Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HEY V8ers Carb/Distributor Q
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
marks914
Just was swapping out the Holley double pumper for an Edelbrock unit.

I can never remember which vacuum port to connect the distributor vacuum advance to. Timed or manifold?

Its a 78 Chevy 305, stock HEI with no EGR.

Any help appreciated, I guess its a 50-50 shot.

Thanks
Mark
messix
timed
marks914
Thanks!

I'll be running in a few.

Mark
nick mironov
I have a Holley 4-barrel and I use the metered vacuum port (no vaccum advance at idle). If you use manifold vacuum, you will get vacuum advance at idle. It seems that people are split over which one is best and experimentation with both is recommended.

It seems to me that the selection of metered vs. maniflod vacuum would also be dependant on the overall ignition advance you are using. I also have a stock GM HEI and have 11 degrees if initial advance, 20 degree mechanical advance with medium springs that are all ib by 3,000 rpm, and the adjustment on the vacuum advance canister is set at about mid-point. I have not experimented much with other combinations, but plan to do so.

What is your advance curve like?

Nick
marks914
QUOTE(nick mironov @ Apr 29 2006, 09:43 AM) *

I have a Holley 4-barrel and I use the metered vacuum port (no vaccum advance at idle). If you use manifold vacuum, you will get vacuum advance at idle. It seems that people are split over which one is best and experimentation with both is recommended.

It seems to me that the selection of metered vs. maniflod vacuum would also be dependant on the overall ignition advance you are using. I also have a stock GM HEI and have 11 degrees if initial advance, 20 degree mechanical advance with medium springs that are all ib by 3,000 rpm, and the adjustment on the vacuum advance canister is set at about mid-point. I have not experimented much with other combinations, but plan to do so.

What is your advance curve like?

Nick

I thought it was timed vacuum.

My advance is bone stock, whatever that is; with a touch of twist the dizzy until it knocks and then back a bit.

Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.