Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Won't start anymore.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Teknon
I was tooling down the highway aproching my exit, driving.gif , when all the power went out. confused24.gif

The alternator belt was shredded and laying on the engine.

The battery was charged enough that it would still turn over.

I checked for spark and there was some

Changed out the coil and no change.

The fuel pump is working and it has pressure.

Looked at the fuses and all seems fine.

When in tow I popped the clutch and notta.

Opened the dizzy and cleaned the terminals up some.

Can the car startup if the belt is off the alternator? It's a stock 73 1.7 djet setup that always worked well.

Just can't think of what else to check. HELP

Joe
Joe Bob
The belt turns the alternator AND the fan. Hopefully you didn't overheat it.

Change the belt, charge the battery, check/change oil, check the plugs...and try to turn it over.

Should be 12.5volts at rest

When it starts....13.0v
2500 rpms,13.5-14.0v max.
brant
Mike its a -4 banger... so the fan will turn without the belt and overheating due to the belt is not a problem.

Yes the cars start fine without the belt.
(in fact often this is done on purpose with track cars)

my guess is that when you threw the belt, it took out some other wire that is preventing the car from starting. Since you already verified spark, then most likely its a fuel injection wire.

check the CHT wire, as that will definitely put you into a no start condition. Check the little multiwire plug connector for the Djet points on the distributor, and also check the multiwire plug on the MPS

brant
Joe Bob
CRAP....I'm 0 for two today....I picked a bad day to quit snorting air plane glue...geez... blink.gif
brant
QUOTE((*)(*) @ Apr 30 2006, 04:38 PM) *

CRAP....I'm 0 for two today....I picked a bad day to quit snorting air plane glue...geez... blink.gif

na...
your just used to all of the 6 banger cars....
(hey why would a person quit the model glue?... makes no sense to me sssnnniffff)

brant
Teknon
Checked all the connection and they don't look bad. Haven't pulled the dizzy yet. I found anouther one I may JUST swap out and see. blink.gif
TROJANMAN
is your G light on?
This happened to my dad's car this weekend. we drove all the way home from the swap meet and .5 mile my parents house KAPUT!
I rolled it down a .5 hill, and all the way down it went putt, putt, putt, putt. No charge in teh battery. 15 minutes later we jump started it with another car and on the way up the hill it started to putt again. SO i turned off the headlights, and it was like a turbo boost. I think it's the alternator, but i'm not there to check it anymore. Anyway, the G light was on the whole time.
elocke
Sure you're not outta gas? Maybe the belt shreaded before and you didn't know until you ran out? Ya never know.
Ed
Teknon
LOL Well the gas gauge was a little below 1/4. But now that I think of it I never seen it that low before. Maybe the gauge is off. I'll peek in the tank menjona.
Teknon
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ May 1 2006, 09:35 PM) *

is your G light on?
This happened to my dad's car this weekend. we drove all the way home from the swap meet and .5 mile my parents house KAPUT!
I rolled it down a .5 hill, and all the way down it went putt, putt, putt, putt. No charge in teh battery. 15 minutes later we jump started it with another car and on the way up the hill it started to putt again. SO i turned off the headlights, and it was like a turbo boost. I think it's the alternator, but i'm not there to check it anymore. Anyway, the G light was on the whole time.

GT, let me run you that moolah menjona. Cell number is on the local board. JD2
Teknon
Put in new plugs and wires. Notta icon8.gif

Replaced the Petronic dizzy with a points type. Notta sad.gif

clap.gif Mike came over and did his masterfull dizzy work.
Found TDC reset the dizzy, checked dwell, fuel pressure, replaced fuses. Learned much, BUT Notta, notta, notta

I have ECU's I could try, but they are for earlier 1.7. I do have a 45 for a 2.0, again I don't know if that can work.

Any other suggestions confused24.gif
Qarl
tranny ground strap?

confused24.gif
Teknon
QUOTE(Qarl @ May 6 2006, 04:37 PM) *

tranny ground strap?

confused24.gif

Looked at it. It's intact. Where would I bring a ground from the battery to bypass the strap to check. WTF.gif
Teknon
Ok new day. Can anyone make any good suggestions on where to start???????
Gint
QUOTE(Teknon @ May 6 2006, 04:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Qarl @ May 6 2006, 04:37 PM) *

tranny ground strap?

confused24.gif

Looked at it. It's intact. Where would I bring a ground from the battery to bypass the strap to check. WTF.gif

You should pull the ground strap and clean up the contact points Joe.

I was thinking about this after I left yesterday. You know you have fuel at the rail. But maybe the next step should be to make sure the trigger points and injectors are functioning. Although it wouldn't start with starter fluid down the TB either, so maybe that's not the issue. I'd check anyway though.

Hell, I don't know...
Dave_Darling
Like I said on the Bird board--check the basics. Compression--do a compression test. Spark--re-check the spark. ("Some spark"? You want a good spark--a nice fat white one hopefully!) Check for fuel going into the motor, not just the fuel rail. Stick your injectors in jars and see what comes out of them.

That should give you an idea of where to go from there.

--DD
rjames
This is probably a long shot, but make sure your relay board is good. Mine was running one day, I turned the engine off, and then couldn't get it started again. Had a spare board, popped it in, and all good.

Also, did somebody already mention the Cyl head temp sensor?
John
Do the injectors actually squirt fuel?

Do you have spark?

If you have both these things, the car should run.

Obviously you don't have one.
Teknon
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ May 7 2006, 09:41 PM) *

Do the injectors actually squirt fuel?

Do you have spark?

If you have both these things, the car should run.

Obviously you don't have one.

Well John it's a funny thing. Since it's only me working on this thing it's hard to check. But I did take a wire off a spark plug put a jumper wire in it brought it to the door of the car a turned the key and walla spark. Seemed slow, it flashed once a second with a good arc.

I did undo an injector and put paper in front of it, then cranked over the car and in the paper was gasoline.

I guess a compression test is in order now to see if there is a blown something or rather. headbang.gif

Joe
Spoke
What voltage do you have on the battery? Just curious. It would seem strange that you would lose compression or bad points at just the same time your alt belt shreds.

If you have spark, one would think it should start. One trick of trying to start an engine that doesn't want to start is to force feed it some food, like putting a bit of gas or ether (starting fluid) in the intake just to see if the thing will kick over with known fuel in the intake. Doesn't fix it but would point to either fuel delivery or spark issue.

Fuses on the relay board ok?

Spoke
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.