Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DEALER OPTIONS:
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2
gregrobbins
I am going through my stash of parts and find I have two luggage racks that were attached to the rear deck lid. I started wondering were they a dealer option, or after market "bling?" I know dealers offered radios, side script, AC, and wheels, but what are some of the other things that would have been offered and installed by dealers?
Aaron Cox
painted fuchs.... iirc (factory was anodized... dealer added the black)
dealers also did the radio and antenna installs IIRC
sixerdon
THE CREST!

Don
Jasfsmith
Mud flaps (factory designed).
Ferg
Turned aluminum interior scuff plates... I've had two cars with these now, and have been told they were dealer option. I'll snap a pic very soon, as the Dijon Bomb has them, but they start below the speakers and come towards the seat half way and cover the all of the inside part of the sill.

Ferg
Pat Garvey
mad.gif Let's not forget the evil rustproofing, at least east of the Mississippi.
Pat Garvey
alfred.gif

Jeez! I forgot the one thing I got from the dealer for my car, and I still think it sets the car off perfectly. Brazilian-made 5.5 steel wheels! I'm fairly certain they were made for VW, but they look good on a red car.

My dealer (long-gone now) offered them to me in place of the mistaken 4.5 wheels the factory had put on the appearance group of my car (or, left off the 5.5 steels). Problem was, they only gave me 4, so I had to buy the 5th down the road. Still have them & they look great - just aren't on the car. Puified, you know!
914-8
QUOTE(Ferg @ May 2 2006, 07:23 AM) *

Turned aluminum interior scuff plates... I've had two cars with these now, and have been told they were dealer option. I'll snap a pic very soon, as the Dijon Bomb has them, but they start below the speakers and come towards the seat half way and cover the all of the inside part of the sill.

Ferg

I've always wondered about the scuff plates.

I've now had 3 914s that have them - all the same thing. I like 'em!

They look cool and save the carpet in that area. Plus, as a added bonus, on most 914s these days, they are not only a cosmetic touch, but a structural element of the car! wink.gif

Here's a pic.

IPB Image
Ferg
biggrin.gif Yep, that's them!! clap56.gif I like them alot too, my first 914 had a perfect set, the set I have now are a little dinged up but I still like them.

I don't know for a fact that they are dealer option, but I would like to find out.

Ferg
AvalonFal
I like the look---anybody know if those scuff plates are available on the aftermarket???
914runnow
QUOTE(gregrobbins @ Apr 30 2006, 08:44 PM) *

I am going through my stash of parts and find I have two luggage racks that were attached to the rear deck lid. I started wondering were they a dealer option, or after market "bling?" I know dealers offered radios, side script, AC, and wheels, but what are some of the other things that would have been offered and installed by dealers?

Amco offered that: walnut shift knob...
That expanded center console ...
Front 'Nerf Bar'..for chrome bumpers..
Rear trunk luggage rack chrome...I have instructions for that
BTW......
The dealer would install these BTW...
If sold by salesman or requested by customer......

Ski Racks were either OEM or after Mkt......
Porsche also offered the 'Jute Mats' for 914's
in various colors..They were quite crude.....
I also saw inner fenderwell covers on a 24k original early 73..
Those were pretty cool...
A/C..was DPD and VPC..usually done at POE......
You can always tell when a dealer did it.....
The radios were all added by the dealer.....
I have an 8 track in my 75 that I am resurecting,,,
with a windshield antenna...NO HOLE IN THE FENDER!!!!
I think I will start with that ......
Pat Garvey
Ski Racks were either OEM or after Mkt......
Porsche also offered the 'Jute Mats' for 914's
in various colors..They were quite crude.....
I also saw inner fenderwell covers on a 24k original early 73..
Those were pretty cool...
A/C..was DPD and VPC..usually done at POE......
You can always tell when a dealer did it.....
The radios were all added by the dealer.....
I have an 8 track in my 75 that I am resurecting,,,
with a windshield antenna...NO HOLE IN THE FENDER!!!!
I think I will start with that ......
[/quote]
poke.gif
I still have a set of "jute"/cocoa mats. Have had several & though they were crude - effective!
Inner fender well covers!!!! WOW. I won a set of these in the eraly 80's at a PCA event; thought they were cool at the time - thankfully never installed, because they are moisture traps! Threw them away! a I recall, they were valued close to $200! A fool and his money!
A/C - the dealer always dd it!
Radios were SOMETIMES added by the owner - the dealer suggested I get mine from Crutchfield -which I did. Never had the guts to drill a hole for the antenna! But it somehow still plays.
jasons

Turned aluminum interior scuff plates... I've had two cars with these now, and have been told they were dealer option.

