Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Saratoga Top (see through type)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
TJB/914
Hard to find Saratoga Top for the 914

Tom
TJB/914
Looking up from the inside

Tom
TJB/914
Full view how Saratoga Tops look.

Accessory's made your 914 different from the others.

Tom
db9146
Hi Tom,

I have a Saratoga top for mine that is in great shape that I bought with a car a number of years ago. The only problem is that one of the latching blocks on the underside of the roof has come loose. Do you have any idea what it the best way to refasten the latch?

Thanks,
Dee
Eric_Shea
Ahhhhhhhhhh Tom... hate to break it to ya there my fellow Michigander buddy but, THAT DAMN TOP DOESN'T BELONG IN THIS FORUM! laugh.gif
TJB/914
Hi Eric,

I know, I know. Did you notice I've said nothing about my trunk rack.

After market & dealer installed stuff gives 914's lots of Bling, Bling.

Tom
Eric_Shea
alfred.gif

biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
I do think those tops are one of the coolest aftermarket goodies for the cruiser. Too bad they're gone. Must have been mighty expensive to build. I wonder if there's tooling laying around out there?
GWN7
QUOTE(db9146 @ May 2 2006, 10:01 AM) *

Hi Tom,

I have a Saratoga top for mine that is in great shape that I bought with a car a number of years ago. The only problem is that one of the latching blocks on the underside of the roof has come loose. Do you have any idea what it the best way to refasten the latch?

Thanks,
Dee

I'd use a two part epoxy to re-attach it. That's what I used for mine.
914runnow
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 2 2006, 09:13 AM) *

Ahhhhhhhhhh Tom... hate to break it to ya there my fellow Michigander buddy but, THAT DAMN TOP DOESN'T BELONG IN THIS FORUM! laugh.gif

Great aftermkt info though....... biggrin.gif
carreraguy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 2 2006, 10:13 AM) *

Darn, well I guess entering my 914 Suby converison is out of the question! biggrin.gif
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Apr 30 2006, 12:02 PM) *

Tom

So do these tops require any more attention to the hardware, or the finish, to keep them tightened down or looking good after use ?

Gonna guess, that anything more abrasive than a plastic cleaner would render them a mess....

And do they stay pretty weatherproof ? Car stay dry ?
TJB/914
QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Feb 25 2007, 10:01 PM) *

Tom

So do these tops require any more attention to the hardware, or the finish, to keep them tightened down or looking good after use ?

Gonna guess, that anything more abrasive than a plastic cleaner would render them a mess....

Mrgreenjeans,

You have good taste in accessories. The Saratoga top is a nice addition for bling, bling & a treat in cool weather. I was able to buy an excellent example with almost new original weather seals. I never been in the rain, but when washing the car it does not leak. No wind noise when driving or squeeking. My top needs a good rub out to get rid of minor scratches. I believe a light rub out with a plastic polish 3-M product will make it perfect. The only negitive thing about these tops is they flex and a bitch to line up to install with one person. You have to take your time when installing & they really don't fit well in the trunk location. They are flexable not like the rigid top. Once installed, all is well & be careful when storing. I found this photo of the front hindge bracket. It's not a good picture & if someone wants I can take a photo of mine.

Tom

mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Feb 27 2007, 10:48 PM) *

Tom

Mrgreenjeans,

You have good taste in accessories. The Saratoga top is a nice addition for bling, bling & a treat in cool weather. I was able to buy an excellent example with almost new original weather seals. I never been in the rain, but when washing the car it does not leak. No wind noise when driving or squeeking. My top needs a good rub out to get rid of minor scratches. I believe a light rub out with a plastic polish 3-M product will make it perfect. The only negitive thing about these tops is they flex and a bitch to line up to install with one person. You have to take your time when installing & they really don't fit well in the trunk location. They are flexable not like the rigid top. Once installed, all is well & be careful when storing. I found this photo of the front hindge bracket. It's not a good picture & if someone wants I can take a photo of mine.

Tom

Thanks for the pic and feedback.....I have chased down several before, but there always seemed to be something wrong with either the rubber, or a latch or with the finish on the surface. I know I like them well enough to probably buy one someday, but it has to be a GREAT example or I will simply end up stowing it in the corner, and not use it. (Like other things I have bought before ).

It somewhat bothers me (lightly) that they are not an O.E. Porsche part numbered piece, but I would not have it on while showing anyway....just for personal pleasure on days when an open type isn't desirable.

What year is your car and what color ?
mrgreenjeans Don

I think we once met at Parade in Traverse City ---89. Did you show that year, or did you judge ? We didn't have the teener yet, but competed with the 44 and brought back 4 trophies that year. One as a group effort.....sand castle building a 356 on the Beach !! A fun parade....we have good memories of it and really loved the drive up north thru one of the best drives ever, winding north thru the woods at triple digits on a narrow 2 lane with our friends in another 44 and in a concours white 911. They both brought back trophies too that year !
TJB/914
QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Feb 27 2007, 07:52 PM) *

Tom

Mrgreenjeans,

Tom

Thanks for the pic and feedback.....I have chased down several before, but there always seemed to be something wrong with either the rubber, or a latch or with the finish on the surface. I know I like them well enough to probably buy one someday, but it has to be a GREAT example or I will simply end up stowing it in the corner, and not use it. (Like other things I have bought before ).

It somewhat bothers me (lightly) that they are not an O.E. Porsche part numbered piece, but I would not have it on while showing anyway....just for personal pleasure on days when an open type isn't desirable.

mrgreenjeans Don

I think we once met at Parade in Traverse City ---89. Did you show that year, or did you judge ? We didn't have the teener yet, but competed with the 44 and brought back 4 trophies that year. One as a group effort.....sand castle building a 356 on the Beach !! A fun parade....we have good memories of it and really loved the drive up north thru one of the best drives ever, winding north thru the woods at triple digits on a narrow 2 lane with our friends in another 44 and in a concours white 911. They both brought back trophies too that year !

