Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side Markers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rmital
I have a couple more patches to weld before I send the 914 out for paint. The car is stripped down, no bumpers, lens, etc....

Leo Imperiale stop by the shop, noticed the side markers gone, asked if I was going to put them back. I have the opportunity to close up the holes and rid myself of them.

I've seen some without them...European versions?

Just would like to hear opinions...what do you think?

Thanks,
Ray
nomore9one4
NO! welder.gif
messix
get ride of them. unless your doing a clean car restoration.
craig downs
agree.gif
Lose em
watsonrx13
NO, they're a wart on a frog's a$$....

-- Rob
rmital
QUOTE(messix @ Apr 28 2006, 07:13 AM) *

unless your doing a clean car restoration.

nope...just shooting for a solid 914 for fun.
John
I'm removing mine when I put flares and new paint on my car.
Grimstead
I got rid of mine when I had the car painted (many years ago) and have never had a second thought about it.
effutuo101
agree.gif unless you are doing a restro. I put the 911 style turn signals behind my flared wheel wells. I am very happy with them, but some don't like em.
Leo Imperial
Ray you missed the chance to start a new poll.

I will add up the votes for you.

welder.gif Loose them!!!!
Lou W
agree.gif get rid of them, better aero package. biggrin.gif
Rand
I got rid of mine. Shaving the holes soon.
double-a
i guess i'll be the lone dissenter... call me weird, but i kind of like the pimple lights. when i did the full bodywork/paint thing, i decided to keep them. eventually, i plan to wire the lights to blink with the turn signal.

~a
rmital
...so if I lose the side markers...do I then use those wires for Camp914's Euro Conversion Kit to light up the lower portion of the lense?

Has anyone made this change?
Grimstead
QUOTE(rmital @ Apr 28 2006, 10:59 AM) *

...so if I lose the side markers...do I then use those wires for Camp914's Euro Conversion Kit to light up the lower portion of the lense?

It's on my list (does that help?). Losing the markers doesn't mean you need to lose the wiring, mine is still there.
Lou W

QUOTE(Grimstead @ Apr 28 2006, 11:48 AM) *

It's on my list (does that help?). Losing the markers doesn't mean you need to lose the wiring, mine is still there.

Same here smile.gif
914-8
I went back and forth on that one. Wasn't quite sure which look I liked better, plus the extra work of removing them and I was on a tight schedule to get the car and garage cleaned up or face . . . well, not sure, but it wouldn't have been good!

(Wives sometimes don't like weeks of wet sanding, dry sanding, sanding residue being dragged into the house, etc., I found out).

But in the end, decided to get rid of them. Figured if I really didn't like it, could put them back on, but couldn't easily take them off once paint was done.

I'm really glad I got rid of them.

Going . . . going . . .

rmital
...I like it!! boldblue.gif
914-8
Gone!

sportlicherFahrer
The wire for the Euro conversion from Camp 914 uses the wire lead that would turn on the running light in the front housing, not the wire that turns on the side marker. If you get the kit(which I would recommend, I've got one and love it) it explains how to do it.
tdgray
Nope Shave the bastiges... smooth as a well fill in your own blank
Leo Imperial
Do it. Hey, Do it, Do it.
Matt Meyer
I think flush mounted corvette marker lights would look OK.

IPB Image

Making the 914 visible is good.

I'll probably end up adding a third brake light too. I know those Toyota 4x4's can not see my tail lights when I can not see above their grill in my rear view mirror.
Elliot_Cannon
I just had the car painted and kept the lights. Got rid of the antenna though. This car is so small and hard to see, I want every chance for people to know I'm there. I think the car looks better without them but I left them on anyway. I've had so many large vehicles turn into me cause they didn't see me, I'm thinking of installing a flag on a whip antenna ala dune buggy.

Cheers, Elliot
rmital
QUOTE(Leo Imperial @ Apr 28 2006, 01:00 PM) *

Do it. Hey, Do it, Do it.

...it is done, they are gone! ...even with just the welded plate it looks better. We worked till about 2:00am, was pretty beat, so I forgot to take a pic to show our handy work.

Going for paint on Monday.....getting very close....to being finish? do we ever really finish....
72914S
I didn`t care for the original lites but these work,more aero (faster).
montoya 73 2.0
I received the CAMP 914 kit on thursday, They say you can use the positive lead from the side markers for the kit. i thought about using some side markers from my old 65 type III squareback.
dimitri
And YES the european had no side markers, uncle Sam required them! My 914/6
imported had some audi markers attached, rectangular and less pertruding. Came
with H4's and amber rear lenses, both not legal at the time. Dimitri
JPB
As a purist/minimalist I say, take those tractor trailer lights off brother. I just plugged mine today but installed an electric antena in the hole in the fender. I don't even like the pop up head lights and might just run driving lights full time.

smash.gif Purist/Minimalists rule!
rmital
...as I mentioned a few replies ago...they are gone. Wanted to post a pic of our handy work.

Just dropped the car off this morning at the paint shop. The next week or two will be the longest weeks of my life. Still have plenty of busy stuff to do. Clean up 30+ years of crap off bumpers, bumper tops, lenses....

BTW...going to hijack my own thread. I have a new fog light lense to replace the broken on in the picture. How the heck do you replace/remove the lense??
Mark Henry
Has anyone tried putting the molded in one (like on my VW Passat) on the air dam/spoiler??.....Too Low???

Or how about LED's on the corner of the headlight cover??

I want the shaved light look... but I still want to be seen.
szuccaro
Click to view attachmentGone
maf914
When you weld on steel flares or glass-in FG flares does the join line pass through the side marker location? Is the side marker location still flat or is it in the curve of the flare? Just wondering... idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.