Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Batteries, Orbital, Optima which one?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tobra
I figure I will go to NAPA, since it is right down the street, sorta like that place anyway, anyone know a part # on their version of the sealed battery?

Can I just go down and ask for their version of the Optima 34R and the puck adaptor? No joy on a search, and I am skeptical they will be able to track down one using someone elses part #
BigDBass
popcorn[1].gif
Mueller
I'm using one spec'd for a GM vehicle...it has the top posts as well as the side posts which is nice.
turboman808
I'm using an odessey. Very small but works real nice. I have it in the stock location but I really need to make a battery box for it.
McMark
I believe the sealed NAPA brand battery (Orbital) is a 9000 series. I like the Orbital better because it fits the battery tray without an adapter.
Bartlett 914
I'm using an Orbital from Napa. It is nice because it had both the big round posts and a stud. I use the large post to go to the starter, The stud I use for the other 4 red wires. This makes a neat installation. It also makes it easy for me to disconnect the wire for the accessories. My old radio drains the battery over a short time. I have 3 wires bolted fitmly. The 4th is held in place with a wing nut.
Mueller
I've heard that some people spec a Miata sized battery due to it being smaller...
Tobra
QUOTE(McMark @ May 1 2006, 09:08 AM) *

I believe the sealed NAPA brand battery (Orbital) is a 9000 series. I like the Orbital better because it fits the battery tray without an adapter.

Tell the truth, it is because that is where you live.

Really wanted to buy it today, tomorrow it is, hopefully in stock
jim_hoyland
Are there more than one series of Orbital ? 6 and9 ?
East coaster
icon_bump.gif

Is anyone going to give up the Orbital part# ?????
lapuwali
I'm now thinking the Odyssey PC680 is the battery to use. Seems to have sufficient cranking power, uses the same leak-free "dry" technology that Optima does, and it weighs less than 15lbs. An Optima 34 weighs 35lbs. There's no easier way to drop 20lbs off the weight of the car, IMHO.
pete-stevers
gotta sayit my optima is fricken heavy!.....
MXMARK
Hi, I am using a Odyssey PC680 in my 914 and my 911. The battery works great. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks Mark
Flat VW
In the mid eighties I was running a german made battery, Dry-Fit was the name or something like that. It was small and made big current.

It was half the size of the Optima.

The Optima does impress me though, my green car seemed to have unlimited cranking ability using one.

I also was impressed with the tremendous 'stand-by time' under 'some dummy left the parking lights AND the interior light on' moments.

An Optima is not an 'engineered solution' for a teener, but they are forgiving.

John

P.S. TWENTY pounds, huh? idea.gif
retrotech
Odessy PC680
neo914-6
Braille Baby!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.