Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Torque your lug bolts lately?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
The bonehad award of the day goes to ME

Had our test & tune solo today.Nice 45 mph winds and rain thumb3d.gif I'm the solo chairman for our region and with this being our first event I had my thoughts someplace else. I ran with my street tires today (bridgestone Potenzas) after 16 runs clap56.gif and about 2 miles from the solo site the front end starts to shimmy REAL bad. I quickly pull of the road just as my driver front tire falls off.

Guess what dum shit forgot to do, yep check the lugbolt torque slap.gif Chipped paint on lower fender, pulled the rolled fender lip out abit and put a nice marke on the tire also. I was SOOOOOO lucky another milre or so and I would been on the highway.

What sucks the most is I run my street tires on minilites. I bought these from a fellow club member (hi Van) and he had minilites drilled with tappered bolt seat and the minilites lugbolts have a different tapper to them than Fuch lugbolts. So I lost two lugs bolts and f'd up a third. I had a spare set of Fuch bolts with me so I used them to get home with. I'm not sure what to do about the missing bolts. There is a place in the SCCA magazine that sells panosport (minilites) So I will see what they can do for lug bolts. I think I would be fine running with the fuchs bolts, but??????

Picture of teh small damage to front fender. sad.gif Anyone got L20E touchup paint they don't need?
Aaron Cox
BTDT - had to weld on a new fender.....

you got off way easy smile.gif
GaroldShaffer
Minlite bolt on left
GaroldShaffer
differences it taper of minilit vs fuch lugbolt. Is using the Fuch bolts ok??
Aaron Cox
ball seat vs cone seat? then NO.

IIRC - people have machined minilights to take ball seat lugs before....
drewvw

had a similar expirience a couple years ago with my ghia. After it happens the first time, you never forget to check again! alfred.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(drewvw @ Apr 30 2006, 06:38 PM) *

After it happens the first time, you never forget to check again! alfred.gif

AMEN to that hands.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(itsa914 @ Apr 30 2006, 07:52 PM) *

QUOTE(drewvw @ Apr 30 2006, 06:38 PM) *

After it happens the first time, you never forget to check again! alfred.gif

AMEN to that hands.gif

tell me about it ...

happened to me on the last AX, got in late, switched tires, they call the drivers meeting, i still had one tire to go, no problem, can do that after the meeting.

of course i forgot about it ... headbang.gif

went out and did 5 runs before i heard some weird noises from the rear in the paddock.
took me a while to figure it out, turned out all 5 nuts had only be handtight and were working their way off the studs. thank god for 100mm studs, otherwise i would have lost my rear wheel while on the track ...
icon8.gif Andy
Van914
Garold,
take the bolts to a good parts store. They should be able to match them up. If not here is where I bought them. http://www.minilitewheels.com/
Van914
Bartlett 914
Hi Garold

Sorry to hear about your mishap. I see they used an insert to be used as a washer. If all you need is the washer, I can probably make some for you. I have some SS that will work. I would need to see one to get the proper measurements. PM me if interested

Mark
GaroldShaffer
Mark that would be awesome. I going to check with our local parts store to see about the lug bolts. I PM you later today.
Doug Leggins
I can set you up with the L20E touch up paint.

Send me your address and I'll get some headed your way.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Doug Leggins @ May 1 2006, 01:25 PM) *

I can set you up with the L20E touch up paint.

Send me your address and I'll get some headed your way.

aktion035.gif Yes, thanks Doug. Sent you a PM.
GaroldShaffer
Update - I found one of my missing bolts along the highway today. biggrin.gif Just happen to be on the same stretch of road going slow once again because of traffic. I was trying to watch the edge of the road and the cars in front of me and just happen to see it. Pulled of the road and picked it up. Just need to find the other and I will have a complete set again. aktion035.gif
hcdmueller
I just did that this afternoon. I was cleaning my wheels at work and drove to the store a mile or so away. I heard a wierd clunk as I turned into the parking lot and sure enough the lugs on the front were loose. Good think I checked right then. I work on Ramstein AB over in Germany. 2 miles later and I would have been screaming down the Autobahn. blink.gif
Dr Evil
Hey Garold,
If you need longer bolts I may have a few lying around that you can have + shipping. I don't think that I have a complete set so it would be perfect if you have some. PM me if you are interested.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.