Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mobile Welding
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
richardL
I'm going to need some welding done on my car:

Front sway bar mounts
Battery tray
Hinge support for engine lid.

Are there 'mobile welding services' that will come to the car, or should I plan on having to take the car to the welder.

If they do exist, does anybody have a recommendation in the Bay Area (Peninsula)?

TIA,
Richard
Brew
Dunno about the west coast, but most mobile welders here only have diesel powered stick-arc machines, not the ideal set-up for your application. You really need to take it to an experienced fabricator, preferably one that's familiar with working on cars of some sort (body shop, racer/builder, etc.)

Just my $.02.
LvSteveH
Actually, it sounds like it's all light welding, a 115v portable mig (hobart handler/miller sidekick or 135 etc) would be just fine. You'll get much cleaner welds using shielding gas as opposed to flux core. If you don't want to take the car into a shop, I'm sure you could talk someone into doing it on a weekend or evening. If you want to be ambitious, you could buy the equipment ($600)and have someone come over to help with the repairs and show you how to use it.

They are very versatile little machines, and can be used for virtually any of the welding done on a 914 with proper prep and setup.
Elliot_Cannon
There's a guy in So. Cal that will travel to your house but he won't go any further north than Santa Barbara. There's gotta be someone up there that you can find. Call some body shops. maybe they know of someone.
Cheers, Elliot
Mueller
Richard,

You can borrow my MIG (w/gas) setup if you want.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.