Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Non-Matching bumpers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Dead Air
This car's a "73 2.0.
The front bumpers black and the back one chrome. What up?
914-8
it got hit in the front and someone put a replacement bumper on. the person who did it was not picky.
SirAndy
agree.gif sounds like a custom replacement.

not all bumpers were chrome thought, in fact, at least in the early years, the chrome bumpers were an "option", the standard setup of a 914 had body painted bumpers ...

they also had blacked out/bodycolor trim etc.

smile.gif Andy
914-8
I believe all U.S. '73 2.0's came standard with the Appearance Group package, which would have included chrome bumpers.

In '74, because of the declining US dollar and the increase in the cost of Euro cars in the US, the Appearance Group (and the Sport Package) were made optional on all U.S. 914, including the 2.0.

The car had become pretty expensive by then, which is why you see a lot of '74 2.0s without the Appearance Group option (chrome bumpers, etc.) and the Sport Package option (Fuchs, sways, etc.).

If you fully optioned out a '74 with the Appearance and Sport options, it only cost a little bit less than the 911T from a few years earlier.
Pat Garvey
I think it's open to discussion about the appearance group on '73 2.0's. When I took delivery of my '72 1.7 in late August '72, the first '73 2.0 had just arrived at the dealership. Though it had Fuchs on it, and was a 2.0, the bumpers were black & no sail panel vinyl - though it did have fogs. May be that, as in many early run models of the new year, things were not completely settled as to what comprised the appearance group?

I'd get a COA, though they're a little pricey these days.
JeffBowlsby
Andy, Its a nice looking car, but those red car photos cannot be of a factory 914. Its a euro car. But its been modified, its having an identity crisis:

It has steel 4-cross wheels of 1974-76 vintage-ok
Gen 1 rear valence: 1970-72-only?
1970-only rear bumper
Body color bumpers were only available through 1973
Body color rear targa bar trim? Never available.
Crest on front hood, never available
Black painted door handles and windshield trim?
Body color fog lite grilles - never available
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 2 2006, 09:39 AM) *

Andy, Its a nice looking car, but those red car photos cannot be of a factory 914. Its a euro car. But its been modified, its having an identity crisis:

It has steel 4-cross wheels of 1974-76 vintage-ok
Gen 1 rear valence: 1970-72-only?
1970-only rear bumper
Body color bumpers were only available through 1973
Body color rear targa bar trim? Never available.
Crest on front hood, never available
Black painted door handles and windshield trim?
Body color fog lite grilles - never available

yes, you are correct that this is *not* a prime example of the "standard" edition as it obviously has been modified.

the pictures are from DGVWPB, page 62. the text reads:

"The 914 in "Standard Edition" without Chrome and Vinyl ..."
"what originally was considered spartanic looks classy and elegant today."

it's a euro car with the correct "914-VW-Porsche" emblem, correct painted bumpers front/rear, correct no sail-vinyl.
the car has a non-moveable pass. seat, so it must be a early car. again correct. which would explain the early rear bumper.

DGVWPB also states (page 60):

"Neither was there ever a factory 914 with the VW emblem nor a 914/6 with the porsche crest on the front hood"

i'm sure there's more, let me dig around a bit ...
beerchug.gif Andy
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 1 2006, 07:49 PM) *

not all bumpers were chrome thought, in fact, at least in the early years, the chrome bumpers were an "option", the standard setup of a 914 had body painted bumpers ...

smile.gif Andy

Although.... since it's red.......if the wheels were something like cookie cutters, and the motor from a 2.4 CIS, and the roof painted to match......SLAP! Sorry, got distracted by the good looks of this 914. Excuse me, a purist must go to confession now!
914runnow
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 1 2006, 07:49 PM) *

smile.gif Andy

Even my self as the picky 'Originalist', that I am..
I LOVE that Euro Look!!!!
But the 'Sun Wheels' Gottah go blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.