Really? I have a set of those hanging around but I figured they were Amco or something....
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(jasons @ May 3 2006, 08:02 PM) *

Turned aluminum interior scuff plates... I've had two cars with these now, and have been told they were dealer option.

Really? I have a set of those hanging around but I figured they were Amco or something....

that was my understanding
914-8
Some of the latest groovy stuff from Amco!

IPB Image
914-8
This guy sooo badly wanted to be David Soul.

"Don't give up on us, Baby . . . we'll make the wrong - seem right . . ."

IPB Image
914-8
One of the few still sought after aftermarket accessories from the '70s.

(Maybe the only one??)

IPB Image
914-8
Would be nice to pick up some of these factory parts at these prices!

IPB Image

I'll take a front and rear decklid, and GT grille, please!
JeffBowlsby
I have a bunch of photos of dealer and aftermarket acessories on my collectibles website at the link in my signature if anyone is interested. Not complete, but a good beginning...
rickyhgarcia
Why the list include a 914-6 oil tank as an upgrade? DidnĀ“t all 914-6 come with an oil tank?

QUOTE(914-8 @ May 3 2006, 08:26 PM) *

Would be nice to pick up some of these factory parts at these prices!

IPB Image

I'll take a front and rear decklid, and GT grille, please!

street legal go-kart
Riviera wheels.

No really...
Factory ran out of Fuchs in the early part of 1975. Cars delivered after that point came to the US with steel wheels.
Dealers offered the Rivs as an upgrade.

JT
Brew
Has anyone seen one of these? Whatisit?

Sorry the pics too big!! alfred.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
Wa-a-a-ay back in the sixties and early seventies, you'd see those on sports cars sometimes. They were often refered to as "kick plates" or "scuff plates". Yea, the idea here is you can kick your sports car's door open and even hold it open with your polished dress shoe, combat boot or sandel, as appropriate icon8.gif
Ferg
Yes, came with the lower sections from page one.

Ferg beer.gif
914runnow
QUOTE(street legal go-kart @ May 4 2006, 02:27 PM) *

Riviera wheels.

No really...
Factory ran out of Fuchs in the early part of 1975. Cars delivered after that point came to the US with steel wheels.

JT

Hmmmmmm Kool!!
What is on your 76?? (wheels)
davep
The oil tank was probably just a replacement part for the rusted out original. The GT did not have a different tank, just different everything else attached to it.
gregrobbins
Anyone know the colors offered by the dealers for the side scripts?

Anyone know the correct size and if there are any sources for the negative and positive side stripes?
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(gregrobbins @ May 19 2006, 06:30 AM) *

Anyone know the colors offered by the dealers for the side scripts?

Anyone know the correct size and if there are any sources for the negative and positive side stripes?

Side stripes were available in the following:

ZPW 146-129 Green
ZPW 146-130 Gold
ZPW 146-131 Orange
ZPW 146-132 Black
ZPW 146-133 Saturn Yellow
ZPW 146-134 Red
ZPW 146-135 White
ZPW 146-137 Sunflower Yellow

Your guess is as good as mine whether there was a 146-136 or not.
Jasfsmith
At one point ad option was available for "gumball" decals with "914". Here's what they looked like. I have had them for a couple of decades plus. Not sure why I keep hanging on to them.
sixerdon
James,
If you are suggesting selling those round 914 decals, I'll take dibs on one of them.

Don
JeffBowlsby
James, your list of aftermarket side stripe colors is intriguing, where did you get those numbers? Can you post the reference that documents them? I have never known that there were 2 yellows and a red and orange, and a white, etc. I have a 1975 accessories catalog that lists the side stripe colors limited to only 5 colors shown below from the catalog.

