Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Site
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pat Garvey
beerchug.gif
OK, look now. I love 914Club (the non-Club). But.......I'm a Purist & most of you guys are not - I respect that, I I'll have my non-prist 914/6 someday. I've started a site devoted to "purists only" & hope it will be an assist to the, well, purist. I'll say agin, no slam intended. It's just that some of US are more concerned with restoration/prservation to factory standards, OK?

I'll always be on 914World.com, but, since I am a purist, want to weed out the modification stuff. This site is rudimentary, but is dedicated to purists only. No reason we can't "just get along".

For those who are die-hard purists, I invite you to check out www.914purists.com. I don't sell anything, no membership - just purist info.

It's my first web site , so be kind but helpful.

Thanks Pat Garvey

SirAndy
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 28 2006, 05:54 PM) *

but, since I am a purist, want to weed out the modification stuff.

you *could* just have asked us to set up a "purist" forum here ...

dry.gif Andy
edwardb33
Don't understand the "purist" thing being so different from what is available here.

URY914
I've never seen the word "purist" used so many times in one post. biggrin.gif

I think the site is a good idea. People need a place to go to get stright up facts on originality issues. We have become a group of modifiers/fabricators/we can do it better types. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I guess my car will never make the cover of your site. laugh.gif

Good luck,

Paul
Pat Garvey
biggrin.gif
OK, you're right- I COULD have asked. But, not wishing to make anyone's work more difficult, thought I'd try it myself. As I meant, no burns to anyone...it's just that a few of us are purists. We eat, sleep, & memorize these cars as they were DELIVERED. And, we want to keep them that way. No doubt about it from my point of view - I want a914-6 w/M471 option....but I want it real. Hell, I'd even be happy with a "creation" 914-6 but, ...you see my point. I have what I've had for 34 years & love it. OK, I'm biased, but I've been waiting for 20 years for these cars to get recognition & it seems to be starting...for original cars.

My 2 cents

Joe Bob
Why do I hear the sounds of crickets chirping and the Q Tips farting?
JeffBowlsby
Very nice job on the website Pat. Glad you are bringing attention to the common 4 cylinder cars...the others get lots of airtime already. I think there is something beautiful about the simple austerity of the basic 914 in stock form.

You are welcome to link to my 3 websites on your site if it will benefit your site. Have you seen them?

Do you have any photos of the original labels from your car that are different from those already on my 'Collectibles' webpage?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 28 2006, 07:19 PM) *

Do you have any photos of the original labels from your car that are different from those already on my 'Collectibles' webpage?

btw. jeff, two of the three "new" cars at EASY had factory labels all over the place.
engine bay etc. ...

smile.gif Andy
drewvw
Interesting idea for a site and a solid start. I too like the stock vintage car thing. Keep evolving it.
grantsfo
Life is too short to be a "Purist".
So.Cal.914
24 yr's ago my 914 was as stock as it gets, and it was Great. It was slow and it handled, well better than a cal look bug. but my buddys 911 abused me badly in the canyons. With a little help from my parts connect and my tool box I got even.

But every time I see a stock 14er I remember how inventive Vicky and I got in those day's sheeplove.gif
smoke.gif
John
Nice "unrestored" car on your site. I call those cars over-restored.

Someone should look at that rain tray and put the bolts back in (check driver side view). It's about to fall out. They should retouch that rusty spot on the support as well(also driver side view).

I was unaware that "purists" would paint the wheelwells non body color, or paint the suspension components an incorrect gloss black (not quite 'as delivered'). The gas tank is also too glossy.

Are those "purist" tires? I recall 155 or 165 (depending on year) as being the 'purist' tire size not 175.

It's a good idea, but I thought that the term was CW, not purist. (no offense)
McMark
I love a pure as-delivered car. Something about originality. If you were to play here, I'd love to participate, but I can't add another forum to my daily rounds. dry.gif All 914s are appreciated here, if you don't believe that you're not looking.

The diversity of this site is its attraction. We have:

People who love/hate body kits.
People who love/hate engine conversions.
People who love/hate six cylinder conversions.

