Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "PORSCHE" reflector panel between tail lights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RickS
have on one the car and really don't care for it. Is this a dealer option or some aftermarket kit?

I have a button under the dash to open the rear trunk (because as you know - the push botton was removed from the back of the car). Seems like someone went a lot of trouble to add a cutdown reflector. Is this a common modification? I personally don't care for it, but if it is sought after or considered valuable, I will keep it (reluctantly).

TIA
wbergtho
It is a 911 reflector panel that has been cut on either side to fit the 914. It is not a dealer add on (as far as I know). I have one on my car and it has a hole in the center for the lock...so I don't need two people to actuate the trunk release. It is an attractive add on for some people and if yours is in really nice shape...you might be able to sell it on E-Bay for over $100.
McMark
Ditch it. Increases or decreases value depending on the buyer, so there's no real value. If you want it gone, ditch it.
reverie
You have a very nice one. In my opinion, it is a classy color combination with the color of your car, and it also ties the taillights together very well. As far as I know, you have the only silver 914 in the Northwest with a rear reflector; take it off and you'll look like all the others. If you take it off, there are several holes in the body (that hold the reflector on) that will have to be welded and smoothed and painted. And you'll need a new trunk latch.

I think you should keep it, but make sure you have a back-up system for opening the trunk. My back-up system is a small hole in the center of the reflector. Let me know if you'd like to look at it, to see the location.

Rog wavey.gif
computers4kids
QUOTE(reverie @ Apr 28 2006, 01:21 AM) *

make sure you have a back-up system for opening the trunk. My back-up system is a small hole in the center of the reflector. Let me know if you'd like to look at it, to see the location.

Rog wavey.gif

Personal preference...your car looks great with it. A back-up plan is a must, it's a nightmare to open your trunk if the solenoid fails to release. My backup is a small hole drilled directly below the solenoid through the trunk. It has a small rubber plug that can be pushed out of the way from below the car and a stiff wire can then be pushed through the hole to release the solenoid. When I was putting my car back together after it was painted, I didn't have the wires connected back to the solenoid and not thinking shut my trunk....OH Sh...t! Thank goodness, I had my backup plan already in place. aktion035.gif
effutuo101
I have one on the back of my car. Dosn't quite look like yours. I don't have the small reflectors on the ends. I have gone back and forth on mine, and will probalbly lose it when I repaint, but for now it covers up the holes.
Mugs914
Generally I'm pretty neutral on the reflectors,but I think it looks great on your car. Seems to work well with the lighter colored cars.

I've got one on mine that was obviously made specially for the 914 since it has a border all the way round. I don't think its anything particularly rare, but I haven't seen many like it. I have no idea where it came from...
RickS
The rubber plug in a small hole is an excellent idea. Thanks for the tip. I will do it after my Calif trip.

Here is a pic of a little mod to the PORSCHE reflector. Easily reversable.
mikeyb33
IMHO I think the red reflector looks nicer on pretty much any color car because (as already mentioned above) it ties the red taillights together visually, which "cleans up" the look of the back of the car.

But on that note, my next question, a dilemma: If you put that "PORSCHE" reflector panel on, doesn't that make the engine lid " P O R S C H E " letters redundant?

My car (black) came with the rear reflector* & no engine lid letters. I bought a set of the letters & installed them, and overall I think it's ok having both, but... I don't know if that's really right.

What do others think?

* note, for my rear deck lid release, a prior owner installed a manual pull cable to the latch & ran it into the car next to the driver's seat. It's not lockable, but I don't keep anything of value back there so I don't really worry about it. And when I pull the release the latch seems to stay released on its own (until I slam the lid shut) and it doesn't require two-person operation to open. Overall I'm pretty happy with it.
lapuwali
There are also reflectors that don't have black PORSCHE letters, but instead of PORSCHE in letters of a different reflectivity, so you can still see them, but they don't stand out so much. Looks very different with lights shining on it, as well.
Air_Cooled_Nut
On my first teener I bought one specifically made for the 914. I like it:
IPB Image

Personal preference I guess. I'm going to put it on my current 914 and ditch the engine lid ones. I also had the mechanical trunk release, worked great, no issues.
msglaigaie
I have one on my black 914. I thought drilling a hole in the middle of it sounded felony stupid (no offense to those who did). I have a wire going through the trunk floor with a left over grenade ring on the end. I just reach up under the bumper a bit, pull the ring, and voila, the trunk opens. I don't keep anything back there either, other than the roof. Important stuff goes up front where it can be locked. I get a kick out of pulling that grenade ring anyway, it just tickles the hell out of me every time. Hooo Yaaa MSG L
pib
My 75 has one, and the electric solenoid with a button near the fuse box. The guy who sold it to me didn't know how to open the trunk! I found the button after snooping around.

