Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fiberglass bumper finish
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michel richard
My GT project is again making progress. The tub is now in primer and should be done within a week or two. Finally.

But that means that we need to paint the bumpers. I'm doing the two-colour GT style, on Getty Design fiberglass bumpers.

Does anybody have thoughts on how to finish the paint on the bumpers? The tub is going to be painted in base and clearcoat, and will be high-gloss, obviously.
What to do on the bumpers ? They'll be base and clearcoat too, but we have to figure out a finish. My bodyman says doing two colours on the bumper and a matte or satin finish will be a delicate operation, but could probably be done.

What have others done ? what looks good ?

Michel
Flat VW
Please check the link in my signature below.

FG bumpers painted to look "stock".

John wavey.gif
iamchappy
I have been trying to figure out the best way of protecting the bumpers and gt
valance after there painted. Stone chips will destroy the finish on them in short order. Could a clear chip or stone guard paint work. or flexable bumper paint?
Flat VW
The painted FG parts seem to be more resilient to "stone damage" than the painted steel parts, I think more of 'um, bounce.

The bumpers are easily re-painted, although that clear "stoneguard" stuff might work well.

John
race914
QUOTE(michel richard @ Apr 28 2006, 12:17 PM) *

<I'm doing the two-colour GT style, on Getty Design fiberglass bumpers.>

<Does anybody have thoughts on how to finish the paint on the bumpers?>

<What have others done ? what looks good ?>

Michel

We used a satin finish and are happy with the results. Our Nurburgring GT Clone is a track car only so I just used Krylon so I can retouch as necessary.

Click to view attachment
brant
We painted ours ourself and use a PPG product known as a "flattening agent" You mix it with your regular paint and blend to the level of gloss you want. We mix to a semi-gloss level.

ours is a race car so the bumpers and valence are SEVERELY rock pitted and really need to be repainted once a year. Luckily they are easy to remove and easy to reshoot.

brant
michel richard
Thanks to all.

I think I'll have a satin finish, then. I'll report how it looks !

Michel
Qarl
There are some clear film products that are applied over the paint. You could look into these for your frequently pock-marked areas.

3M makes one. It can be cut to fit and is very durable.

I have it on my Elise.

campbellcj
I've been using satin or semi-gloss as well. Flat is too...flat...and glossy is too...glossy...go figure smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.