Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: professional grade wire connectors/plugs?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
anyone have any recommendations for professional grade wire connectors/plugs?

i'd like to get rid of the mess behind my 911 gauge cluster and i'd like to consolidate all wires for each individual gauge into one loom with a connector to unplug it.

anything like that out there?
idea.gif Andy
jasons
Go to digikey.com and order a printed catalog. The web catalog just has too much stuff to wade through if you don't know what you want.

One brand that comes to mind is Molex also AMP(Tyco). These are modular plugs. You have to crimp the pins individually and insert them into the plug. But they are similar to other quick release plugs in any car. I kind of assume thats what you are looking for.

AMP Tyco connectors
TimT
Tefzel is the wire you want, and those AMP connectors work nicely
URY914
I get all my electrical stuff from boating/marine stores. Much better quality than the FLAPS stuff. Good selection too.
Thorshammer

One word please:

WAYTEK.

Only place, no minimum, great to deal with anything your little heart desires.

Okay, more than one word.

Erik Madsen
SirAndy
QUOTE(Thorshammer @ Apr 28 2006, 08:06 PM) *

WAYTEK

these guys? http://www.waytekwire.com/

idea.gif Andy

PS: thanks for the leads, everyone! beerchug.gif
Dave_Darling
VDO sells the plugs that plug into the back of the stock dashboard gauges. Each comes with three crimp-on terminals as well as the plastic plug body.

I have one of the blister-packs in storage; it has the part number on it. I sent the number out to people a long while back, but don't know if anyone kept it or not.

If I can remember, I'll grab the part the next time I hit the storage spot.

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 28 2006, 09:03 PM) *

VDO sells the plugs that plug into the back of the stock dashboard gauges. Each comes with three crimp-on terminals as well as the plastic plug body.

I have one of the blister-packs in storage; it has the part number on it. I sent the number out to people a long while back, but don't know if anyone kept it or not.

If I can remember, I'll grab the part the next time I hit the storage spot.

yeah, but there's many more wires per gauge, and they're all over the place. some have 2 or 3 light bulbs, up to 2 individual ground wires, blinkers in the tach, low/high bean bulbs, etc. etc. etc. ...

i'd like to be able to have *all* the wires from each individual gauge go into a separate loom that ends with a connector/plug for easy disconnect ...
smile.gif Andy
Brett W
Andy, Go to a junkyard and take a pair or wire cutters. AS you walk through clip the plugs off of late model cars. I have boxes of plugs, pigtails, etc from many a late model car. I stick with Japanese cars because their connectors are really nice and you can un-pin them if you need.
914forme
agree.gif Thats what I do, but I go with GM, why, have the tools. Weather pack stuff is great, as long as it has not been exposed to high heat, becomes brittle.

I also tore out every subbie harness bit I could, they have some nice connectors there also.

Or you can use what us computer guys use which is Molex, can be found at most electronic type shops.

This is exactly how I did the instrument panel on my boat, wonderful when it cones time for service.
Porcharu
I like the "circular connectors" they have them at Digikey. These are black plastic versions of the milspec connectors.
jsteele22
Lots of good suggestions ! Thanks for mentioning Waytek. I hadn't come across them before, and for what they cover, they look great.
Brian Mifsud
USE Marine Grade wire any time you repair/replace/or upgrade anything in your car. It is very different from typical automotive grade wire.

Each strand in Tinned BEFORE they are woven/spun together into the multistrand "wire". This does LOADS to prevent corrosion from creating voltage drops. Also, anytime you crimp a wire to a connector, dip the end into a dielectric grease FIRST... this keeps the wire to crimp-connector joint corrosion free.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.