Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Improving the stereo sound in a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
I did add a modern stereo to my 914, but I really DON'T want to cut holes in my doors nor in my console for a subwoofer. I have brand new OEM speaker grills. I would like to retain the stock look (other than stereo as much as possible).

What kind of speakers will fit in the stock grills that sound good?
Do you think I could mount a subwoofer hidden within the enclosure of the console without cutting a hole for the sound and get OK results. It seems to me the sound would escape from behind the console OK?

I'm not looking to rattle my windows, just some good sound. Seems like the stock speakers, even though they are new just sound too tinty...with no base.

turboman808
Funny story just happened yesterday. Guy at work asked me to tune his $2000 car stereo. As soon as I was done and got it sounding pretty good he went and cranked the loudness up to lever 5 to where the audio was clipping then said thanks for the help. biggrin.gif

Gonna have to have some sort of sub in there to get more low end. But did you try just turning down the treble?
Jamie
914 don't need no stinkin' stereo!! Just listen to the symphony of the wind rushin' by!!!
computers4kids
QUOTE(Jamie @ Apr 28 2006, 07:20 AM) *

914 don't need no stinkin' stereo!! Just listen to the symphony of the wind rushin' by!!!

Oh, I thought most of us listen to the stero when our cars are resting on jackstands!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Apr 28 2006, 06:52 AM) *

I did add a modern stereo to my 914, but I really DON'T want to cut holes in my doors nor in my console for a subwoofer. I have brand new OEM speaker grills. I would like to retain the stock look (other than stereo as much as possible).

Do you think I could mount a subwoofer hidden within the enclosure of the console without cutting a hole for the sound and get OK results. It seems to me the sound would escape from behind the console OK?

I'm not looking to rattle my windows, just some good sound. Seems like the stock speakers, even though they are new just sound too tinty...with no base.

Have you looked in the 91 resources section at the stuff that Morphenspectra has available?

Sub hidden in the center console, new stock looking speaker pods that mount in the same spot?
Rob
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Apr 28 2006, 08:04 AM) *

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Apr 28 2006, 06:52 AM) *

Have you looked in the 914 resources section at the stuff that Morphenspectra has available?

Sub hidden in the center console, new stock looking speaker pods that mount in the same spot?
Rob

John
I was pondering this recently and have not investigated the idea yet, but what if one were to add some small flat panel speakers to the lower side of the upper targa pad closer to the listeners' ears.

I had thought of installing speakers in the headrests (ala Pontiac Fiero circa 1984) as those worked well for what they were at the time, but I would rather not cut up my headrests for something that may not work.

Headphones would work, but I'm pretty sure that would be illegal (or it should be if it isn't).

I think the best bet is the replacement speaker pods that a member here makes with the 6.5" round speakers coupled to a quality stereo and powerful amp. I have never been able to get good sounding music in my 914's and I tried for the last 20 years.

just my $0.02
JmuRiz
I made a custom center cushion (between the seats) with 2 2.5" speakers firing straight up. Makes for audible listening with the top off.
Chris Pincetich
I've been browsing for good options and have settled on Polk speakers - I like how they sound. The 6.5" will fit fine in the door holes I have and when I get the panels replaced they'll fit fine in the morphenspectra fiberglass replacements in the stock pisition. The MCC650 MOMO series has a carbon fiber cone (matches future CF pieces in my garage) on the 6.5 speaker, an adjustable angle tweeter in the middle, and external cross-overs to send the correct frequencies to the correct speaker. What I can't decide really is whether or not to by regular or componenet system; the component system has seperate tweeters and a dedicated mid/sub that is 6.5" with beefier cross-overs. Then I would install the 6.5 in he places I mentioned and put the tweeter on the roll-bar pillar above the seatbelts and wire it/mount it through the hole created by the coat hanger clip (?useless). Also, on eBay, I saw Polk made a sick looking 4x6" speaker that had seperate tweeter and mid that might fit in the OEM speaker pods. Have fun! beerchug.gif
ptravnic
I actually bought a component setup - 6.5" in the morphenspectra fiberglass replacements (great product) and put the tweeters above the seatbelt in the place of the worthless hanger clips. The components were from Audiobahn (I would not recommend) although I'll prob get new components this year and keep the same speaker locations. I would however, recommend having an adjustable crossover, b/c the tweaters are right behind your ear and don't need to be on the same volume as the 6.5's...

My $0.02

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.