Its important to me because of the implications to the LE car stripes. I have a set of the saturn yellow stripes with PN ZPW 146-133, they are definitely not sunflower yellow, the package is simply marked 'yellow'.
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 26 2006, 05:08 AM) *

James, your list of aftermarket side stripe colors is intriguing, where did you get those numbers? Do you have a reference you can post that backs them up? They look valid, but I have never known that there were 2 yellows and a red and orange, and a white, etc. I have a 1975 accessories catalog that lists the side stripe colors limited to only 5 colors shown below from the catalog.

Its important to me because of the implicatiins to the LE car stripes. I have a set of the saturn yellow stripes with PN ZPW 146-133, they are definitely not sunflower yellow, the package is simply marked 'yellow'.

The photo of the 914 with the "gumball" decals on my prior message lists the "P/A Mechandising" items. The offering was tied into the 914 Sebring promotion of the time. I'll scan the sheet and post it as soon as possible.
Jasfsmith
Here is the merchandise sheet for the "914 Sebring Promotion".
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 26 2006, 05:08 AM) *

James, your list of aftermarket side stripe colors is intriguing, where did you get those numbers? Can you post the reference that documents them? I have never known that there were 2 yellows and a red and orange, and a white, etc. I have a 1975 accessories catalog that lists the side stripe colors limited to only 5 colors shown below from the catalog.

Its important to me because of the implications to the LE car stripes. I have a set of the saturn yellow stripes with PN ZPW 146-133, they are definitely not sunflower yellow, the package is simply marked 'yellow'.

I can distinctly recall all the colored stripes with the exception of the green one, on a variety of 914 body colors. I can't honestly say I noted the diffrence in the yellows though.

I'm not sure that a specfic color was tied to a particular model 914 (ie the LE series). I believe they were left up to the dealer to install as an add on. I have seen what I thought were LE models without the side stripe.
JeffBowlsby
Thanks James, thats exactly what I was looking for. I wonder what the 'Sebring Promotion' was all about? Interesting too that the brochure was dated 3/75, that is exactly the time when 914 LEs were being made. Is this a one page brochure or is there more?
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 26 2006, 11:06 AM) *

Thanks James, thats exactly what I was looking for. I wonder what the 'Sebring Promotion' was all about? Interesting too that the brochure was dated 3/75, that is exactly the time when 914 LEs were being made. Is this a one page brochure or is there more?

Sorry. This is all I have on the accessory stripes.

Note that the promotion also included a spolier ZPW 201-914 which was not a Porsche number (I'm not sure it ever was). My brother had a '75 without the spoiler and stripes. The prior own indicated that he did not opt for the package that the local dealer was offering. Sadly he did purchase the Ziebart rust proofing.
JeffBowlsby
I noticed that spoiler number too. ZPW numbers were aftermarket parts just like the side stripes, which were made by VOA. Several companies made LE-lookalike spoilers. There was a VW PN for the authentic LE front air dams (see photo). They were made in white fiberglass, gel coat and molded on all surfaces. two special brackets also, to support the bottom edge of the spoiler to the torsion bar mounts.
gregrobbins
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 26 2006, 12:06 PM) *

I wonder what the 'Sebring Promotion' was all about?

Anyone know about this?
gregrobbins
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 3 2006, 07:03 AM) *

1974 model year...built early 1975 good buddy....

Are your sure?

Here is a quote from a well know LE web site talking about production dates:
In late 1973, to commemorate their racing victories in the 1972 and 1973 Can Am racing series and to boost sales of the 914 model, Porsche began to develop the 1974 Porsche 914 Can Am Edition. This car was to be a special production car limited to only 1000 vehicles, and was refined through at least seven known prototypes before production commenced. The 914 Can Am prototypes are numbered on this webpage for easy reference so we can follow how the car developed.

Here is a link to said web site LINK

I always thought the '74 model year cars started being manufactrured in the fall of '73 and production stopped in June or July of the model year. On the web site listed above, the DOT cars for all but one LE are listed as being February, March and April of 1974.
JeffBowlsby
Touche...just messin with ya....of course you are right.

