Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Damn! - Install new battery and fuel lines and ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tdgray
Worked some of yesterday and part of today to complete my battery move to the front trunk and replace all the old fuel lines.

Just wanted to hear the engine run after Geoff rebuilt my MPS and I painstakingly replace all the freakin vacuum lines and...

God freakin %(&%(&( fuel pump dies on me.

I heard it cycle a few times. I even primed it several times to try to get fuel to the rails.

Damn thing is dead. I tried jumping it with a twelve volt source nothing.

Plug reads 4.4 V with key on...so I'm getting juice.

Any inexpensive alternatives? confused24.gif Pelican has them $440...NOT.

AA lists them for a variety of prices all the way down to $110. (yea like they'll have one of those if I call).

DAMN I AM JUST PISSED OFF RIGHT NOW blowup.gif
drewvw

That sucks man, so frusting....on the plus side check out the archives under "fuel pump". You can use alot of different pumps so long as they are FI compatible.

I saw '97 ford ranger, BMW 325 pump, should be able to find a cheap alternative....

Dr Evil
Dude, Ebay has then for $25 or so ususally. Most folks in the classifieds probably have a few that they would part with for even less. I just went through this last week so I feel your pain. Mine was the more expnsive, harder to find CIS pump, though. -->silver lining.

You'll be ok biggrin.gif
swl
These pumps are supposed to be pretty bullet proof. They can leak because of bad rubber and the return can stick but I haven't heard of one actually failing electrically. At the risk of asking a stupid question, do you have the polarity right? Failing that try tearing it down and cleaning up the residue. It is pretty easy process. One word of caution though, the o-rings swell almost immediately. on exposure to gas. Wipe them off immediately and set them asside to dry out. It may take several days for them to go back small enough to fit. My neighbor dried them out in his lab but suggested a microwave as a quick way of driving off the gas. I don't think I would want to put food in the oven for a while after trying that.

Failing that previous posts have recommended mallory 4060fi as a good substitute. Mallory recommends that they be installed close to the tank so you would need to relocate to the front if your pump isn't there already.
914forme
You sure you did not hook up backwards? It will cycle a few times, but can't compress the air enough to get it out of the ystem against the fuel pressue valve.

BTDT, just recently actually.

Oh I did repalce mine with a MSD unit from Summit, New, and $85 bucks latter found out how stupid I was.
Dr Evil
So ya got one to sell him, eh?
wink.gif
tdgray
QUOTE(914forme @ Apr 30 2006, 08:38 PM) *

You sure you did not hook up backwards? It will cycle a few times, but can't compress the air enough to get it out of the ystem against the fuel pressue valve.

BTDT, just recently actually.

Oh I did repalce mine with a MSD unit from Summit, New, and $85 bucks latter found out how stupid I was.

I don't think so. I've got wet lines on both lines from the tank. If I didn't screw it up... I put the smaller of the two line to the suction. The larger (bottom of the tank) to the return along with the return line from the pass side fuel rail.

I can't see this as the problem as I have tried to jump it with an alternate source and it won't even cycle.

Which pump did you get from Summit... I can pick up locally as they are right in my back yard (Tallmadge OH).
drewvw
QUOTE(tdgray @ May 1 2006, 05:04 AM) *

I don't think so. I've got wet lines on both lines from the tank. If I didn't screw it up... I put the smaller of the two line to the suction. The larger (bottom of the tank) to the return along with the return line from the pass side fuel rail.

wait a second...I just did my lines a couple weeks ago, and the Larger line out of the fuel tank was going to suction. The smaller was the return line.

But that's how mine was setup previously and my fuel pump is located up front. I dunno. I think the larger one logically should be the line going to fuel pump inlet?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.