Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fiberglass Rear Lid?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ptravnic
What's the scoop w/these? I know they are lighter and therefore better for the racing crowd but what about us street people? My rear deck is a bit misshapen (vandalized) and rather than work it all out & figured a new lid would be most $ effective...
skline
I have FG front and rear lids on mine, The rear one bolted up nicely but refuses to sit flat in the rear. The front one fits ok but not like a factory lid would. If you are going for a race car, it would not make much difference as looks can be close enough, if you are going for a street car, the fit is crap and I would look at other options.

That is just my opinion
grantsfo
Lighter yes. Getting good quality fiberglass lids is the challenge. I have had good luck recently with GT Racing's fiberglass quality. They wont come close to the quality of fit of a good stock steel lid.

http://www.gt-racing.com/
jsteele22
I would be concerned that a FG rear lid wouldn't be heavy enough to destroy the hinges... av-943.gif
ptravnic
Funny, I've already gone through hinge repair...Had to fabricate a tool to do it - that was an interesting afternoon (actually my pops did the fabricating - but I cheered him on!)...

I think the steel lid sounds like the way to go. I'll have to fork out $250 for the deductable but after that, the insurance company is paying up...

Would like to hear more opinions though, and I apprec those so far.
Mueller
QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 28 2006, 10:39 AM) *

QUOTE(jsteele22 @ Apr 28 2006, 09:42 AM) *

I would be concerned that a FG rear lid wouldn't be heavy enough to destroy the hinges... av-943.gif

I must have missed something.

he made a funny...a bad one, but a funny biggrin.gif

I had the CF lids from Getty Design, they make fiberglass as well....the quality of my lids where perfect, if they make the 'glass ones with the same attention to detail you'll be happy......

turboman808
Dam I was hoping for my info. I plan to order these as soon as I have my car.

How much does switching to fiberglass bumpers and lids save in weight anyways?
Flat VW
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Apr 28 2006, 10:41 AM) *

How much does switching to fiberglass bumpers and lids save in weight anyways?

A bunch, less so with early bumpers, more so with late "black' bumpers.

Plus, reducing weight in the "worst" places at the extreme ends of the car and up "high".

John wavey.gif

P.S. They do not aid in "crash worthiness" , at all.
lapuwali
The stock rear trunk lid weighs 30lbs. The FG lids are typically 15lbs (each), and the carbon fiber lids are 10lbs. FG or CF front lids are, IMHO, a race only mod. You must remove the springs, as the composite lids flex too much to allow you to keep them. This means you'll have to futz with a prop rod every time to fill the gas tank.
Flat VW
I had camp914 gas struts to hold open the FG deck lids.

I also end up removing the spring from the the rear trunk latch as the trunk would almost constantly come ajar from nearly any type of driving.

It worked perfectly without the spring, opening too.

John
grantsfo
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Apr 28 2006, 12:45 PM) *

This means you'll have to futz with a prop rod every time to fill the gas tank.

3 foot length of 1"x2" piece of fir works great! No futzing with springs.
Rand
Or use the lightweight Camp914 gas shocks that are made for the lightweight lids. smile.gif
turboman808
I'd hardly call using a prop rod a inconvenience

Especialy on a car with no power windows, brakes, ac, heat or radio.
Mueller
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Apr 28 2006, 01:14 PM) *

I'd hardly call using a prop rod a inconvenience

Especialy on a car with no power windows, brakes, ac, heat or radio.

trust me, it's a PITA.....if the hood is open and the wind blows just right the prop rod falls...and so does hood....prop gets in the way of R&R'n the targa top
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.