Actually....my mind is fuzzy....been sick for a week, just beginning to climb out of the hole now....
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(gregrobbins @ Jun 3 2006, 06:56 AM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 3 2006, 07:03 AM) *

1974 model year...built early 1975 good buddy....

Are your sure?

Here is a quote from a well know LE web site talking about production dates:
In late 1973, to commemorate their racing victories in the 1972 and 1973 Can Am racing series and to boost sales of the 914 model, Porsche began to develop the 1974 Porsche 914 Can Am Edition. This car was to be a special production car limited to only 1000 vehicles, and was refined through at least seven known prototypes before production commenced. The 914 Can Am prototypes are numbered on this webpage for easy reference so we can follow how the car developed.

Here is a link to said web site LINK

I always thought the '74 model year cars started being manufactrured in the fall of '73 and production stopped in June or July of the model year. On the web site listed above, the DOT cars for all but one LE are listed as being February, March and April of 1974.

I wonder iff there might be some confusion with the Sebring Edition of the 924 ('79 I think)?
JPB
Cool thread! I like to hear this funky stuff is a dealer option. I have spun aluminium kick guards on each side of the door latch area and on both interior rocker pannels. Thanks guys!

rocking nana.gif Way cool.
gregrobbins
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ May 26 2006, 06:28 AM) *

Pat, any clue what this was about? Click on the arrow by the quote to go back to the photo that mentions the promotion.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(gregrobbins @ Jun 3 2006, 02:47 PM) *

Pat, any clue what this was about? Click on the arrow by the quote to go back to the photo that mentions the promotion.

WTF.gif

Greg,

I can honestly say that I've never heard of this promotion - doesn't mean it didn't exist, though. Oviously, someone had such a promo, but was it Factory or maybe something like a Forida dealer(s) promo? Beats me, though. Actually, it's kinda corny - anyone ever put that stuff on thier 914?
tod914
appears to be just a promotion to sell the colored PORSCHE side stripes
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 3 2006, 03:01 PM) *

WTF.gif

Greg,

I can honestly say that I've never heard of this promotion - doesn't mean it didn't exist, though. Oviously, someone had such a promo, but was it Factory or maybe something like a Forida dealer(s) promo? Beats me, though. Actually, it's kinda corny - anyone ever put that stuff on thier 914?

Unfortunately yes, and no it was not me. The local P/A dealer had two 914's decked out with the gumballs, stripes and spoliers. When sold, both left the dealership without the gumballs.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jun 3 2006, 04:54 PM) *

WTF.gif

Greg,

Unfortunately yes, and no it was not me. The local P/A dealer had two 914's decked out with the gumballs, stripes and spoliers. When sold, both left the dealership without the gumballs.

Just curious, where was the dealership located?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(street legal go-kart @ May 4 2006, 03:27 PM) *

Riviera wheels.

No really...

JT

I had a conversation with Harvey Weideman of Weideman Wheels recently. My '75 came with Western Wheels. Which are now one of Trekkors race wheel sets. In the front trunk is a steel nearly perfect factory spare, apparently never used. I had been under the impression from my reading that all 2.0 liter appearance group cars came with Fuchs and I ran that by Harvey. Harvey told me that he worked at Sierra Porsche in the parts department in the '70s, coincidently this is where my car came from. He says that many dealers including Sierra would remove the Fuchs and replace them with the Riviera or Western Wheel. Then they would charge for an "alloy wheel" dealer installed option charge and put the Fuchs in the parts department. He said they had hundreds of them sitting in the parts department! hmmm... I wonder what ever happened to them?

Rob
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 3 2006, 05:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jun 3 2006, 04:54 PM) *

WTF.gif

Greg,

Just curious, where was the dealership located?

The dealership was Pine State Volkswagen P/A in Bangor, Maine. I think I sold more Porsche's for them than the salesman. They had to take on Porsche to get the Audi's to add to the Volkswagen sales lineup.
Gustl
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 1 2006, 07:25 AM) *

dealers also did the radio and antenna installs IIRC

various Radios were available as factory option (I've price lists from almost all productions years to proof it)

of course there were other radios available as dealer option ...

here's a pic out of the Brian Long book (was easier for me):
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.