Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flat bed towing a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
type11969
I ran a search, but didn't find a definitive answer on this topic so . . . How should I go about tieing down my 914 to a flatbed trailer? It has no engine or trans or ebrake and the pass long is opened up pretty far. No doors, it has bracing across the pass. door, and from the pass seat belt mount to the drivers side door hinge. I remember reading that strapping the wheels down would work, would that be running a strap around the cirumference of the tire? Or perpendicular to to the circumference? Any other preferred methods?

Thanks,

Chris
Aaron Cox
i always do a strap through each wheel.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 28 2006, 04:46 PM) *

i always do a strap through each wheel.

Yep to that! & tie 'em tight enough to think you need air in the tires.
Trekkor
I do this 2-3 times a month. Never had a problem.

Through the wheels...Yep!

KT
Hammy
I did it on the wheels.
GWN7
There are several companys that make tire straps. They go around the wheels and cinch up. This is what most tow trucks use to flat bed various cars and work well on the 914. Depending on your type of wheels you might not get a strap thru them, but either way is the only safe way to trailer.
So.Cal.914
If you are just going to move it you can run a nylon snatch strap around the front

of the rear shocks and to the back of the trailer (one end to each corner). Then

use a come-a-long to the stock tow eye center of the front trunk pan. and run it to

the front of the trailer, snug it up gently but securley. I've hauled mine on the

freeway like that a few times. smoke.gif
Gint
Wheels are the easiest way. Unless you can't use the wheels. Then you use the rear shock mounts and the front control arm cross bars. Get under there and you'll see what I mean. That's what I ususally do and I've hauled several 914's 1000's of miles that way.
type11969
Thanks for the tips. Right now I have old VW steelies on it so I don't know if I am going to be able to get a strap through the cutouts, I'll have to go with the shock mounts and either the tow hook or control arm cross bar.

Anything I should definitely not tie down to (stuff that looks sturdy but shouldn't be used to support the car)?

Thanks,

Chris
Trekkor
Through steelies...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.