Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Rear Fog Light Switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cdn914
What does the switch (insert in particular) for the 914 rear fog light look like? Is it red? I would like to see a photo and know if anyone has one for sale.
I am still looking for part of the bracket as well.

Gord Luy
cdn914@mts.net
McMark
Very few 914s came with a rear fog light stock.

I would find it hard to image there was a second switch. If it's foggy, you're going to want front and rear fog lights on, which means they can be run off of one switch. When I wired up a custom rear fog light, that's what I did. One switch turned on all three lights.
cdn914
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 29 2006, 08:28 AM) *

I would find it hard to image there was a second switch. If it's foggy, you're going to want front and rear fog lights on, which means they can be run off of one switch. When I wired up a custom rear fog light, that's what I did. One switch turned on all three lights.

I already have wired the car for the rear fog light using the factory wiring originally intended for the rear window defogger, as my 914 (914-6) does not have this option. I will explain how I did this in a future "article" in case anyone else is interested. I know that the 911s had a separate rear fog light switch and mostly for novelty sake, I prefer a separate switch. I even had a factory rear fog light wiring harness I modified for the purpose. I have posted this question about the rear fog light switch also to some of the VW crowd as any switch likely was from the VW Hella parts bin.
Mark Henry
The front fog light switch itself is the same switch as the rear window defog switch. It is a standard switch that was used in early beetles for the emergency flashers.

Sorry no clue on the insert.
914Sixer
I remember having a car with the rear foglight. It had the green insert for the fronts and a yellow(Late style) one for the rear. I do not know if this was correct though.

The bracket parts are NLA.
cdn914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 29 2006, 06:02 PM) *

I remember having a car with the rear foglight. It had the green insert for the fronts and a yellow(Late style) one for the rear. I do not know if this was correct though.

The bracket parts are NLA.

This is what I intend to do unless I hear that a different insert is correct for the rear fog light switch. I have the base of the bracket, but am missing the angled part similar to what another 914er on this site is looking for.
John
The fog lights (front and rear {if rear is provided}) are all energized by the same (single) fog light switch just as they are done on euro 911/930s.

I believe that there were two distinct fog light switch inserts green (early) and amber (late). Both were illuminated switches (illuminated when on). [the parts book only lists an amber one]

Normally, a single rear fog lamp (901.631.251.00) is mounted (driver side).

just my $0.02
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Apr 29 2006, 07:39 PM) *

The fog lights (front and rear {if rear is provided}) are all energized by the same (single) fog light switch just as they are done on euro 911/930s.

I believe that there were two distinct fog light switch inserts green (early) and amber (late). Both were illuminated switches (illuminated when on). [the parts book only lists an amber one]

just my $0.02

agree.gif

i have an early green switch for the stock fog wiring, and i used a late amber one for the hella rally lights.

johnman is right - one switch did front and rear fogs.
pfierb
QUOTE(cdn914 @ Apr 29 2006, 04:12 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 29 2006, 08:28 AM) *

I already have wired the car for the rear fog light using the factory wiring originally intended for the rear window defogger, as my 914 (914-6) does not have this option. I will explain how I did this in a future "article" in case anyone else is interested. I know that the 911s had a separate rear fog light switch and mostly for novelty sake, I prefer a separate switch. I even had a factory rear fog light wiring harness I modified for the purpose. I have posted this question about the rear fog light switch also to some of the VW crowd as any switch likely was from the VW Hella parts bin.

I have a Hella rear fog lite from about 30 years ago still in the original box and the switch is is mounted on a bracket that bolts to the underside of the dash.....also the switch knob is amber colored and lights up when the switch is pulled out to the on position.
East coaster
This is a factory fog light installed flush in the rear panel by the factory. It's a 1971 and had a green insert in the switch.

Click to view attachment
TJB/914
Hey Guys,
Been researching this rear fog light installation & parts required for some time & here is what I believe is "factory correct". I have attached the parts diagram showing brackets, etc.

First thing regarding the correct "factory" suggested mounting. Rear fog light goes on the driver side. height of the fog lamp is determined by bracdet #87 then positioned along side the tail light. Many were mounted differently, but this is factory suggested or was dealer installed.

Here are a few pictures showing misc items. Hopefully I can include all my pics in one frame. Note: one of the pics showing the rear of my fog light has a 911 bracket. I need to find & replace it with bracket #86. Anyone have one?? I need it.

TJB/914
Forgot to add these pictures.

One picture shows where bracket #87 fits inside the trunk & how it will determine height of the fog lamp outside.

Other picture was sent to me by Aaron some time back showing a correct factory mount fog lamp. I might position it closer to the tail light if it was me???

I also understand both front & rear fog lights were on the same switch.

Tom
TJB/914
Again,

Thought I would add a little CW interest story to my above post. Notice the picture of the inside of my truck area showing the wiring wrapped in electrical tape.

Story:
When I restored my car I took the wiring apart to clear & restore. Putting it back together I could not find the correct tape (it's not available in the U.S.). It's in mm & about 1/2" wide made of a cloth type material (Germany issue). I ended up cutting down 3/4" electrical tape into 1/2" strips to duplicate the original attachment. One of my good buddy's (Gary Stellmach) had a friend visiting from the East Coast. Bob's a real CW nut. First thing he noticed Mr eagle eye Bob from the East Coast & pointed it out. Moral of the story: Don't be a CW it's an illness.

