Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recommend an air compressor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
terrymason
I've decided to replace my air compressor with something better, and I'd like to get your opinions. I'd like a fancy craftsman, but I'm not sure they are the best value out there. I'd like to be able to paint, and use my airtools (cutting wheel, etc) with it. I don't want overkill, but as is, it takes a full 20 minutes fom my 5gallon tank to reach 80psi.

So what do you guys think? Maybe something like this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=90234

Terry
Qarl
QUOTE(terrymason @ May 1 2006, 09:32 PM) *

I've decided to replace my air compressor with something better, and I'd like to get your opinions. I'd like a fancy craftsman, but I'm not sure they are the best value out there. I'd like to be able to paint, and use my airtools (cutting wheel, etc) with it. I don't want overkill, but as is, it takes a full 20 minutes fom my 5gallon tank to reach 80psi.

So what do you guys think? Maybe something like this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=90234

Terry

Too small... Are you ever going to run a media blaster? If so, then this is too small.

Get the biggest you can afford... seriously.

Look at all the tools you have and you think you'd ever buy and look for the required volume flow rate/PSI.

Find a compressor with slightly greater stats than that. +25% is good.
Allan
I was in Costco and saw a big one for $399.00. 155psi IIRC.
Brett W
Buy an Ingersoll Rand. They don't get any better than that. Go ahead and pick up something along the lines of a 60-80gal tank with a compressor that will flow in the 18-25cfm range. Then you will never have any problems. ALso look at one that continually feed 175 psi.
Qarl
What he said...

IPB Image
Jack Daniels
Definately buy one as big as you can afford and have space for. Don't get an oilless type. They're terribly loud. About 5hp is typically as big as will go 120v. Anything larger will require 240v. If you're not handy with running a new circuit, stick to 120v. I have a Campbell & Hausfield 6.5hp two cyl 80g tank vertical here at my printshop. It's 125psi and delivers about 10cfm at 90psi. IMO, that's plenty big enough for the average shadetree mechanic. At home, where I do all my automotive stuff, I have a smaller, 5hp two cyl Campbell & Hausfeld 120v with a 30g tank horizontal. You can simply plug it in, but you'd better not have much on the circuit along with it. I have a dedicated circuit for it in my garage. C&H makes decent stuff. Probably not as top-shelf as Ingersol, but not as pricey either. I bought one of them at Home Depot and the other at Harbor Freight.
URY914
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Go here and do a search. More than could ever want to know...
spare time toys
Do not get the oilless ones. The teflon bearings dont hold up at least the one I had didnt. Now I have an IR and love it.
DBCooper
I have a 60 gallon 5hp Ingersol-Rand that came with a cheap all-aluminum two cylinder compressor (replaced with a cast iron unit), a cheap motor (replaced), a cheap plastic switch/overfill relief (replaced), but what appears to be a pretty good tank. Looking at the new C-H compressors at Harbor-Freight I don't see a bit of difference in level of quality from the new I-R's. In fact I'd bet they come out of the same factory. I kind of like the Ingersol-Rand decal on the tank, but don't think it's worth the $200 premium.
lapuwali
Most of the cheaper units have adequate tanks and inadequate flow rates (the CFM number). Using a blast cabinet, a cutoff wheel, or anything else that operates continuously, is all CFM. If you can't run the tool straight off the compressor, you'll have to pause as you wait for the tank to refill. Using a nailer, or an impact wrench, or anything that operates in short bursts, doesn't require anything like as much flow, and a big tank simply means the compressor won't run as often.

Flow costs much more than tank size, so you'll have to decide what you usually do with the compressor. I have a Campbell-Hausfield that flows 9CFM, and I can't practically run a cutoff wheel with it, except for really small jobs. However, the tank hits 100psi inside 5 minutes. It was $300 10 years ago, and only gets used a few times a year. 110V, oilless, noisy, but good enough for me.

It's easy to get sucked into tool envy, even for something you're not going to use all that often.
736conver
These guys have some reasonable prices. They make all their own compressors.
http://www.eatoncompressor.com/page/page/504747.htm

Also Puma brand is fairly cheap. I have a nice 80 gallon unit, I think about 24cfm. Cost just over $1000.

If you dont have 220v you can always go to gas compressor. Its loud but they pack a big CFM for a little unit. They can be alittle expensive though.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.