Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chappy says I need tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BigDBass
Chappy's makin' me buy new tires for my new-to-me '74. alfred.gif
Between reading past threads and fiddling with the Club Tire Size Calculator, I'm leaning strongly towards 195/65.

I had initially planned to get the Yokohama AVID H4S 195/65HR15. However, I see two other options that I haven't seened mentioned here that look like potentially good deals due to rebates.

Yokohama AVID H4S 195/65HR15 for $240
Bridgestone Potenza G 009 195/65HR15 for $260 - 50 rebate = $210
Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position 195/65HR15 for $308 - 100 rebate = $208.

I have Bridgestones on my Cherokee and love them. Does anyone have experience on the options above? I want to order these tires ASAP. I suppose I have them shipped to me then take them somewhere to mount them?

Thanks for reading smile.gif.
Aaron Cox
look at yoko AVS ES100's.

usually about 70 a pop......

great street tires.
BigDBass
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 30 2006, 10:25 PM) *

Hmm, I don't see 'em on TireRack. confused24.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Apr 30 2006, 08:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 30 2006, 10:25 PM) *

Hmm, I don't see 'em on TireRack. confused24.gif

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...Model=AVS+ES100

they are more of a performance street tire.....

maybe they dont come in such a tall sidewall...
Aaron Cox
195/60HR15
Blackwall Serv. Desc: 88H Price Each: $77

just my opinion here... but why such a tall sidewall? capitalize on some of the handling you gain with lower profile.....
BigDBass

Hmm, I guess partially because the speedometer will almost read true.
I'm also trying to keep comfort and road noise in mind to some degree (I think...)
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Apr 30 2006, 08:41 PM) *

Hmm, I guess partially because the speedometer will almost read true.
I'm also trying to keep comfort and road noise in mind to some degree (I think...)

a 60 vs 65 series smile.gif
BigDBass
Whaddya mean?
iamchappy
I have the yoko H4S on my Lexus there an all season tire that are mush, you dont want that. The ES100's are great handling tires and are relatively cheap but do not do well in the cold and forget about snow they are a performance tire and will wear out fast. Think about the Bridgestone RE750s for more of an allround tire but dont drive in the snow please.
The 205/55/15 ES100 are 77.00 each
Bridgestone RE750s are about 80.00 with rebate.
Continental ContiExtremeContact all season high performance are 77.00 and would be a great all season tire for you.
Go with the widest you can fit.

Chap

Link to compare:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare2.jsp...x=0&sortValue=1
BigDBass
I'd go with the 205/55/15 but I don't really want to have the fenders rolled and it seems hit or miss whether they fit. Is there anything I can measure or is it just luck of the draw?
porschecb
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Apr 30 2006, 09:35 PM) *

I'd go with the 205/55/15 but I don't really want to have the fenders rolled and it seems hit or miss whether they fit. Is there anything I can measure or is it just luck of the draw?

Thats size I use! Federal is the brand. And they stick like glue!! (8 spoke empi clone) biggrin.gif
Tobra
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 30 2006, 08:25 PM) *

usually about 70 a pop......

great street tires.

I love mine, torture tested them for 500 miles on twisty 1 and 2 lane mountain roads in the last two days

They should last well as the car is so light also

IMHO, the yoko is a higher quality tire than the Kumho, I run 195-60's on the Fuchs.
Joe Ricard
I had Yoko ES100's on my car for going back and forth to events and bumming around town.
Pretty decent tire for the street. I wouldn't say sticky as I am sorta accustomed to DOT R tires.

Those 65 series tires have like NO sidewall in order to get them to handle you will have to pump 40 PSI in them and then ride rough as hell anyway.
60 series it the tallest I would ever go. Currently have a set of BFG TA/'s talk about suck. But hey they are on loan from a friend so I will take care of them.
Next tire is Hankook RS-2 Z112 Nice tread wear of 200
lotus_65
tire rack ratings

i like the kuhmo's, but they may be loosing in comparison since i bought mine a few years ago.
iamchappy
The Yoko Es100's set up wider than other tires Ive compare them to.
I run them on my car 245's and 225's up front they are great tires above 40 they spin easy when it's cold out but I am driving a hell of a lot of horsepower through them.