The list goes on and on. In the end, we can all learn from each other.
Britain Smith
I am not sure how long you spent check out this site, but there is a fair share of purists here.

I consider my car to be close to pure...it is a two owner car, original paint, interior, 1.7L engine, etc. I did add a factory rear sway bar and aftermarket front bar, but that is it.

Spend some more time here, you will fit in just fine.

-Britain
olav
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 28 2006, 09:02 PM) *

I love a pure as-delivered car. Something about originality. If you were to play here, I'd love to participate, but I can't add another forum to my daily rounds. dry.gif All 914s are appreciated here, if you don't believe that you're not looking.

The diversity of this site is its attraction. We have:

People who love/hate body kits.
People who love/hate engine conversions.
People who love/hate six cylinder conversions.

The list goes on and on. In the end, we can all learn from each other.

People who luv burgers...
boxsterfan
Java. icon8.gif icon8.gif icon8.gif
GWN7
sorry, this place was created as a place where all 914 owners could come and hang out.

That means everyone from the CW to a the most rad modded car out there and I enjoy reading about them all.

It gives a newby a place to see how they should look and how they can be made to look.

What you do to your car, is up to the owner, after all it is your car. Who cares what others think. Cars are ment to give pleasure to the owner.

In some circles your car is no longer original if it is repainted. Even if you took it back to the factory and had the same guy paint it again with the same type of paint. Once it is repainted it a less then 100 point car. Change a screw, nut or bolt and it's no longer original. Hope you saved that first set of spark plugs.

example: Ford made 100 Model A's a few years ago, great crys went out because they wern't real model A's, but they were built by Ford in a Ford factory using all Ford parts from the original stampings. Real or not?
gregrobbins
Pat, I like the idea of some attention on "stock" cars. I have one of each, a stock '74 that I am working to get back to as stock as possible, and a '74 that has been modified for track and autocross.

I am sure there are others like me who appreciate both. Consider talking the the Admins of this site and adding a place for stock/concours cars or set up links to sites like Jeffs CamAm site, yours and others. Offer to be the forum moderator and I am sure they let you be involved.

I think it would be nice to have as much 914 stuff in one place as possible. There just aren't many of these cars left, or people like us who love them.

Admins, you know how the Classified page is broken down into sections, how about doing the same in "The Garage." I can see sections on: Stock/Concours, Autocross, Track Cars/Events, General Discussions, Six Conversions, V8 Conversions, Body Work/Kits, and a few more. Hell as the Non-Club becomes a Real Club, why not have regional chapters with their own information pages for activities and events.
Gustl
nice idea & nice page thumb3d.gif

just wondering about your COA - could anybody tell me what's a "Norwegian Equipment" confused24.gif

Pat, there are a little failures at the colour chips section:
8110 / L97D / 021 / metallic red wasn't available in 1971
I have both, the 1971 colour chart (#W29-100-0870-0104) and the 1971 special colours (W30-020-0870-0104) folder, but metallic red isn't included

B5V9 / L11D / berber yellow was available in 1975
standard and special colours 1975 (#1052.14) shows it

B2V9 / L13M / 2610 / was called saturn yellow in german, but chrome yellow in english

I didn't check the whole list, but these 3 were the first I noticed by watching it ...

wavey.gif Gustl
thesey914
I like it....very clean. I was going to wrap my wiring in the front boot because i thought most of it had fallen off -now i know it came like that from factory.
TJB/914
Hi guys,

Been away for a month or so. Hello to all my 914 friends.
Just got back to all these new changes!!! Jeez, I hate changes to a familiar site.

My comments on Purists & new Purists/CW sites.
I looked at the purist site and impressed with the work that went into it. I strongly suggest all 914 content stays on the 914-cl;ub site. Why not ask Andy for a seperate area like the sandbox to hang out with for like minded purists/CW's. I believe over time the purists site will die for lack of interest & content. It's a huge job to keep a site up and running. Why not just enjoy what you already have. The beautiful thing about 914's is the diverse group of people on this site from stupid modifications to original cars. We love them all and please stay on the 914-club site. Yes, everybody loves pure original 914's, but it's a small crowd when you sell (they are also cheap).

