Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welcome!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
SirAndy
Hello "Purist"!

Please use this forum to share/discuss/expand your knowledge regarding the "Concours" aspects of our little cars ...
beerchug.gif Andy

PS: i intend to eventually compile the most important info from this section into a easy to navigate collection and add it to the "914 Info" page ...
grasshopper
did we really need this andy?? what is wrong with the garage?? dry.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Apr 29 2006, 03:50 PM) *

i don't think we need it, but we'll see. if it works out, we'll have a one stop place to get the latest CW info, if not, we'll have a empty fair-ground ...

sounds like a win-win situation for the club ...
biggrin.gif Andy
grasshopper
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 29 2006, 02:53 PM) *

QUOTE(grasshopper @ Apr 29 2006, 03:50 PM) *

if not, we'll have a empty fair-ground ...

sounds like a win-win situation for the club ...
biggrin.gif Andy

I like fairs icon_bump.gif
Dead Air
I already belong to another "purist" site on the internet, It's run by another east coaster!
This looks like an ambitious undertaking, Andy. I hope it doesn't keep you from your other duties on the club. wink.gif

I'll start...
"why should I be a 914 Purist"
Beacause
1. keeping the stock paint color is easier than painting the whole tub.
2. My girl friend likes the side marker lights.
3. I don't have any money for, Carbs, a 3.6 twin spark, a 911 suspension, or steel flares.
4. The more stock the car is, the sooner it'll be done.
5. My car didn't come with a plaid interior.
6. I only need one chrome washer nozzle, a chrome "2.0" and some aluminum pop rivets for parts bin to be complete.
7. The "stressed" look of a well broken-in interior is hard to duplicate with new parts.
TJB/914
Andy,

Just noticed this new site on 914-Club.

Hope it works out & I plan to contribute. Hope that guy from Blue Balls, PA joins in the fun.

Tom
Flat VW
dancinnanner.gif
watsonrx13
Andy, thanks. I too hope that we can compile a lot of original information for this site. As I have 'restored' the cars that I've owned, I have been leaning more towards the orginality of the design. Yes, there are certain things that can/should be modified/improved for more enjoyment, but this forum will allow everyone to share their experience. I know that Steve Gaglione will/should be a serious contributor, once he finishes his 'assignment' in N.O.

-- Rob
rick 918-S
do you have to have a CW car to contribute? idea.gif
Andyrew
Cool.. another forum section I wont pay much attention to

biggrin.gif
TJB/914
Hi Andy.

We just heard from Mr Pat Garvey. Looks like he officially is on board. Can you give the executive stamp of approval???

I don't want this thankless job & welcome our new Moditator!!!!! smile.gif

Tom

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ May 2 2006, 06:58 AM) *

Hi Andy.

We just heard from Mr Pat Garvey. Looks like he officially is on board. Can you give the executive stamp of approval???

I don't want this thankless job & welcome our new Moditator!!!!! smile.gif

Tom

bs.gif Oh great! "thankless job"? I feel so warmy & fuzzy now!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ May 2 2006, 07:58 AM) *

yes. he is here. officially.
welcome.png

and he *is* a forum moderator. so you better behave, or else ...
slap.gif Andy
914runnow
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 29 2006, 02:45 PM) *

Hello "Purist"!

Please use this forum to share/discuss/expand your knowledge regarding the "Concourse" aspects of our little cars ...
beerchug.gif Andy

PS: i intend to eventually compile the most important info from this section into a easy to navigate collection and add it to the "914 Info" page ...

Well I am hooked!!!!!!!
I will be glad to pop my .02 in from time to time.....
My alias: Q/Tip-914Geek- The Butcher of Cenntennial sawzall-smiley.gif
hope this sticks around agree.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(914runnow @ May 2 2006, 04:24 PM) *

Hello "Purist"!

Please use this forum to share/discuss/expand your knowledge regarding the "Concourse" aspects of our little cars ...
beerchug.gif Andy

Well I am hooked!!!!!!!

clap56.gif
Several things come to mind from this post. #1 - .02 should be changed to somehting higher, given the benchmark that Barrett-Jackson recently placed. #2 - "Butcher of Centennial"? please tell me what that means, since I live on Centennial Dr (are you watching?). #3 - Can we PLEASE get rid of this "concourse" text? #4 - Thanks foe letting me contriute!!!!!! mueba.gif
914runnow
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 2 2006, 05:04 PM) *

QUOTE(914runnow @ May 2 2006, 04:24 PM) *

Hello "Purist"!

beerchug.gif Andy

Well I am hooked!!!!!!!

clap56.gif
Several things come to mind from this post. #1 - .02 should be changed to somehting higher, given the benchmark that Barrett-Jackson recently placed. #2 - "Butcher of Centennial"? please tell me what that means, since I live on Centennial Dr (are you watching?). #3 - Can we PLEASE get rid of this "concourse" text? #4 - Thanks foe letting me contriute!!!!!! mueba.gif

