Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Asymetrical tireshy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BMXerror
Hey all. I ordered some Khumo Escta ASXs to replace the rotted out Dunlops on my Porsche. I had them mounted and balanced at the local shop, but a couple days later, I noticed something. They're asymetrical, which I knew, but I didn't realize that that means the tread points forward on one side, and backwards on the other. I looked at the sidewalls and the 'outside' markings are on the outside all the way around. Do you have to buy right and left side tires when you go with and asymetrical design? It sounds to me like a stupid question, but I don't know if it'll do well in wet weather with one side pushing the rainwater forward under the tire. They are an all season tire afterall. Any info would help. Thanks
Mark D.
Mueller

all the arrows should be facing towards front of car....the tire installers should be liable for mounting them correctly...I've had to take a car back due to them installing one side "backwards"

Joe Ricard
Yup sounds like you got all right side tires. or all lefts.
Demick
If the tires are both directional and asymmetric, then yes, you need 2 lefts, and 2 rights.

However, most directional tires are still symmetric left to right, so the tire installer just needs to install 2 one way, and 2 the other way, and mount them on the correct sides of the car so that the rotation direction is correct (proper rotation direction molded into sidewall).

But I think Kumho ASX tires are assymetric, but not directional. So you should just have the 'outside' mounted to the outside of the wheel. Sounds like you have them on correctly.

Demick
BMXerror
I got them from Tire Rack, and they didn't say anything about left or right. It's something I should've thought of, but I've never done this before. SHIT! headbang.gif
Mark D
Mueller
QUOTE(BMXerror @ May 1 2006, 01:02 PM) *

I got them from Tire Rack, and they didn't say anything about left or right. It's something I should've thought of, but I've never done this before. SHIT! headbang.gif
Mark D

the local shop should have done it correctly and should not charge you to re-do them correctly if you took all 4 tires in at the same time...re-read what Demick wrote....
BMXerror
Okay, I seem to have skipped over the 'but not directional' part. So how do you know if they're directional. I can't find it on tire rack. Is it on the sidewall somewhere?
Mark D.
Mueller
QUOTE(BMXerror @ May 1 2006, 01:24 PM) *

Okay, I seem to have skipped over the 'but not directional' part. So how do you know if they're directional. I can't find it on tire rack. Is it on the sidewall somewhere?
Mark D.

they should have an arrow stating direction...some tires will go further and specify "outside" or "inside"
BMXerror
Well, I went out and looked and didn't see any directional arrows or L & R indicators, so I guess Demick is right. I still think it's weird, but if it works, whatever. Thanks guys.
Mark D.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.