But it's a major PITA, it's a two person job to open it, because the springs aren't strong enough to pop the lid when the solenoid relases. I like the backup plan...grenade pin and all!
Note to self: remove grenade first...blowup.gif
iamchappy
I have an extra black letter cut down reflector in pretty nice shape I am willing to sell for better than ebay price.
I just purchased a new ghost reflector for a ridiculous price, selling the old one would help lessen my buyers remorse.

I think the reflectors look best on the late rubber bumper cars and ones with rear spoilers.
So.Cal.914
It is up to the owner, some like it and some don't.

Alot of owners I know (including myself) like that little panel that it covers

up to hang our emblems on... smoke.gif

I never had a problem opening the trunk, push the button up came the trunk.

Try lubing it.
jimtab
My '73 had one when I bought it...the first thing I changed on the car was the reflector, I traded it for other parts and lived with the holes until I had the body work and paint done...just never did it for me...it says Porsche on the engine lid...that's enough, in my opinion...
Air_Cooled_Nut
pib, love the avitar biggrin.gif
wbergtho
I sort of agree that the reflector panel coupled with the Porsche letters on the engine grill are a bit redundant...so I elected to not put any Porsche letters on my Gt deck lid. Also, I bought my reflector panel with the button hole already drilled. At first ...I thought I wouldn't like a hole there with the button sticking out...but It has grown on me and I can honestly say I'll never be locked out with a failed solenoid problem. I also didn't like the idea of enlisting a perfect stranger in a parking lot somewhere to "help" me open my stupid trunk lid. I can imagine what some people would say after such an episode...."This thing is German engineered...huh?"
pib
QUOTE(wbergtho @ May 2 2006, 08:46 PM) *

I also didn't like the idea of enlisting a perfect stranger in a parking lot somewhere to "help" me open my stupid trunk lid. I can imagine what some people would say after such an episode...."This thing is German engineered...huh?"

Yeah, but I've learned that the shame of asking for help is far better than the shame of trying to pull it up with a bungee cord in one hand, while pushing the button with the other... yikes.gif OH, SNAP! Literally.

The reflector is leaving when body & paint time rolls around. To be replaced by a trusty old button, and maybe one of those spiffy VW-Porsche emblems.

Air_Cooled_Nut: Thanks. I just wish the avatar wasn't based on reality...
muddboy
i replaced my button with a switch... now i just flip on the power... walk back and lift... then walk back to the cab and turn it off...

come to think about it.. rig a timmer... giving you 30 sec. of power to do it...
mikeyb33
wbergtho: very clean look. Can we see the rest of your car?

I'm going to keep looking at my car, with as much objectivity as I can manage, to justify keeping both the rear reflector (it's staying) and the engine lid letters. And I may ask random friends for their opinions & see what the consensus is.

-mike
p.s. nothing to comment on in particular but I just discovered this Calvin Smiley and had to indulge... dance.gif
wbergtho
Sure...here are a few pics. My car has highly modified Sheridan Body work (ultimate914.com) and a V-8 LS6. I figured it needed a Porsche relector panel to to help explain what it is after all the custom work. Most people still don't know what it is...especially where I live (midwest). People out here haven't seen too many 914's.

Bill
Elliot_Cannon
There's a good chance I'll install one on my car. I use an Engman cable release for my rear trunk and it works like a charm. I trust it a lot more than an electric solenoid. I'm tossing around the idea of cementing strong magnets to the reflector and just sticking it on. Anyone try that?
Elliot
mikeyb33
thanks Bill. *MAN* what a sweeeet looking machine!
drooley.gif

-mike
p.s. Elliot: Good idea on the magnets, probably just depends on how bad a side of town you live in (and/or park your car in). And/or how many seriously bumpy dirt roads you have to drive your car down. Otherwise I don't see what's wrong with that!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.