I have a passion for dissmantling 914's ....then taking a sawzall
to them.........
Out of the 10 I have had in the past 7 years......
(my garage queen not included)(thatsince 94...4 cyl. 2.0 73 1/2 Phoenix Red
One sits at a storage trying to drop motor from fire..
One on side of house...two others have beeeeensoooooled!
The others:::::::::: Butchered by Sawzall!!!!!! sawzall-smiley.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 2 2006, 06:04 PM) *

#3 - Can we PLEASE get rid of this "concourse" text?

well, not to rub it in or anything, but *someone* here is now a moderator ...

use your powers, young garvey, use your powers ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
Pat Garvey
As of this date, this forum is evolving - thankfully! It's primary purpose now is to promote and provide information available for preservation and/or restoration to original spec 914's (both). 914 discussion here is NOT intended to be solely for the CW (I REALLY hate that designation!).

If you have even a passing interest in, or have quetsions conceerning originality on 914 models, this is the place:

Original owner & want to impart your wisdom - your place!

Not the original owner, but want to be certain it's kept so - your place!

Restoring & have originality questions - your place!

Thinking about dipping your toe into the concours waters - your place!

Veteran of concours - your place!

Just an originality geek - your place!

Converting a four to a six - may be your place, if you want it to look "real"

Putting a "subie" or "chebbie" into your 914 - go to the Garage Forum (no slam to those who do, but this is NOT the place).

Flame on! You can always have the moderator fired. And, I WILL moderate at my discretion.

TJB/914
Hi Pat & concours guys.

I will not be around for the next few weeks. Have important things to take care of & will check in once in a while. I have lots to post, but other things take preference.

Tom
BTW: Important stuff is,
Very busy with work (Power & Utility Industry).
Baby sitting our daughters (2) boys for a week while our daughter & son-in-law visit Guatemala for an adoption of a little girl. Wife will need all my help for this first of two visits before they bring her (Megan) to the U.S.A later this year.
type4org
QUOTE(Dead Air @ Apr 30 2006, 08:56 AM) *

I haven't had my low-mileage original '76 with the aforementioned orange/black plaid for long, but it gets positive comments from everyone who sees it. Plaid rocks wink.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(type4org @ Jul 30 2006, 12:19 PM) *

I haven't had my low-mileage original '76 with the aforementioned orange/black plaid for long, but it gets positive comments from everyone who sees it. Plaid rocks wink.gif

Pics?
type4org
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 30 2006, 09:15 PM) *

Pics?

Sorry for the delay - car is in the shop sad.gif but I found another picture to show at least a little bit:

Click to view attachment
Pat Garvey

I already belong to another "purist" site on the internet, It's run by another east coaster!
This looks like an ambitious undertaking, Andy. I hope it doesn't keep you from your other duties on the club. wink.gif

I'll start...
"why should I be a 914 Purist"
Beacause
1. keeping the stock paint color is easier than painting the whole tub.
2. My girl friend likes the side marker lights.
3. I don't have any money for, Carbs, a 3.6 twin spark, a 911 suspension, or steel flares.
4. The more stock the car is, the sooner it'll be done.
6. I only need one chrome washer nozzle, a chrome "2.0" and some aluminum pop rivets for parts bin to be complete.
7. The "stressed" look of a well broken-in interior is hard to duplicate with new parts.

Thought about this post for a while......my remarks - and by now you should all know I AM an opinionated bastard!
1. Exactly
2. I like them too, maybe your girlfiriend & I should disucc further.
3. So, drive the car!
4. My '72 has been "done" for 34 years.
5. Neither did mine - it's not a '75 or '76
6. pop rivets? better be a '75/76
7. take a look at this Forum & check out a "well broken-in interior" They ain't broken in. In particular, look at the '72 cars. See anything "broken in"

Finally, you are free to do what you wish with your 914 - so are we. We prefer (some of us) to keep/make it what it was. To increase our enjoyment. To increase its worth. To have something different, yet original.

See, I kept my emotions in check!
Pat Garvey
Just so everyone who visits this Forum understands....

This IS a CW Forum - we are neo-purists. We welcome alternative ideas, but our goal is to keep our 914's as close to original as possible. That means, where possible, original finishes, parts, condition and operation. While we recognize that many original parts are NLA, and that functionality is paramount, use of non original materials is not condoned if NOS/refurbished materials are available.

Now, with that said, you should all understand that I have been chosen to be the Moderator of this Forum. You should also know that I am opinionated, as well as a hard core purist. I will "tell it like it is". I will "step on some toes", for the sake of originality for 914s. I make no apologies, though I do make mistakes. And, I do not KNOW EVERYTHING, but I will attempt to help set the record straight. I am not afraid of being corrected when I'm wrong. It's a form of learning.

