. I would rather keep it narrow and hence my interest in a factory built 2.2 narrow car. If I can find out more about it mine might become a replica and that would allow 2.55 or thereabouts. Under the present rules I can run any size engine I like so long as its a magnesium case motor.

the factory only built 2.0 engines into the 914/6 from 70 to 72. The 916 got a 2.4 engine, but some were upgraded to the 2.7 when they became available. Basically they got the current engine available for the model and then may have been upgraded after the fact.

Yeah, okay, Chuck's car had the baseball bat routine done to the fenders. But they barely qualify as flares as we know them, they are very subtle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.