Tom
So there, that's a non factory restored part on my car. BTW it's only in the rear trunk area. I fixed all the other wiring harness to "factory" (Mr. Bob East Coast CW flipa.gif ).
Eric_Shea
i have an early green switch for the stock fog wiring, and i used a late amber one for the hella rally lights

That's what I wanna do... wub.gif
cdn914
QUOTE(East coaster @ Apr 30 2006, 03:11 AM) *

This is a factory fog light installed flush in the rear panel by the factory. It's a 1971 and had a green insert in the switch.

Click to view attachment

East coaster,

Do you have any additional photos (from side and back) of how your rear fog light is mounted? Yours is noticeably different than those which appear to use the factory bracket. I find the factory bracket to look clumsy causing the fog light to stick out from the rear panel too much. What brand of rear fog light is on your 914? I have a chrome Hella unit but it is more bulky than what you have.

Gord
boxstr
Hockey stick tape cut in half, for the correct width, duplicates the factory cloth tape used to wrap the wirning looms on the 914 and other a Porsches.
CCLINCW
michel richard
QUOTE(boxstr @ Apr 30 2006, 08:35 AM) *

Hockey stick tape cut in half, for the correct width, duplicates the factory cloth tape used to wrap the wirning looms on the 914 and other a Porsches.
CCLINCW

And a person from Oregon, or the California desert knows about hockey stick tape ? I'm officially impressed.

Go Habs Go.

rickyhgarcia
Where can all these parts be sourced from? Especially bracket #87 which determines the height of the lamp fixture.

I installed a JWest Engineering fog lamp flasher kit. It is mentioned here that front and rear fog lamps used the same cabin switch. Would the flasher kit also trigger the rear lamp?

Is there a correct exact location of the lamp relative to the driver side´s rear light lens?
TJB/914
Ricky,

Bracket #87 can still be purchased through your local Porsche dealer. I bought mine about 6-months ago and the cost was about $5.00 plus another $25.00 to ship out of Germany. Here's a picture of a sketch I made up from the original part. Hope that helps. With bracket #87 is like a no brainer.
Note: Bracket #86 is no longer available. Need to find one in circulation??? I am thinking about having my 100% German hertage wife make me one. That way it's original German made. It will be expensive & she is one block headed German to work with (but I love her anyway).

Tom
sjhowitson
Now I want one. Does anybody have a picture of the fog light turned on. I would like to see how bright it is.
eg914
Rear fogs are BRIGHT. I had one on my old type 3, and have seen them on other cars, usually used at the wrong time. I have read that rear fog lights should be used only when visibility is below 50 yards (doesn't seem very far). I think front fog lights can be used under slightly better conditions. Seems like this would imply separate switches for the lights. Does anyone have actual visibility distances for front and rear fog light use?
rickyhgarcia
QUOTE(eg914 @ Apr 30 2006, 11:01 AM) *

Rear fogs are BRIGHT. I had one on my old type 3, and have seen them on other cars, usually used at the wrong time. I have read that rear fog lights should be used only when visibility is below 50 yards (doesn't seem very far). I think front fog lights can be used under slightly better conditions. Seems like this would imply separate switches for the lights. Does anyone have actual visibility distances for front and rear fog light use?

agree.gif ...I normally keep my front fog lamps on at night (with main head lights) all the time...
rickyhgarcia
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Apr 30 2006, 09:21 AM) *

Ricky,

Bracket #87 can still be purchased through your local Porsche dealer. I bought mine about 6-months ago and the cost was about $5.00 plus another $25.00 to ship out of Germany. Here's a picture of a sketch I made up from the original part. Hope that helps. With bracket #87 is like a no brainer.
Note: Bracket #86 is no longer available. Need to find one in circulation??? I am thinking about having my 100% German hertage wife make me one. That way it's original German made. It will be expensive & she is one block headed German to work with (but I love her anyway).

Tom

Tom,

Thanks for all the info.

Is the P/N for the lamp itself (i.e. #76) 901.631.251.10?

Also, this fixture seems to be bolt mounted...so, holes are to be drilled on the rear panel...correct?

Do you have the dimensions of part #86? If you have a detailed diagram of this part, I can have it made.

I also check in the Auto Atlanta web site for the P/N´s 914-631-161-10 and 914-631-162-10. They name these pieces support and headlight bracket respectively. Head light bracket???

Thanks,

Ricky
TJB/914
Ricky,

We need to talk, Can you email me @ tjbliznik@ameritech.net

I have another fog lamp (spare) you may be interested in. I also need to make a pattern for bracket #86. I already played around and know the approx dimensions. It would be easy to do with a little metal working experiance. After it's made remember it should be Yellow DiChromate plated to be factory original to meet CW standards (including the nuts/bolts). Maybe the CW's will let you paint bracket #86 satin black to match the back of the fog lamp??? CW police are sick KMA.gif

Tom

Thor
QUOTE(rickyhgarcia @ Apr 30 2006, 11:29 AM) *

agree.gif ...I normally keep my front fog lamps on at night (with main head lights) all the time...

Overhere in Belgium this can cost you over $ 200 ...
Aaron Cox
what do you guys think?

Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 30 2006, 08:45 PM) *

what do you guys think?

hummm
Niklas
Does anyone have a drawing of the foglight bracket no 86 and 87 in this thread ?
Need 2 pcs of each for my cars.

Niklas
TJB/914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 29 2006, 10:41 PM) *

<!-- quoteo(post=671075:date=Apr 29 2006, 07:39 PM:name=JOHNMAN) --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Apr 29 2006, 07:39 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!-- quotec -->

just my $0.02
<!-- QuoteEnd --></div><!-- QuoteEEnd -->

agree.gif

i have an early green switch for the stock fog wiring, and i used a late amber one for the hella rally lights.

johnman is right - one switch did front and rear fogs.

agree.gif

Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.