Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Holding down an Optima battery?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smontanaro
I'm planning to buy an Optima battery for my 914. If I understand from
a recent post on 914@rennlist.org I want the 34R size. (Optima's website
says they have nothing for 914s.) I thought I saw some sort of special
clamp was necessary as well. Was I dreaming? I looked at Pelican's
site, but I didn't see anything. (I freely admit I have trouble searching
their site.) A quick check of a few other places didn't show anything
either. Pointers much appreciated...

Thx,

Skip Montanaro
olav
Yah there is.

When I bought my Optima I called Optima and ordered a particular hold down clamp and they shipped it to me no charge.

I can't remember the part no. though.

I hope someone else can recall. I think Briton might know because I told him about it.
Aaron Cox
group 78 adapter IIRC
MarkV
Group 78 battery hold down:

MarkV
closeup ...
dlo914
BINGO!!! clap56.gif got the same clamp holding down my yellow top optima in my yellow 14'
SirAndy
i need one! where, o where can i get this?

w00t.gif Andy
dlo914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 1 2006, 10:02 PM) *

i need one! where, o where can i get this?

w00t.gif Andy

i could snatch you one from work :::shh..dont tell my boss::: and you pay for shipping. hehe or could just get it free from Optima. biggrin.gif
markb
I use the stock 914 holddown. Works fine.
Hammy
hijacked.gif
I don't have an optima, but my battery doesn't have anything holding it down. It just sits there in place. Is it gonna flop over onto the engine ? blink.gif
markb
QUOTE(Hammy @ May 1 2006, 11:22 PM) *

hijacked.gif
I don't have an optima, but my battery doesn't have anything holding it down. It just sits there in place. Is it gonna flop over onto the engine ? blink.gif

Probably. biggrin.gif If you corner like I do, anyway.
Hammy
QUOTE(markb @ May 1 2006, 11:24 PM) *

hijacked.gif

hijacked.gif again
Can I fabricate something ?
Howard
Never having to say you are sorry biggrin.gif Make all the tech inspectors happy with $2 worth of aluminum strap.
Mueller

hijacked.gif again

I dunno, can you??? screwy.gif

You have pictures of what is used, so you either have the materials and resources or you order it....you don't need our permission smile.gif
smash.gif welder.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(Hammy @ May 1 2006, 11:29 PM) *

QUOTE(markb @ May 1 2006, 11:24 PM) *

hijacked.gif

hijacked.gif again

If you dont. I'll come over and puncture holes in all your tires....

When you come to the point of driving it, let me know and we'll make you a nice strong hold down.

Andrew
blitZ
I ordered my Optima 34R from Battery Web. It was actually cheaper with shipping then I could find it local. The battery came with the mounting brackets.
tod914
If you go for the 34 type battery, you can lie it on it's side and secure it with a strap. It fits very snug in the battery tray that way. If you go for the R, youll have to trim the bottom edges for it to fit. In hindsite I would not of put the Reverse terminal model in my car.
grantsfo
QUOTE(markb @ May 1 2006, 11:19 PM) *

Me too - I put a piece of hard rubber in place - it hasnt moved after numerous AX's
ClayPerrine
I took the 914 factory holddown and welded two big washers to it. They reach out and grab the battery in between the cells.

Took about 5 minutes. 15 minutes to paint after it cooled.
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(grantsfo @ May 2 2006, 08:58 AM) *

Really???! That's great news. I've had my battery strapped down with a temporary nylon strap connected in like 3 places because I was so paranoid that my driving through bumpy corners at high speed would send the battery tumbling and crush the fuel lines and stuff. I don't think my battery strap would look good at any kind of "inspection" biggrin.gif
smontanaro
Okay, so as the OP I'm more confused than when I started. Do I want a group 34,
a group 34R or something else? I looked at the referenced BatteryWeb page. They
have a number of "34"s. I take it I don't need the ones with the GM side terminals.
Is the only difference the placement of the + and - terminals?

Oh, and what about deep cycle? What's that mean?

Thx,

Skip
East coaster
Anybody have the Orbital model# that fits the stock tray???
smontanaro
I came across this comparison page:

http://www.evsource.com/faqs/batteries/orb..._dimensions.php

If a group 34 Optima fits a group 34 Orbital ought to. It appears the
Orbital is only available in deep cycle versions. Dunno what that
means for our application.

Skip
blitZ
Deep cycle batteries are made for continuous use and can stand a constain minimal draw oover a period of time. The typical cranking battery is designed for a high amp burst to start the vehicle. Then there are combination batteries which can do both, but cost more. I use the combination type in my boat to run accessories and as a backup starting battery.

I don't think you need deep cycle on your car unless you intend to install a trolling motor. The red top starting battery should be fine. The yellow top is deep cycle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.