Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - okay this is getting wierd now
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drewvw

As some of you who have programmed know, when you are really into a project sometimes you go to sleep and see lines of code in your dreams.

Well, last night I was seeing 914 club posts in my dreams. Peoples avatars and stuff....I think i've been putting in too much time.

and no, this was not induced by smoke.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(drewvw @ May 1 2006, 05:53 AM) *

As some of you who have programmed know, when you are really into a project sometimes you go to sleep and see lines of code in your dreams.

Well, last night I was seeing 914 club posts in my dreams. Peoples avatars and stuff....I think i've been putting in too much time.

haha, yeah. back in the early '90s, we used to have "DOOM" lan-parties, sometimes 72 hours straight without sleep, just brakes for pizza and soda.

after a 72 hour session, i would always dream about playing the game for another 2 nights/days ...
blink.gif Andy
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 1 2006, 08:40 AM) *

QUOTE(drewvw @ May 1 2006, 05:53 AM) *

haha, yeah. back in the early '90s, we used to have "DOOM" lan-parties, sometimes 72 hours straight without sleep, just brakes for pizza and soda.

after a 72 hour session, i would always dream about playing the game for another 2 nights/days ...
blink.gif Andy

Some people really know how to have fun! laugh.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 1 2006, 10:12 AM) *

Some people really know how to have fun! laugh.gif

you have *no* idea how much fun that was ...

cool_shades.gif Andy
VaccaRabite
72 hours of DOOM is insane. I used to play for a couple of hours at a time, but I'd get bored eventually. I have always had a low tolerance with computer games. I enjoy them, but I have to play in small doses.

I do dream of car parts and fixes. And I have drempt of code.

Zach
bd1308
I dont dream much at all blink.gif

b
grasshopper
this is wierd why??? I dream of 914's all the time. yeah...Im a loser locust.gif
bd1308
Only 914 dreams I have are the ones where I'm driving a CA 914 without rust.

I hope to someday have my rust gone, and be able to drive the car too.

b
grasshopper
QUOTE(bd1308 @ May 1 2006, 06:08 PM) *

Only 914 dreams I have are the ones where I'm driving a CA 914 without rust.

I hope to someday have my rust gone, and be able to drive the car too.

b

I dream of waking up on christmas and having rust in my stocking blink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 1 2006, 06:50 PM) *

I used to play for a couple of hours at a time, but I'd get bored eventually.

during a lan-party, you're with 8 or 10 or more guys in a big room and you play against each other. with DOOM you had up to 4 players in the same game, so we would play tournament style in teams of two.

loads of fun and 72 hours go by like nothing. we would usually start friday morning and play straight through until monday morning ...
type.gif Andy
Qarl
I often solve problems in my sleep. If I am up late trying to find a solution to something (programming, work-related, etc.) I sometimes continue working while I sleep.

I did that a lot in college. Would spend hours on a homework solution and get stuck. Went to sleep and figured it out in my dreams.

Last night I dreamt I was walking down the beach with a metal detector and stumbled upon a hugh pile of burried money and jewelry. Then I woke up.

headbang.gif
Qarl
Sometimes I dream that I did something incredible... like win the lottery... and in my dream I question myself whether I am dreaming or not.... and in the dream I convince myself that I am NOT dreaming... then I wake up!

IPB Image

bd1308
Andy, was this over some sort of token ring network, or over serial connections (only 2 people there) or over 10Base-2?

b
Hammy
I used to be able to wake up and fall back asleep and realize I was dreaming and control my dream... Was really weird.... back when I was on meds rolleyes.gif smile.gif
Brando
QUOTE(bd1308 @ May 1 2006, 09:43 PM) *
Andy, was this over some sort of token ring network, or over serial connections (only 2 people there) or over 10Base-2?

b

Good old 10-Base T, coaxial. Put that together with IPX/SPX and you'd have super-fast LAN play!

I used to do the same with Quake (first one), Doom, and Rise of the Triad!
SirAndy

10-Base T ... with them funky round connectors and the "T" to route the cable and those screw-on terminators on each end of the cable. i had a computer shop back then, so everyone had network cards, even thought back then no one really needed them for anything else but the game parties.

remember, that was way before "the internet" took off ...
biggrin.gif Andy
bd1308
in 6th grade I wired up a 10base-2 network (small) and then I wired the two rooms where I had computers in.

COmputers are cool, vintage macs are awesome smile.gif

b
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brando @ May 1 2006, 09:57 PM) *

Rise of the Triad!

that was the first one with a working flame-thrower! good times.

how about Heretic? the egg and the chickens was just hillarious ...
w00t.gif Andy

PS: i still got all them games here on my box ...
Hawktel
The place I work at use to let us have Lan Parties late night.

Till we had 120 people there, and blew the power curcuit in the lower floor.

I played Unreal Tournament 24vs 24 for 48 hours straight. Pizza and Bawls.

Good Stuff.
mightyohm
You mean 10-base 2?

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 1 2006, 09:57 PM) *

10-Base T ... with them funky round connectors and the "T" to route the cable and those screw-on terminators on each end of the cable. i had a computer shop back then, so everyone had network cards, even thought back then no one really needed them for anything else but the game parties.

remember, that was way before "the internet" took off ...
biggrin.gif Andy

SirAndy
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ May 1 2006, 10:22 PM) *

You mean 10-base 2?

actually, we had "10-Base 5", which all falls under the category of "10-Base T" ...

"10-Base T" includes:

• 10BASE-2 (Thinwire coaxial cable with a maximum segment length of 185 meters)
• 10BASE-5 (Thickwire coaxial cable with a maximum segment length of 500 meters)
• 10BASE-F (optical fiber cable)
• 10BASE-36 (broadband coaxial cable carrying multiple baseband channels for a maximum length of 3,600 meters)

cool_shades.gif Andy
jonwatts
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 1 2006, 09:57 PM) *

10-Base T ... with them funky round connectors

BNC connectors.

Sorry, have to chime in like I know something from time to time. Playing against your friends really pumps up the addiction level of almost any game. It started with Quake 1 and finished with Gran Prix Legends. Good times.
Sparky
Used to do the same thing back then at work. We'd host Doom, Quake, Heretic and Outwars LAN parties on Friday nights. It was easier to convince the wife I was doing server upgrades then inviting the guys over. As we upgraded to 10 Base T a the office I created a token ring at home. I feel dirty admitting that blink.gif .

My best,
Mike D.
drewvw

I used to play a ton of unreal....great game. I always preferred it over quake.'

and how about castle wolfenstein....now that's old school!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.