Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: poor shifting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
will
ok, i spent 1300 dollars getting my trans rebuilt but shifting is still difficult. Getting it into first and second gear is very hard. Bushings were replaced as well. What else needs replacing to make it shift smooth and fast?
thanks biggrin.gif
Mueller
want smooth and fast??

buy a honda !!!! biggrin.gif

Have you followed the directions in the haynes manual for adjusting the linkage??

To double check the linkage/bushings for wear, have someone hold the shifter in place and then you crawl underneath the car and see if you can get the linkage to wiggle.

The Rennshifter supposed to help since there is a good chance the shifter itself is worn.

Dr Evil
agree.gif What Mike said. Make sure the linkage is adjusted correctly.
olav
QUOTE(will @ Apr 28 2006, 09:13 AM) *

ok, i spent 1300 dollars getting my trans rebuilt but shifting is still difficult. Getting it into first and second gear is very hard. Bushings were replaced as well. What else needs replacing to make it shift smooth and fast?
thanks biggrin.gif

What did the 1300 dollars include?

Did the shop take out and put in the tranny?

If so, I wonder if the cone screws on the shift shaft are tight and in the alignment holes etc.
blitZ
I started having trouble with first and reverse this week. Adjusted the clutch last night, works great today. Check your clutch, might need to tighten the cable a little.
will
QUOTE(olav @ Apr 28 2006, 09:57 AM) *

QUOTE(will @ Apr 28 2006, 09:13 AM) *

thanks biggrin.gif

What did the 1300 dollars include?

Did the shop take out and put in the tranny?

If so, I wonder if the cone screws on the shift shaft are tight and in the alignment holes etc.

1300 dollars includes removing the trans and replacing all 5 synchros, 4 bushings, replacing the main shaft and reinstalling.
double-a
if those cone set screws are loose, there will be enough wiggle to make finding a gear near impossible... btdt.

i agree, make sure the shifter is adjusted correctly. it's a bit of a trial and error thing, even with a nice new rennshifter.

~a
srb7f
Be sure to check the two bushings inside the knuckle right behind the firewall. I had one side of them explode on me which left me with a very similar problem several months ago.
will
QUOTE(srb7f @ Apr 28 2006, 12:58 PM) *

Be sure to check the two bushings inside the knuckle right behind the firewall. I had one side of them explode on me which left me with a very similar problem several months ago.

thanks everyone....I will check out the linkage and cone screw this weekend.... biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
tail or side shift? 1 & 2, reverse is fine? if you want to bang gears buy a mustang or camero (no offense intended).

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.