Tom
BTW
If you know my 914, it's restored original with a few hiden internal modifications. I could go on & on about originality, but my heart is Modified, hot rod type stuff with chev's, subu's, etc. I believe over time these modified (factory type race cars) 914's will bring the big bucks. Example: Look at the street rods, they appeal to a wider crowd and for every stock/purist car guy the ratio is 25 to 1 buyers for the modified well done cars. Again, stay with the 914-club if you want to play to a lager group of 914er's. Keep us informed & welcome.

Part Pricer
Ambitious project. I wish you well with it.

However, I just reviewed your entire site and there are a couple of things that are bugging me. I'm not trying to pick a fight, but more trying to understand. Please bear with me.
  1. You mention that the site is for purists. We get that. But, who is the arbiter of correctness? There is so much information and misinformation about these cars that has been circulated over the past 36 years that often manufactured memory is accepted as fact. This Non-Club, LLC has the greatest collective knowledge of 914s yet we often disagree on many issues. Again, who is the final judge and by what authority?
  2. I guess this is somewhat related to the item above, but I need to ask. As a background, I followed the 356 world for quite some time. There is a segment of that population that defines the term "purist" or CW. If I were to start a purist movement, I would definitely take a few pages from their book. Yet, your site seems to accept some arbitrary deviations from original stock as still being "pure" (M/C, sail panel vinyl). If I were a concours judge (believe me, I'm far from it), I'd probably be deducting points. I guess I view it like pregnancy, you either are or are not. There really is no middle ground.
Again, best of luck with it. It is always good to have another reference site available.
machina
i have collected alot of original factory prototype images if you want any of them for your site.
redshift
QUOTE(edwardb33 @ Apr 28 2006, 09:17 PM) *

Don't understand the "purist" thing being so different from what is available here.

Take a look at his avatar!

He's not one of us!

hehe

M
smooth_eddy
from the web site....This site is for 914-4/6 purists. Many 914's have been so heavily modified through
the years that original examples are few. My goal is to highlight these vehicles &
provide a sounding board and picture review for the owners of these rare cars.

Well I guess I don't qualify. Eddy
1970 Neun vierzehn
The 914 tent is big, with room enough for everyone smile.gif

Pat, your site shows a lot of work already and has a lot of potential for growth. But, it now needs a FORUM. (More work for you.) I think a dedicated OEM site will be useful for the preservationists among us, a source for 914 history and minutia, and a place for the "radical" 914 folks to get a laugh chairfall.gif

Potential Forum sites;

The Q-tip site....how to clean.........
The OEM site.....how it was built....
The History Channel.......how it was back when.....
The "Vault"....the source for the obscure, hard-to-find,....

Good luck Pat, I'll help when I can, and I'm adding you to me "Favorites" site thumb3d.gif
vortrex
wasn't that something like "always on" headlights?

QUOTE(Gustl @ Apr 28 2006, 10:48 PM) *

just wondering about your COA - could anybody tell me what's a "Norwegian Equipment" confused24.gif

LvSteveH
What will be the policy on naked women and off color humor on the new site?

Might I suggest that boobies be allowed, as long as they are natural, and still in their prime. After all, the site is for 914's that are all factory and as Dr. Porsche intended, the same policy should be applied to women and their depiction on the site. I think it would greatly expand interest and the demographic that the site appeals to. While I'm not an absolute 914 purist, I like to think that I'm a purist with regard to women. I much prefer the factory version without a lot of custom body work or trendy modifications.

I have also found that women, like cars, are much more reliable and easier to maintain if they are kept "original", and the long term value tends to be much higher as well.

There is something beautiful about 914's and women that have not been screwed up by a DAPO (Dumb Ass Previous Owner), and this site should be a celebration of both. Thank you for considering it.

thumb3d.gif
Allan
I like having electricity, running water and tv..

Oh wait, I thought you said Amish... beer.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 28 2006, 05:54 PM) *

I'm a Purist & most of you guys are not

The Purist Forum ...

hey pat, i can even make you a moderator for that forum, if you wish ...
beerchug.gif Andy
914forme
QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 28 2006, 09:18 PM) *

We have become a group of modifiers/fabricators/we can do it better types.

confused24.gif I thought you had to be to own a 914, it was part of the test I took before you signed the dotted line.

