Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: opinions....which is better...or at all good?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ferg
Keep the ATS's ditch the rivs

Ferg smile.gif
JerryP
I'm starting to lean that way too. I like that the ATS are a little different and I can fit a little more rubber under the fender as well.
JWest
I've always liked the ATS wheels - they look great!
Ray Warren
ATS of course

jasons
QUOTE(JerryP @ May 1 2006, 08:08 AM) *

I'm starting to lean that way too. I like that the ATS are a little different and I can fit a little more rubber under the fender as well.

Don't lean that way. RUN as fast as you can that way. ATS all the way.

Ditch the Rivs.
JerryP
That's the picture I was looking for Ray. I knew a one or two guys were running the ATS without the black paint. They look great that way. Did you strip them or could you buy them that way?
lotus_65
QUOTE(jasons @ May 1 2006, 09:21 AM) *

Ditch the Rivs.

it's gonna be a landslide...

ats, waaaayyyy cooler.
Mueller
ATS all the way...fine German wheel...

the riv's are cheap cast rims made from recycled beer cans smile.gif

tdsmoonchild
[/quote]

Ditch the Rivs.
[/quote]

Is there a reason to ditch the Rivs? I have a set that came on the parts car. Probably won't use them. Just wondering why everyone is down on them.
jasons
QUOTE(tdsmoonchild @ May 1 2006, 08:48 AM) *

Ditch the Rivs.

Is there a reason to ditch the Rivs? I have a set that came on the parts car. Probably won't use them. Just wondering why everyone is down on them.

I would call them the "lowest common denominator"
db9146
Silver ATS.
Mueller
QUOTE(tdsmoonchild @ May 1 2006, 08:48 AM) *

they belong on VW bugs...normally totally wrong offset, main reason why limited to size of tires run on them, the reason you see so many of them is that you used to be able to buy them for like $60 a pop brand new and with 914 owners being so cheap, many sets bought....there is nothing majorly "wrong" with them, it's just that there are better options in my opinion...
JerryP
Something weird about 914's...this is my 4th car and I never liked rivs on any of them except this one....can't explain it. In fact, this car actually came with a different set of rivs on it, which I did not like. Had this set lying in the garage so I threw them on. For some reason I think some rivs look cool some cars but bad on lots of others. confused24.gif

monkeydance.gif Looks like a shutout.
JerryP
The outcome is interesting considering you don't see too many cars with ATS wheels, even though these wheels can still be purchased new....and pretty cheaply. Maybe its because you can get a set of decent used fuchs for about the same price as these new and keep it factory.
msglaigaie
ATS, yes, much better. The silver would be a visual improvement, but thats me. Final decision has to be with you mate, but the ATS look great. MSG L
tat2dphreak
another ATS vote.. never liked rivs
JerryP
I generally like the look of the silver wheels too...which is why I originally posed the question. Maybe I'll strip an polish the ATS...although the black with silver trim does look sort of evil....in a good way. I'll live with it for a few weeks and see how it grows on me.
Aaron Cox
man of few words.
ATS. Gud.
Riviera - suck
914-8
Wow, that's an easy one.

The answer in a comparo like that is ALWAYS "ABR."

(Anything But Rivieras!)
drewvw

I actually like rivs, but that must be my type 1 instincts kicking in.

you should just get dubs anyways biggrin.gif
maf914
QUOTE(JerryP @ May 1 2006, 07:35 AM) *

That's the picture I was looking for Ray. I knew a one or two guys were running the ATS without the black paint. They look great that way. Did you strip them or could you buy them that way?

Those ATS Road Stars (as they used to be called) came in either silver or black. I had a set of silver wheels. I liked the looks, but they have less backspace than a stock wheel which limits the tire width at the rear. I used 185/70's at the time which was an increase from the 165 stock tires.
JerryP
finally someone admits to liking the rivs......my car could use a little bling bling though.

yep....185/70's are what's on mine....beats the 165's on the rivs.
Hammy
Visually I like the rivs ohmy.gif
bernbomb914
ATS all the way yellow is faster

Bernie
bernbomb914
I run 205 55s on mine with on problem
JerryP
205/55's would be nice. That's good to know as I may be needing tires.
Gint
QUOTE(JerryP @ May 1 2006, 10:23 AM) *

The outcome is interesting considering you don't see too many cars with ATS wheels, even though these wheels can still be purchased new....and pretty cheaply. Maybe its because you can get a set of decent used fuchs for about the same price as these new and keep it factory.

Where can they be purchased new?

Based on wheels alone, I prefer the silver ATS. But on that car the black with silver accented ATS wheels look awesome.

Ditch the Riv's. icon8.gif But that's just MHO. You did ask. Opinions are like .......
JerryP
Click to view attachment
JerryP
actually that was from a year or so ago. It looks like they have changed the "classic" wheel a bit.

Click to view attachment
JerryP
honest opinions are what I wanted...that's why I asked. Thanks to all. beerchug.gif
Eric_Shea
Blast the ATS and keep them. I like the clean (ala: Ray) ATS look.
Mugs914
QUOTE(jasons @ May 1 2006, 08:21 AM) *

Ditch the Rivs.

Werd...

I like Rivs, but the ATS do look better and are different. I like the black too...
Joe Bob
If Rivs were heavier they would be gud boat anchors.
Trekkor
I've always liked Riv's. Always will.
I run 'em on the street or in the rain.

195/50's

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.