Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lone Teener Lays To Rest 5 Miaters...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joseph Mills
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Subject pretty well says it all. When I asked to be allowed to remain in CSP last year, they all agreed to let me... however my days may be numbered. ohmy.gif

SCCA AX is a tough room ... but Stuttgart got a lot of respect today. rolleyes.gif

Managed to win our class and about 8th or so overall out of 100+.

Thank you non club914 for all the endless guidance. pray.gif beer.gif

Aaron Cox
here lies flamer 1 and his miata.....

he was put to rest by a valiant beast......
Dave-O
Nice Job! CSP is a very fast class. I mostly just froze at the AX today. Can you say driving winds and non stop rain? First time driving in the rain was quite a learning experience. (do we have a spin out smiley?)
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(Dave-O @ Apr 30 2006, 08:44 PM) *

I mostly just froze at the AX today. Can you say driving winds and non stop rain?

Gee... that sounds horrible! biggrin.gif

I used to like the challenge of driving in the rain, but I seem to have lost my fascination with it. blink.gif

I have mucho respect for drivers that can go fast in it.

I've spent hours watching the track sequences where it's raining in the movie "Le Mans".

Trekkor
Tell us about your tires!

Good job.

KT
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(trekkor @ May 1 2006, 09:10 AM) *

Tell us about your tires!.

KT

Well Trekkor, not much to report on the tires other than they are sticking really well.

I'm still waiting on a pyrometer and since I have made some recent other changes to my car, I decided not to play with tire pressures.

I ran them (Kumho 710's), at 36/38# and kept them there for all my runs.

Prior to doing the Talimena tour last week, having switched to 205's all around for the street, I stiffened up the front bar (1"), in anticipation of increased oversteer with the smaller rear tire patch (and increased driving speeds). The results were so good I decided to try the setting for AX.

I also removed 50# from the rear of the car last saturday.

I'm happy to report the stiffer front end and lighter rear end both improved handling performance. I don't think I can ask much more from the car now.

When I get my pyrometer, I'm going to compare your 26/28# settings to higher settings. I sure liked the lower settings with Victor Racers.

I'm curious to know, did you try both higher and lower pressures with your 710's? and I have forgotten what sizes you're running.

Trekkor
Good deal on the set-up.

I started with the higher settings and kept going lower until they lost that "skatey" feel.

My tires are getting pretty old, so I wonder if they are about done.
They do have quite a bit of "tread" depth left. That doesn't mean anything though. wink.gif

The local tire seller at the track (AIM) said road racers are reporting good reults with these tires for two heat cycles.
http://www.aimtire.com/

KT
J P Stein
Atta go, Joe.
Keep alfred.gif on them Miatas.

I have a couple problem Miatas here to shoot at.
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(trekkor @ May 1 2006, 06:34 PM) *

My tires are getting pretty old, so I wonder if they are about done.
They do have quite a bit of "tread" depth left. That doesn't mean anything though. wink.gif

KT

I was talking to a formula-V driver at the AX yesterday and he told me about a product he has started using on his slicks that have been starting to loose their grip. As I recall he said you apply it twice for x-length of time and then let it "cure" for 24 hours before running. He seemed to be real pleased with the results.

I don't remember the name of the product, but someone will probably chime in with more info on it. Sounds like just the thing for us CSOB 914 owners. biggrin.gif

Al Meredith
I believe it is called Formula V . I know that sounds funny since you heard it from a FV guy. I think it is legal in SCCA for FV but not sure if it is legal in other classes. Remember someone in NASCAR was disqualifyed for "dopeing" their tires last year.
Brando
Miatas... Me-Oughta's

Me Oughta Buy A Real Sports Car laugh.gif
Mugs914
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ May 1 2006, 06:54 PM) *

I believe it is called Formula V . I know that sounds funny since you heard it from a FV guy. I think it is legal in SCCA for FV but not sure if it is legal in other classes. Remember someone in NASCAR was disqualifyed for "dopeing" their tires last year.

There are two I know of, Formula V and Hot Lap. I've never tried Formula V, but the "apply twice and let it soak" treatment sounds a lot like Hot Lap's application procedure. The stuff works. I used it a few years ago on a set of V700s that were about dead and got an extra AX day out of 'em. It made them about like new. I haven't used it since, but I haven't thrown it away either. wink.gif I suppose it could make a new set really shine...

PCA AX rules don't (or didn't at the time) say anything at all about tire treatments, but you'll want to check with whoever you run with...

Congrats on the win, by the way!! beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(Brando @ May 1 2006, 09:03 PM) *

Miatas... Me-Oughta's

Me Oughta Buy A Real Sports Car laugh.gif

I like that! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Mugs & Al - thanks for that brand name info. I'm going to plan on trying it out towards the end of the season.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.