Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WHICH IS BETTER
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

I.Y.O. Which is better. I have a nice set of 1.7 heads,should i port ,polish,& match
to intake and exhaust manifolds,install 2.0 valves. Jake seems to like the 1.7 head better. Or just buy and rebuild a set of 2.0 heads. engine is 2.0 bore & stroke,with 40.ID.Fs and carb cam,but has 1.7 heads. I can port & polish & match
myself . I there a big difference in port size between the stock 2,0 &the 1.7?
Whats your opinion?
Dave slap.gif
machina
the 1.7's are great if you are going to be doing lots of mods because there is more metal in the right places.

the 2.0's already have the better plug location and bigger valves etc.

any of these old heads are dicey because there can be lots of hidden problems and the repair can start to add up quickly. I don't think len hoffman will even work on any more 2.0 heads. He did mine a while back.
davep
The 2.0 heads are much better than a 1.7 in stock form. However, with cubic dollars, a 1.7 head can be modified to have the 2.0 plug location, port sizes and valves. Maxxed out, I don't know if there is any performance difference or cost difference.
Joe Bob
2.0 heads while better in design, valve size etc, tend to drop seats more often.....
JeffBowlsby
1.7L on the left, 2.0L on the right

1st photo intake, 2nd photo exhaust
McMark
Jeff, your picture is a square port 2.0 bus head. wink.gif Not exactly representative of what he's looking for. The 914 2.0 head has a different exhaust port profile. But that picture show exactly why Jake's found significant power from square port heads.

Back to the question, the 914 2.0 head (three intake bolts) is worth around 10 hp. Bolt on, every engine. If you can get 2.0 heads in decent shape, get them and run them. No choice, no decision.
Katmanken
Dave,

Why don't you go pick up a copy of the June? Hot VW's magazine?

Get the one with Jake Raby's mug and engine article in it.

He is supposed to unveil some heads that he and Len developed that work better than anything else- including the 2.0 head. He is supposed to have test data to back it up...

Ken
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.