Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield wiper arms
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
olav

I just bought a right hand windshield wiper arm that is OEM but comparing it to my original one from the factory it's different.

For example the springs on the arm are not painted black and the crooked part near the end is longer and the shaft that contains the springs is longer and the arm before the bend is shorter than the original.

Should I just restore the original one? I think it's just painted but I'm not sure of the finish on it?

The new one looks real nice.

I'm keeping the original one just in case though.

SirAndy
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

i'd like to see the differences ...
smile.gif Andy
olav
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 29 2006, 04:38 PM) *

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

i'd like to see the differences ...
smile.gif Andy

Yah, I'll take photos.

I was suprised to see a difference.
tod914
new wiper blades are different too
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(olav @ Apr 29 2006, 07:07 PM) *

I just bought a right hand windshield wiper arm that is OEM but comparing it to my original one from the factory it's different.

For example the springs on the arm are not painted black and the crooked part near the end is longer and the shaft that contains the springs is longer and the arm before the bend is shorter than the original.

Should I just restore the original one? I think it's just painted but I'm not sure of the finish on it?

Any one have any thoughts on powdercoating these and what type of finish should they be...glossy or satin ? Mine is starting to look a little grey and weathered.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Feb 26 2007, 01:16 AM) *

Any one have any thoughts on powdercoating these and what type of finish should they be...glossy or satin ? Mine is starting to look a little grey and weathered.

I re-did mine a bunch of years ago with rattle cal Rustoleum satin black (shouldn't be glossy). Removed the springs first because they were cad (type) plated & didn't want them black. It's lasted 28 years now & still look like it should.

I'm sorry folks, and you can all berate me, but powder coating is WAY overrated in my book. The final finish you get is up to the gods & the skills of the coater. Everyone says "anyone can do it if you have a spare oven". Bull. It's like anything else, if you have a pro doing it, it'll probably be OK. If you do it yourself, it'll probably look like you did it yourself. Sorry, I like my paint like I like my......
Nevermind, I like wet paint! And it's predictable.
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 26 2007, 09:42 PM) *

QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Feb 26 2007, 01:16 AM) *

I re-did mine a bunch of years ago with rattle cal Rustoleum satin black (shouldn't be glossy). Removed the springs first because they were cad (type) plated & didn't want them black. It's lasted 28 years now & still look like it should.

I'm sorry folks, and you can all berate me, but powder coating is WAY overrated in my book. The final finish you get is up to the gods & the skills of the coater. Everyone says "anyone can do it if you have a spare oven". Bull. It's like anything else, if you have a pro doing it, it'll probably be OK. If you do it yourself, it'll probably look like you did it yourself. Sorry, I like my paint like I like my......
Nevermind, I like wet paint! And it's predictable.

Thanks ! I like the paint also, because its something I can easily do without learning something new.....and doing a bunch of monkey motion in the process. Just me.....

Have been coating the arms with back to black before showings, but, as with the top, it requires a constant re-do and a constant re-buff ( by hand ) process to dull it down to acceptable levels of matte or satin appearances.
Ferg
Olav,

I have a new set of wiper arms in my parts stash, I will dig them out tonight and see what they look like.

Ferg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.