We're here to keep the original 914's just that. There are other 914Club Forums designed for other purposes.

With some recent posts (unnamed), I thought it proper to re-establish the purpose of this Forum. Of course, the members can always remove/sanction me if they think I'm extreme. Just trying to do what I think is my job.
Pat
914runnow
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 12 2006, 09:01 PM) *

This IS a CW Forum - we are neo-purists. We welcome alternative ideas, but our goal is to keep our 914's as close to original as possible. That means, where possible, original finishes, parts, condition and operation. While we recognize that many original parts are NLA, and that functionality is paramount, use of non original materials is not condoned if NOS/refurbished materials are available.

Now, with that said, you should all understand that I have been chosen to be the Moderator of this Forum. You should also know that I am opinionated, as well as a hard core purist. I will "tell it like it is". I will "step on some toes", for the sake of originality for 914s. I make no apologies, though I do make mistakes. And, I do not KNOW EVERYTHING, but I will attempt to help set the record straight. I am not afraid of being corrected when I'm wrong. It's a form of learning.

We're here to keep the original 914's just that. There are other 914Club Forums designed for other purposes.

With some recent posts (unnamed), I thought it proper to re-establish the purpose of this Forum. Of course, the members can always remove/sanction me if they think I'm extreme. Just trying to do what I think is my job.
Pat

Hey Pat.....What is the legal cha cha..
Above where it say's 914club Forums..
Do the old posts need to say 'World'??
Sorry was just wunderin.. confused24.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(914runnow @ Dec 27 2006, 12:49 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 12 2006, 09:01 PM) *

Pat

Hey Pat.....What is the legal cha cha..
Above where it say's 914club Forums..
Do the old posts need to say 'World'??
Sorry was just wunderin.. confused24.gif

A VERY GOOD QUESTION! One for which I do not have an answer right now. Not certain of the legal aspects of editing text items because I'm not sure who the "legal" owner is. Will try to get an answer, though
Pat
OU8AVW
Perhaps someone should start this thing in the right direction. I am somewhat of a restoration purest but I am forced to deal with the car I have.....

It is a March 1971 car. I am the ????owner and I have no clue what has been changed. As I look into this sight I am learning and checking my car with a new everyday. I posted this question a while back....

My interior is all leather. No it is not vinyl that looks like leather, it is cow hide. Door panels, back pad and all seat pads. Recently my neighbor recovered my seat pads and used a textured leather. I am not particularly happy with the result, but it actually looks cool against the smooth leather of the back pad and seat bolsters. Someone said that no 914-4s had leather. Is this true, because given the quality of the work, it has to be original. WTF.gif

This is a non- appearance group car in that the bumpers are black and there is a minimal of equipment.

Another thing, color code says Artic White. The car is now orange. I dislike both colors. The geek in me says go back to Artic, but the kid in me says Meteor Grey! The answer to this dilemma will potentially decide my welcome in this particular forum blink.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
Your questions are good, valid and appropriate to this Forum, but they would get better exposure as a regular "post" or "thread" in the forum section immediately below these specific "nailed' topics (bumpers, interiors, engine compartments, etc.)

Back to your question, though. In the 34 years that I've been around 914s, in all the reading and reference materials that I have or have come across, including factory information, I have never seen a specification, reference, photo, or even an implication that the factory ever put a leather interior in a /4. Since a previous owner has repainted the car in a color not original to its "as-built" spec, it would not be unreasonable to suspect that at sometime in your cars' existence, a P/O had a leather interior installed.

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jan 7 2009, 09:29 PM) *

Your questions are good, valid and appropriate to this Forum, but they would get better exposure as a regular "post" or "thread" in the forum section immediately below these specific "nailed' topics (bumpers, interiors, engine compartments, etc.)

Back to your question, though. In the 34 years that I've been around 914s, in all the reading and reference materials that I have or have come across, including factory information, I have never seen a specification, reference, photo, or even an implication that the factory ever put a leather interior in a /4. Since a previous owner has repainted the car in a color not original to its "as-built" spec, it would not be unreasonable to suspect that at sometime in your cars' existence, a P/O had a leather interior installed.

Paul

I will echo Pauls comments.

But the determining factor is the Certificate of Authenticity from Porsche. If one pays the bucks, they usually get a definitive answer to the vagaries of the 914 they own.

IF (IF) the questioner has a FACTORY leather interior, it will be noted on the COA. If not so noted, it is not Factory original. A leather interior is a MAJOR, if not unheard of, option for a 4 banger.

I'm not saying that it isn't possible, just highly unlikely.

The COA will tell the tale.
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.