Dan the tires are the single biggest handling improvement as well as safety improvement you can do to your car it's the one thing you dont want to skimp on, pay a little more and gain a lot. If you are going to use your car as an all season car get all season tires, but if you only plan on driving on nice days go with the summer tires and enjoy.

I am going to purchase a new set of tires for my Fuchs and I am having a difficult time deciding on purchasing something other than the ES100's. The value for performance or pay twice the price for just a little more with the Bridgestone S03's.

As far as size, go on the recommendation of the club members who are running tires on the stock 5.5 rims.
Pugbug
I put Bridgstone RE950's on my car last year. 195/15.....Work great for me, but I only drive on the street. They are rated very well for wet or dry handling on Consumer Reports, but not good in snow.
BigDBass

Ok, Now I'm torn between the Bridgestone RE750 and the Yoko ES100. Leaning towards the Bridgestones.

I'd like to go with 205/55 after reading up more, but I REALLY want to KNOW they will fit with no trouble. sad.gif

Aaron Cox
QUOTE(iamchappy @ May 1 2006, 06:32 AM) *

The Yoko Es100's set up wider than other tires Ive compare them to.
I run them on my car 245's and 225's up front they are great tires above 40 they spin easy when it's cold out but I am driving a hell of a lot of horsepower through them.

Dan the tires are the single biggest handling improvement as well as safety improvement you can do to your car it's the one thing you dont want to skimp on, pay a little more and gain a lot. If you are going to use your car as an all season car get all season tires, but if you only plan on driving on nice days go with the summer tires and enjoy.

I am going to purchase a new set of tires for my Fuchs and I am having a difficult time deciding on purchasing something other than the ES100's. The value for performance or pay twice the price for just a little more with the Bridgestone S03's.

As far as size, go on the recommendation of the club members who are running tires on the stock 5.5 rims.

yup. they have a stepped sidewall... so you can put fatter meat on a smaller rim....

i stretched a 225 onto my 8" fuchs..... pretty massive contact patch.

cant beat the price for the stick.....
sk8kat1
195/50/15

I am running bridgestone re750's they have done well for me .. acording to bridgestone they are discontinued buy them while you can ...

otherwise leaning toward the hankook rs-2's

my .02
GaroldShaffer
Bridgestone potenza's 205 50 15 fit just fine on my car, even when they were mounted on my Fuchs.

wertygrog
So the es100 195/60/15 's will have no clearance issues on 5.5 inch empi's, garanteed?

thanks,
Brent
Allan
Thats size I use! Federal is the brand. And they stick like glue!! (8 spoke empi clone) biggrin.gif
[/quote]

I have Federal tires on my car as well. Haven't really had a chance to see how well they stick...
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(wertygrog @ May 1 2006, 01:55 PM) *

So the es100 195/60/15 's will have no clearance issues on 5.5 inch empi's, garanteed?

thanks,
Brent

yes. i will guarantee them. if they dont fit... you can yell at me. (there is like .0001% chance they wont)

AA
BigDBass
Hmm, looks like the Firestone shop a block from my size has a total price of 4 RE750's with installation and balancing that beats TireRack + shipping + finding someone to install them. I'm gonna take a walk over there right now and talk to 'em.

sk8kat1
QUOTE(BigDBass @ May 1 2006, 02:57 PM) *

Hmm, looks like the Firestone shop a block from my size has a total price of 4 RE750's with installation and balancing that beats TireRack + shipping + finding someone to install them. I'm gonna take a walk over there right now and talk to 'em.

I need two tell me how much and where the shop is ... if they beat tire rack ....I need 2 195/50/15 's
BigDBass
I was planning to buy at Tirerack.com, have them shipped, then mounted at a nearby shop referred by Tirerack. I walked over to the Firestone shop around the corner from me, and found that the total price seemed pretty comparable. The tire prices are a little higher, but they install for free. Tax versus shipping is pretty much a wash. The guy I talked to there actually knew the 914 (Said "ah, that's just a VW" and knew the Ravenna green color) so that's a plus to some degree, I suppose. I have to check back tomorrow on availability of Bridgestone RE750 205/55. He said he can order the Yoko ES100, although I didn't get his price on that.