I am kinda with Andy on this one, I have pure 914-6 and then I have my fun car. Currently a 914-4 2.0L, but I will mod it any way shape I want. So if you need the purist zone just ask. It could easily been done, and still can be. But to have another place to go check, read keep track of is just not in my cards, sorry. I try to minimize my life to maximize my fun time. Adding one more site I got to visit each day, is just not very minimalist.

Sorry got to get back to drilling holes in my car, Mmmm 914 Swiss cheese.
JPB
I like the purist thang dude! Is there room for a purist/minimalist? What I mean is that I just yanked my old steel heat exchangers off and all the stock heat duhickies and repalced all that with a 4in1 header and supertrap. I like the old stuff but it was not symple enough. I also like my 1.7 & 2L engines but took all the fancy FI stuff and put carbs on the heads. I also liked the original steel wheels and hubcaps but replaced them with one piece aluminum rims less stuff to fool with ya know. I like all the original stuff but am big on removing clutter. Is there room for purist/minimalists like me in your group?

sawzall-smiley.gif Don't need that rear trunk floor either!
TJB/914
Mr Garvey,

I believe Andy's offer to moderate the Purist forum on the 914-club is very generous and something you should consider. I firmly believe your success will only happen on this site. Where else can you get a large 914 group to draw from. There are not enough purist's out there to support a future web site (long term). As other's have said, I don't want to jump around to other sites, I want to click on this site and support 914 growth (one size fits all). Everyone including myself will give you lots of help if you stay on the 914-club site. I believe Andy's offer is the best for all 914 collectors, purists, CW's, newby's or anyone interested in our 914's.

Tom
BTW. If you go your own way, don't come here looking for support and volunteers. Support will only come if your on this site. My 2-cents worth of advise. Hopefully you agree.
reddog
beerchug.gif
Brando
I have OEM Iron Oxide trim on my car. Was that a factory option?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brando @ Apr 29 2006, 10:36 PM) *

I have OEM Iron Oxide trim on my car. Was that a factory option?

does it have a VW part number on it? if not, it's aftermarket ...
av-943.gif Andy
Brando
Audi part number

ohmy.gif
Porcharu
I like it - I would like it more if it was here on the best 914 forum. Someone with photo skills needs to help you with the color chips page, they are way off. My monitor is pretty close to correct and those colors are not even close.
pfierb
Is a tweed sport coat with leather elbow patches and a bow tie a prerequisite for using the purist site?
redshift
Only if you drive an MGTD.

M
pfierb
QUOTE(redshift @ Apr 30 2006, 06:45 AM) *

Only if you drive an MGTD.

M

My feet are to big for the brake and clutch pedals.....guess I'm out
Pat Garvey
pray.gif

I gave this a few days to reap reactions before I responded. Only one of the responses raised the hair on my neck, so I guess that’s good. With that said, let me reiterate the point of my web site: “Maintained or Restored to factory spec's”, with the caveat that “We all add a personal touch or two, but they are tasteful/useful and make the individual owner happy.” OK, maybe that isn’t pure “purism”, but it suits me & I am the site administrator. ‘Nuff said about my web site. Go there or don’t, comment or don’t, contribute or don’t. No hard feelings, we all have a common general interest in the 914, no matter how we choose to play with it! If I had the time & $$ I’d have another 914 & probably mod the heck out of it….but I have ‘73T that’s waiting for those $$.

Thank you to all who posted favorable, as well as negative comments on this site – this IS a democracy. Thanks to everyone who’s been to my site & especially to those who have helped with a couple of corrections.

