Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does anyone run 6" airfilters on IDF carbs in a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
so i have CB tall manifolds, 44 IDF webers and the cast (thick) Aluminum linkage from CB.

i currently have the 3.5" tall IDF air filters. got a set of six inch ones for a project....

i measured from the top of the base plate (where the filter sits) to the trunk... lip of the trunk and get just a tad under 7".
it is gonna be close.... with the rainhats on top and with a wing nut, i think it will be extremelu tight.....

the carbs JUST miss the ribs on the engine lid....

obviously no rain tray.....

so has anyone done this?

AA
rhodyguy
put them on and close the lid very hard. are you still fiddling with your carbs?

k
nebreitling
hey dood

i don't think they'll fit exactly because of the rear trunk -- not the engine lid. i've got custom foam jobbies that are around 6" tall, and because of the offset of the cylinders, one filter has to be a bit shorter than the other or else it'd hit the the rear trunk thing that angles down. give it a shot, tho -- the problem will be getting them on and off...
Gint
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 29 2006, 05:37 PM) *

so has anyone done this?

AA

Nope.

Type IV motor moves around an awful lot... but you already know that. blink.gif wacko.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Gint @ Apr 29 2006, 05:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 29 2006, 05:37 PM) *

so has anyone done this?

AA

Nope.

Type IV motor moves around an awful lot... but you already know that. blink.gif wacko.gif

solid trans mounts....

it dont move.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Apr 29 2006, 04:49 PM) *

hey dood

i don't think they'll fit exactly because of the rear trunk -- not the engine lid. i've got custom foam jobbies that are around 6" tall, and because of the offset of the cylinders, one filter has to be a bit shorter than the other or else it'd hit the the rear trunk thing that angles down. give it a shot, tho -- the problem will be getting them on and off...

dang. i measure the left side.....

i think you are right....

hummmm

we will see.
John
We had 6" tall air cleaners on our car when it was a /4 (14+ years ago).

I'm not sure about the tall manifolds though.

On our car, we only had the cast aluminum tops not water shields. We had tall velocity stacks (reason for having the 6" filters).

We had no problems with them fitting under the engine lid with no rain tray (it was close as I recall).

Why are you going to the 6" air cleaners?
Andyrew
You dont need no stinkin ribs on your lid....

Aaron Cox
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Apr 30 2006, 02:09 AM) *

We had 6" tall air cleaners on our car when it was a /4 (14+ years ago).

I'm not sure about the tall manifolds though.

On our car, we only had the cast aluminum tops not water shields. We had tall velocity stacks (reason for having the 6" filters).

We had no problems with them fitting under the engine lid with no rain tray (it was close as I recall).

Why are you going to the 6" air cleaners?

got some custom spun aluminum stacks from "spunone"

i think they will fit. im going to have to modify the back of the right rain hat......

AA
Aaron Cox
UPDATE -

so i went to the shop. 6" filters in hand....

left one wont be a problem, with the tall manifolds, rain hats will need slight mod.

on to the right..... to my dismay, the right one interferes with the bulkhead.... UGH!

so trying to find out what to do....
tall manifolds make tuning way easier.... and i need these tall filters to fit the custom spun stacks....

humm... 2 choices.....

1) modify bulkhead? (less than appealing.....
2) lower engine? .5" spacers maybe? lower cg LOL

what do you think. cant "trim" k and n style filters, hummmm
So.Cal.914
I was running the 6" K&N's with out the raintray. For the offset I ovaled the

mounting holes on the filter base and sild it forward about 5/16 " and it didn't rub.

Most inportantly it didn't leak. smoke.gif
BarberDave

Same set up. I am going to trim back of passenger rain hat ,mine are red,so some red tape carefully applied to the rain hat will be flexable and still shed water. Altho I really don't expect that to be a problem that far back in the engine compartment. also lost rain tray. Dave
URY914
Are you using tall manifolds and tall stacks? Like these?

My engine builder tells me those tall stacks rob horsepower so I took them off. He said the best is short manifolds and short stacks.

rhodyguy
paul, the "builder" told you to go with the short intakes? how tall are your stacks? many questions for me when the new 2056 stuff arrives. i guess it's the same old "what do you plan to do with the car?". is it because you want lots of bottom end for a-xing? i hope the guy who designed my heads will give me some insight.

k
URY914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 7 2006, 07:41 AM) *

paul, the "builder" told you to go with the short intakes? how tall are your stacks? many questions for me when the new 2056 stuff arrives. i guess it's the same old "what do you plan to do with the car?". is it because you want lots of bottom end for a-xing? i hope the guy who designed my heads will give me some insight.

k

My builder (Jake biggrin.gif ) says go with the shortest manifolds and stacks I can find. Racer Chris actually cut a section out of a set of manifolds and welded the flange back on to get them shorter. My stacks now are the +/- 2" stacks that came with the carbs. Now were not talking huge numbers of HP and torque here but it all helps.
rhodyguy
my tunning will be aimed more at freeway running and hopefully a gas milage increase. a-xing performance is very low on the totem pole.

k
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 7 2006, 09:36 AM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 7 2006, 07:41 AM) *

k

My builder (Jake biggrin.gif ) says go with the shortest manifolds and stacks I can find. Racer Chris actually cut a section out of a set of manifolds and welded the flange back on to get them shorter. My stacks now are the +/- 2" stacks that came with the carbs. Now were not talking huge numbers of HP and torque here but it all helps.

i habe the stock 2.5" weber spun stacks...

spunone is making me some 3" "tulip stacks" like he made for mueller. so i i needed a little height. i mentioned all this above....
rhodyguy
perhaps i missed it. where is the data that shows the perfomance increase with the tall vel stacks arron? do you believe the shorter air filters restricted flow?

k
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 7 2006, 12:36 PM) *

perhaps i missed it. where is the data that shows the perfomance increase with the tall vel stacks arron? do you believe the shorter air filters restricted flow?

k

not size, mostly "shape"

look at a tulip velocity stack vs a stock one.

lots of info on google, and take a look at muellers stacks.
if anything it looks cool too smile.gif
rhodyguy
do they come with xray-specs so you can see them thru the filters?wink.gif why would i want to google when you have the info? or are you super busy?

k
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 7 2006, 12:45 PM) *

do they come with xray-specs so you can see them thru the filters?wink.gif why would i want to google when you have the info? or are you super busy?

k

hah. you kill me smile.gif
rhodyguy
i try.

k
URY914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 7 2006, 11:37 AM) *

not size, mostly "shape"

Been told that before too. Don't believe it ... sad.gif
retrotech
Yes, I believe shorter air filters restrict air flow to stacks.
nebreitling
aaron, it's not hard to make your own filters. get some UNI foam filters from you local bug shop, some wire mesh, and you're on your way. keep 'em oiled.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(nebreitling @ May 7 2006, 03:21 PM) *

aaron, it's not hard to make your own filters. get some UNI foam filters from you local bug shop, some wire mesh, and you're on your way. keep 'em oiled.

my motorcycle friends seem to hate UNI filters...

but the porsche 911 guys seem to love the ITG fiters.... (basiaclly a UNI)
Twystd1
Aaron,

ITG and UNI filters are very differant...

How do I know this you may ask.. ???????????????????????????????

WELL:

DUH... They are spelled differant.... Can't you see that..????

I thought you could read...

Whatever...

Twystd1
Aaron Cox
harharhar...

both are foam style....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.