Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smoke!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
terrymason
So I've gotten my porsche running, and have let it idle in my driveway, but it seems that I get smoke coming out of my defroster. I have the windows down, and I'm not exactly sure where it's coming from - could this be some recirculated exhaust?

It doesn't smell any different, and will happen only when the car is on, and happens consistently, so I'm not sure it's electrical. Where is the fresh air intake on these things?

My fan blower doesn't work, and I don't know what the blower controls do (I have three slider knobs). While the car was running, I slid the knobs all over the place, and got smoke to come up from my feet somewhere. I then promptly freaked out and turned it off.

Any ideas? I'm hoping that the exhaust smoke is just getting pulled in the car while I'm idling.

Terry
Allan
Sounds like you have oil leaking onto the heat exchangers which will draw it up into the cabin. Check for oil leaks, especially from the push rod tube seals...
J P Stein
Better that than "magic smoke", eh?
Allan
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Apr 29 2006, 10:06 AM) *

Better that than "magic smoke", eh?

blink.gif biggrin.gif

All fixed.....
terrymason
Thanks. I just started it up again, and didn't see any smoke

This car has sat for a couple of years, and I have just resurrected it - it hadn't been run more than 5 minutes before today. I let it idle about 15 minutes, and the idle speed is already starting to level out and the engine sounds happier.

I also took the steering wheel off to see if there was smoke there (fear of an ignition problem), but didn't see any. I suspect what oil that dripped down in the engine has burnt out.

Thanks!
srb7f
Yeah, anytime I've put a motor in that's been sitting awhile, it always smokes for the first 10 minutes or so that it runs. Doesn't seem to come out of any particular location, but just sort of everywhere. Not a problem unless it persists.
East coaster
Probably just cooked the mice that were living in the heat exchangers!! jsharp.gif
Midtowner
Could be water vapor. Happens from time to time under the right tempature conditions. You said "it doesn't smell any different" leading me to believe you are seeing water vapor. I've seen this in several cars that I have owned. blink.gif
Toast
MINE DOES THE SAME THING!

It eventually goes away after it has warmed up and been driven for at least 15 minutes. The longer I let it sit (in days) the more smoke their is.

It's caused from a small oil leak onto the heat exchangers. When the car is running, the heat exchangers heat up (even if you dont have the heater on) and the oil burns until it burns completely off. My blower does not work either, but the smoke still comes in the cab. It sucks.

DON'T LIFT THAT HEATER LEVER! Man that smoke will bellow in! icon8.gif

Depending on how big the leak is determines the amount of time that it will take for the smoke to quit. One of these days I might actually get that fixed. rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.