Since I’m trying to be brief here, I’d like to respond to several responders (names withheld):
1.) Q Tips, like mothers, do not fart!
2.) Keith Richards has never looked better
3.) My rain tray, which seems to have gone undetected as improper is from a ’73. The original is in my basement & goes back on for concours – hence the extra rain tray support that’s visible (yes, it does need refinishing).
4.) The wheel wells on my car are not “painted” black. That is dealer installed rustproofing from 1972, admittedly with Pledge on it.
5.) Suspension pieces started out as semi-gloss when refinished, but have been treated to polish so many times that they now have a too-glossy finish.
6.) The gas tank is “as-delivered” Never been polished, only dusted.
7.) The 175 Pirellis that are on the car are a personal touch for auto-x & general driving purposes. Since they are now 22 years old, they will be replaced with proper tires.
8.) I am fully aware that this group appreciates all 914’s & that’s why I come here almost daily. My site was created to suit my own desires & ideas – NOT to compete with this well-established/administered site. Why else would I give the link to this site?
9.) My site is meant to be for the 914 owner who attempts to keep the car as original as possible, while allowing for personal touches that can be undone so as to place the car in show/concours condition without it being uncompetitive. I have a little bit of experience competing & judging national level concours & will gig someone for non-originality, but that’s the price you pay for a personal touch. I have been gigged for items that are original to my car because early year cars were often made from transitional parts bins. I’ve also been gigged for personal touches, such as the lack of an external radio antenna – I just never had the guts to drill the fender! Personal touches.
10.) Still pondering the boobies suggestion
11.) No, I don’t have a tweed sport coat w/elbow patches. Nor do I own a bow tie, though look what that did for Greenspan.

Finally, I will continue to be a “non-member” of 914World.com. So long as I’m not ostracized. I’d be happy to help out with the new Forum if asked – I think it has a place here & should add to the fun. My site will continue for the time being. It’s a personal thing & I want to see how it goes.

So, I’ve had my say. I’ll not make any further plugs here for my site & probably shouldn’t have done so to start with. Sorry if anyone was offended, though received no comments to that effect.

Pat Garvey

SirAndy
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 1 2006, 10:19 AM) *

I’d be happy to help out with the new Forum if asked

PM sent ...

beerchug.gif Andy
nebreitling
nonsense, you should have definitely posted a link to your site. it's got quality info, it's 914-related, it's a no-brainer. i think some guys may have just felt ostracized because of what they took as an exclusionary use of 'purism' (am i not a purist too? hell, my 914 doesn't even have windows). but no bother, and i sincerely hope you aren't ostracized here.

i think the new concours forum will be a nice addition to the site, and i hope you admin it. i think there are quite a few members here whose emphasis is on originality, and we can all benefit by their interest.

p.s. bad time to invoke keith richards: http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3653384a1860,00.html
Scott S
"We are 914 owners who maintain our cars as the factory delivered them. Our
914's are for show, autocross or pleasure driving. But they are original in
appearance and specifications. We all add a personal touch or two, but they are
tasteful/useful and make the individual owner happy."

"Most of use have, either for personal or safety reasons - not a problem if
you've done it properly. Brembo brakes - problem. Upgrades to a 19 mm
master cylinder - OK, & no brainer. GT flares on a 4 banger - problem.
Removed the vinyl from the sail panels - no problem. Get the drift????"

Yep. Arbitrarily pure as you see fit... also known simply as your opinion.

Bottom line, it either came that way or it didn't.
Joe Bob
Hey....top two, my work is done....
arc914
Mesage to pat
very nice job on the site and i am a purist although i have found my home here at the914club.I can only dedicate so much time and the club gives me opinions from across the spectrum.
I want my 73 to look as good as it did the day it rolled off the assembly line accept my original engine disappeared long before i own the car so i can only try to get as close with out sacrificing reliability.
i like hearing from both side it gives me ideas and to see what inginuity there is out there.
This is a place for all teeners to call home from purist to renegades to sixers to autocrossers. if you own a teener in any form you can come a visit any time and ill buy the beer.
Cheers beerchug.gif
Andrew in the heart of the great lakes
PS anyone heard from Korijo lately still waiting on a part.
Andrew
LvSteveH
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 1 2006, 10:19 AM) *

Only one of the responses raised the hair on my neck, so I guess that’s good.

Pat Garvey

If my post inspired the aforementioned hair raising, I would like to blame Mike Z, he’s a bad influence on me. I am also happy to have been nominated to the top 10, even if it was in 10th place.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.