The Bridgestone Potenza RE750 205/55 comes out to about $80 more than the RE960AS Pole Position 195/60.

The RE960AS PP is also available in 205/60, but not /55 or /50. I dunno if 205/60 will fit.

It's supposedly their newest tire technology, and is all-season. I have no intention of driving in the snow. Cold maybe. I'm not sure what the trade-off is for that all-season designation.

I have about 16k miles on Bridgestones on my Cherokee and the wear and looks have been so good that people frequently ask me if they're new, so that's my main bias for the Bridgestones.

Trying to decide is driving me nuts!
iamchappy
Dan join the club, tires are the most difficult choice because there is no way of getting a true test or review. In golf they have the iron byron which is a robotic golf club swinging device in which balls and clubs can be tested to the same degree.
With tires we have to go by drivers feel and opinion, until they have a slot car type test track in which all the turns and braking are governed by the same turning force and angle at the same time, has same braking force and speed is controlled by a computer program we are only guessing.

I really like the Yokohama ES100's and I believe the Hankook RS2 212's are a hell of a tire at any price.
I am shopping for tires right now and I just eliminated the Bridgestone S03's from my list I cant believe you get a significant bang for the buck, and am finding it hard not to purchase another set of ES100's for 373.00 bucks delivered.
These are the tires ive been looking at:

ES100's
Toyo T1-R's
Hankook RS2 212's

I was taking to a tuner today who works at the high performance tire shop in town, his car is featured in this months Euro tuner magazine. He is running the Toyo T1-R's and tells me he likes them better than the S03's and the Yoko Avs's that he has had on his car. Car and driver rated the Toyo's poor placing them no better than 8th in comparison to the other tires tested, the Hankooks were like 3rd.
So how can you really form any idea on what is good. YOU CANT DAMN IT unless you can try them all out on your own car.

The good news is all these tires are good, and better than anything that you've ever rolled on so you will probably love anything you end up with.

I cant find any fault with the ES100's having driven them on the street. And it's really not fair to compare the performance of track or Dot R tires to summer performance street tires even though thats what we dream of.

I hope I dont drive crazy enough to test the limits of my street tires on road and am sure that what ever you or I choose we will still be happy with our choice. headbang.gif dead horse.gif confused24.gif
BigDBass
Thanks for putting it in perspective, Chappy. "All these tires are good" ... Makes sense and bumped me out of decision paralysis.

So I just dropped off the ravenna at Firestone around the block for the set of Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position 195/60HR15. They had them in stock and the price is right thanks to the $100 rebate. I'll have it back with the new rubber after work! smilie_pokal.gif
iamchappy
Dan good job, I am researching the Hankook z212 tires right now and I may make a buying decision shortly.

Now loose that antenna for something sportier, looks like it was meant for a mack truck.

Ha
BigDBass
QUOTE(iamchappy @ May 2 2006, 01:48 PM) *
Now loose that antenna for something sportier, looks like it was meant for a mack truck.

Hey, just think of it as heavy-duty!

Actually my wife already managed to break the stereo in her first and only ride in it so far! Just yanked out the power wires I think; I haven't looked at it yet.
sk8kat1
I just called 3 local -ish firestone places for the re750's they wanted 137.00 ea!!!!

when I told them I could get them elsewhere for 86.00 ea they said "then go buy them there" and "ok..."

not real pleased w/ the frirestone direct stores .... dry.gif
BigDBass
QUOTE(sk8kat1 @ May 2 2006, 03:22 PM) *

I just called 3 local -ish firestone places for the re750's they wanted 137.00 ea!!!!

when I told them I could get them elsewhere for 86.00 ea they said "then go buy them there" and "ok..."

not real pleased w/ the frirestone direct stores .... dry.gif

Hey Mike, so far I really like the shop by me. They just called to say they finished putting my tires on.

You need 2 RE750 195/50HR15 right? I'm seeing a price of $99 each for those from him with free mounting. Comes to $231 after balance, stems, disposal,etc for 2 tires. There is a rebate, but I don't know if it will work for less than 4 tires. Let me know if you want to pursue them.

