Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LE Wheel paint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
gregrobbins
Hi, I am looking for some good photos showing what gets paint on the Mahle wheels used on the 914 LEs. Me BumbleBee had Fuchs when I bought it and I picked up a set of Mahle wheels and got the correct paint from Tower. Now I need to show what parts of the wheel get paint and what does not.

Looking at Jeff's CamAm site, there seem to be several variations. Anyone have photos of original LE wheels (any color) to share.

Thanks.
Michael N
Original wheel......
gregrobbins
QUOTE(Michael N @ Apr 29 2006, 07:27 PM) *

Original wheel......

Thanks, the area around the center cap was my primary concern, your photo shows it well.

Again thanks!
TJB/914
Here's another shot of an original LE wheel. It's original except he added the Porsche logo on the hub cap. Everything else is correct.

Also,
Added an original LE car Porsche Side Strip Logo. I understand some re-pops don't match up & many times attachment is not correct. This one is correct.

Tom
gregrobbins
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Apr 30 2006, 08:38 AM) *

Here's another shot of an original LE wheel. It's original except he added the Porsche logo on the hub cap. Everything else is correct.

Also,
Added an original LE car Porsche Side Strip Logo. I understand some re-pops don't match up & many times attachment is not correct. This one is correct.

Tom

Now we got an issue. On one the ring around the center cap is not painted, on the other it is. Which is correct?
TJB/914
Hi Greg,

Sharp eye there. Here's another pic of two cars for reference. We need Jeff Bowlsby to give us an answer.

Help, Jeff

Tom
smg914
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Apr 30 2006, 08:17 AM) *

Hi Greg,

Sharp eye there. Here's another pic of two cars for reference. We need Jeff Bowlsby to give us an answer.

Help, Jeff

Tom

On the LE's sent to America, the ring around the center cap should not be painted.
TJB/914
Hi Steve,

I really trust what you say, but I pulled up another wheel picture from a local original LE. Looks to be painted.

These cars give me headachs. We need closure on this Jeff Bowlsby.

Tom
JeffBowlsby
Steve has it correct to the best of my knowledge. The center ring is not painted on my LE wheels, 100% certain my wheels have original paint and have not been repainted.

But that Creamsicle is owned by Karl Shultz correct? His car and Nick Moskatows car were photographed together tlast year. Nicks Bumblebee has trim and a few body panels repainted and you can see his wheel lips have been polished somewhat or even Wurth silver painted. I am told that Karls car has the original stripes, so those should be original not replacement, but it also looks like his wheels have been repainted.

FWIW, I am 99% certain that the all LE wheelbolts should have those black plastic lug covers shown on Karls wheel.
914werke
Heres another one, its not clear from those pics but what is the *inside* of the rim painted? Silver or Trim color?
sixnotfour
no paint center ring
brer
wow, i can post in the concours forums. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.