Mrgreenjeans,
I don't believe we ever met, but would like to some day. Reading your posts you become like an old friend. Another one is Pat Garvey, he is someone special pray.gif on this forum and becomes like a relative. Love him or hate him he is family (hope he's not listening). I am putting you on my hit list for a future 914 meeting.

Back in 1989 I was still into Street Rods, etc. I got my first & only current Porsche in 1992. The rest is history.

Tom

TJB/914
I want to add this to the Saratoga top forum.

T
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Feb 28 2007, 09:24 PM) *

Tom

Mrgreenjeans,

Tom

mrgreenjeans Don

Mrgreenjeans,
I don't believe we ever met, but would like to some day. Reading your posts you become like an old friend. Another one is Pat Garvey, he is someone special pray.gif on this forum and becomes like a relative. Love him or hate him he is family (hope he's not listening). I am putting you on my hit list for a future 914 meeting.

Back in 1989 I was still into Street Rods, etc. I got my first & only current Porsche in 1992. The rest is history.

Tom

Tom - I am always listening. Heh, heh , heh

Back at you too - we'll meet. I'll make a point of it!
Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Feb 28 2007, 09:42 PM) *

T

What do you think would happen if you responded to the listed address?
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 28 2007, 11:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Feb 28 2007, 09:42 PM) *

T

What do you think would happen if you responded to the listed address?

May well get a letter back from someone by the name of Vinnie or Guido....since more than likely that factory address now supports a "goodfella" organization of some type.

Doubt it would have much to do with a scenic Bed n Breakfast.............
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Feb 28 2007, 10:24 PM) *

Tom

Mrgreenjeans,

Tom

mrgreenjeans Don

Mrgreenjeans,

Tom

Glad you made the switch from the darkside and found the "force" .....

Das Rennwagen von der Vaterland.

Ist Gut nicht ?

I too look forward to seeing your car someday and meeting the man behind ....no..........." under " the Saratoga Top.

We have a good group of Porsche enthusiasts in our area, and will be having an all Porsche show and shine....nothing too over the top, at the local Porsche dealership , the 3rd weekend in May. Valley Imports, Fargo. Ask for Dana.
Or send me an email....I'll get you the info.

You are welcome to attend and see a fine gathering of our favorites. Should be no less than 6-8 teeners, at least a gathering of 15-20 911's. A good smattering of 944's, a few 968's, and the occasional 928, and Ruf. Oh, and several 911 Turbos, and maybe the guy with his Carrera Gt.
We had an original owned 56 Speedster show up in all its original patina last year, and the only 997 Club Coupe in Canada in the special Azure Blue ---( I believe its called ).
Was around a 40 car field; for here ---- a good turn out. Drive to the lake country, a gimmick rally, and a Very spirited run up one of the areas best triple digit roads. Long sweepers, tight undulating , off camber, decreasing radius turns, and breathtaking overlooks on a lake, thru a Mn state Park, and ending in a dinner that night at one of the lake countries premiere restaurants. The Mpls, Sioux Falls, and Winnipeg contingents are invited.........so bring over your Teener and we will treat you as a special guest. This could turn into something really big in the coming years.
Just look for the Porsche geek showing a Guards Red 44 and a Sunflower Teener, and he will introduce you to the rest of our group.

And my jeans will be blue that day, just like they always are...........

Best regards,

mrgreenjeans Don
TJB/914
QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Mar 2 2007, 09:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Feb 28 2007, 10:24 PM) *

Tom

Mrgreenjeans,

Tom

mrgreenjeans Don

Mrgreenjeans,

Tom

Glad you made the switch from the darkside and found the "force" .....

Das Rennwagen von der Vaterland.

Ist Gut nicht ?

I too look forward to seeing your car someday and meeting the man behind ....no..........." under " the Saratoga Top.

We have a good group of Porsche enthusiasts in our area, and will be having an all Porsche show and shine....nothing too over the top, at the local Porsche dealership , the 3rd weekend in May. Valley Imports, Fargo. Ask for Dana.
Or send me an email....I'll get you the info.

You are welcome to attend and see a fine gathering of our favorites. Should be no less than 6-8 teeners, at least a gathering of 15-20 911's. A good smattering of 944's, a few 968's, and the occasional 928, and Ruf. Oh, and several 911 Turbos, and maybe the guy with his Carrera Gt.
We had an original owned 56 Speedster show up in all its original patina last year, and the only 997 Club Coupe in Canada in the special Azure Blue ---( I believe its called ).
Was around a 40 car field; for here ---- a good turn out. Drive to the lake country, a gimmick rally, and a Very spirited run up one of the areas best triple digit roads. Long sweepers, tight undulating , off camber, decreasing radius turns, and breathtaking overlooks on a lake, thru a Mn state Park, and ending in a dinner that night at one of the lake countries premiere restaurants. The Mpls, Sioux Falls, and Winnipeg contingents are invited.........so bring over your Teener and we will treat you as a special guest. This could turn into something really big in the coming years.
Just look for the Porsche geek showing a Guards Red 44 and a Sunflower Teener, and he will introduce you to the rest of our group.

And my jeans will be blue that day, just like they always are...........

Best regards,

mrgreenjeans Don

Hi Don AKA-Mrgreenjeans

I just saw your invite. Sorry I can't make it to your gathering. Yes, I am looking forward to meeting you & your 914 sometime in the future. Keep the 914 faith.

Tom

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.