I live right around the corner from them so if you want to see my new ride and hang out over lunch or something while they mount them, let me know.

sk8kat1

Hey Mike, so far I really like the shop by me. They just called to say they finished putting my tires on.

You need 2 RE750 195/50HR15 right? I'm seeing a price of $99 each for those from him with free mounting. Comes to $231 after balance, stems, disposal,etc for 2 tires. There is a rebate, but I don't know if it will work for less than 4 tires. Let me know if you want to pursue them.

I live right around the corner from them so if you want to see my new ride and hang out over lunch or something while they mount them, let me know.
[/quote]

beerchug.gif -- that sounds pretty good to me .. I am sorry what burb are you in again? ... and I will see what the wife has planned and when ... still on jackstnds so I will just be bringing wheels sad.gif ... waiting for a few parts back from powdercoat , wiring in the 3rd brake light , tires and alginment and I willl be road worthy ... well as road worthy as expected biggrin.gif driving.gif
BigDBass
Bad news. They say they're back-ordered for at least 30 days. (But what about the supposed disconinuation?) There are 4 down in Springfield. I'll send you a PM with contact info so you can talk to him if you want.
Lavanaut
QUOTE(BigDBass @ May 2 2006, 10:10 AM) *

So I just dropped off the ravenna at Firestone around the block for the set of Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position 195/60HR15. They had them in stock and the price is right thanks to the $100 rebate. I'll have it back with the new rubber after work! smilie_pokal.gif

Hey Dan, how have these tires worked out for you? I'm looking at picking up a set of the same (size included). Considering those and the Kumho Ecsta ASXs ($25 less per-tire, and still got pretty good reviews). I'd love to know if you think the 960s are worth the extra cash though...

Thanks!
BigDBass
It's hard to answer that, cuz I really haven't had much to compare them to. They're definately better than the ones I took off, which seemed to be the original tires!

I went for the 960AS's because they were in stock, buy 3 get 1 free, and had a $100 rebate.

My reservations are that the 960AS tires are all season, so maybe I gave up something in return for being able to drive in winter conditions, which I will never do.

I also would've liked to try to fit 205/50's on there. Maybe next time.

Chappy hit the nail on the head for me while I was debating tire choices: He pointed out that all my options were good, and better than any tires I'd ever driven on before.

So that advice is the best advice I can pass along to you smile.gif

(By the way, what color is your '74?)
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Apr 30 2006, 08:35 PM) *

QUOTE(BigDBass @ Oct 29 2006, 06:57 PM) *

It's hard to answer that, cuz I really haven't had much to compare them to. They're definately better than the ones I took off, which seemed to be the original tires!

I went for the 960AS's because they were in stock, buy 3 get 1 free, and had a $100 rebate.

My reservations are that the 960AS tires are all season, so maybe I gave up something in return for being able to drive in winter conditions, which I will never do.

Chappy hit the nail on the head for me while I was debating tire choices: He pointed out that all my options were good, and better than any tires I'd ever driven on before.

Your welcome to drop in anytime at my place and we will see how my 205/50/15 fit on your car.

How is the baby doing, getting any sleep yet?
Lavanaut

shocked[1].gif Wish I could find a deal like that...wow. Where'd you get them?

I actually need the all seasons, so for me they're looking like a great option.

I read that advice and thought it was sound as well. My ride came with cheap-o passenger tires, so just about anything should be an upgrade. Anyway, thanks for the feedback. Oh, and regarding color... smile.gif
iamchappy
I just purchased another set of tires as it looks like the Turbo car still wont be on the road for at least a month. All I had were the ES100's which are like driving on ice below 40ยบ and a new set of Toyo RA1's which will be my extreme summer tire and possible track event shoes.
I bought some new ContiExtremeContacts an all season performance tire with good snow and ice ratings. They were on closeout through TireRack for around 80.00 a tire. They should get me through Spring and am sure they will be fine on the street as I dont wish to test there limits on the winter roads. After all the work i've put into making my car like new again the last thing I need is a crumpled up car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.