Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.2 Conversion PHASE II
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kdfoust
I had to take a couple of months off from working on the '14 after getting the 3.2 installed and running. I've been driving it around pretty often and still can't believe I didn't do this conversion sooner. At this stage I know most people start worrying about brake upgrades and all kinds of crazy stuff like that. Well I'm not going there right now. I've got to get the interior cleaned up and looking at least like I did all this on purpose. Originally the car had a really nice unrestored interior, like a 8.0 or so if we rated such things. The 3.2 conversion interior is going to be stripped down to a large degree but still have nice features. Here's a quick sketch of what I'm going after on the dash. The pod on the passenger side is to distract them from the abject terror that most people experience when this little beast is accelerating at full throttle. It also makes the car a little more unique and batmobilesque smoke.gif

More to come.

Kevin
JoeSharp
Damn Kevin: You had the perttiest green 1.7 (and I don't like green) I have ever seen. Now your going to show all of us up with your stuff again. KOOL!!! Can you come to the Lone Pine A/X with Team NARP Racing? It would be really good to have you on board.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
kdfoust
Here's the current status of the interior. This evening I just start re-fitting the dash pad. It's installed over the instrument pod. Fortunately, I've got a donor dash. I won't be missing the red and yellow dash. The trick is that with the cage installed the dash needs to be mulitple pieces in order to install it. Maybe with the windowshield out...no forget it.

Later,
Kevin

kdfoust
Hey Joe! Thanks buddy. The car is going to be beaatch'n.

That Lone Pine event sounds like a blast. I've had it on my todo list for awhile. On the 20th I already commited to helping out "another club" that I run with.

I would like to NARP a few SCCA cars with my stock appearing 914. biggrin.gif

Later dude,
Kevin

John
Holy crap Kevin.

You have been driving yours like that? NO wonder I'm not quite done with my 3.2 yet. I've got about a month left to go on mine....
kdfoust
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ May 1 2006, 11:59 PM) *

Holy crap Kevin.

You have been driving yours like that? NO wonder I'm not quite done with my 3.2 yet. I've got about a month left to go on mine....

Yeah, crazy mofo fo sure. Had stuff todo though and driving the car is too much fun even without an interior.

Later,
Kevin
swood
Love that Irie yellow, gold, black and green interior! Macka spliff!
dlo914
there bling items make the gauges look drooley.gif
kdfoust
I got to work on roughing in the dash pad and passenger gauge pod this evening. I probably would've got the pad fitted if a neighbor hadn't stopped by the garage. The thing I always try to remember is that this isn't just my project. The neighbors are in darn near as deep. They'd probably be more disappointed than I if something didn't work out. Once I get all the dash pads roughed in I'll commence to cutting the old face off the dash sub-structure so I can put in a face with the holes where I'm going to need them.

Cutting the dash pads up is pretty easy work with a coping saw or a hack saw. Since I've got a donor top I can even afford to make a couple of mistakes... blink.gif

Here's the look of the pods.....

Later,
Kevin
kdfoust
Pods from the front side....
shoguneagle
I love it! It brings the passenger into the "racing event" or "touring event" on a participatory level as the driver. I can see the some old type events coming to life again. I can see it now, a timing/communication/navigation/entertainment/traveling/etc. console. I really like it and will watch with interest. Sounds like something I would do including ham radio, timing, satalite connection, global positioning, movies, wireless telecommunications, cell telephone, or whatever you want as you travel down the road.

Looking forward to watching with interest. Keep going, Tiger!!

Steve N Sandy Hurt
John
Are you going to put a second steering wheel in there? That would make it exciting.

A second set of pedals could convert it into a Drivers Ed car.
kdfoust
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ May 3 2006, 12:03 AM) *

Are you going to put a second steering wheel in there? That would make it exciting.

A second set of pedals could convert it into a Drivers Ed car.

Not that I'm gonna but adding a second brake pedal would be a piece of cake, it's only hydraulics after all. If you look at how the interior on these is put together I don't think converting this to RHD would that much of a problem. I think we're getting to the root of this little excursion: I've always wanted a RHD Lotus 7. Probably shoulda bought one years ago and saved myself all this work.. smash.gif

shoguneagle: clearly you are a mad man. You should come over and help, I need your kind of crazy on this project. You are reading correctly though, this car will be used for rallies, like Targa Newfoundland so a passenger "pod" will be useful.

Later,
Kevin
maf914
If you installed both LHD and RHD in your car and were stopped for speeding, who would the police officer give the ticket to? laugh.gif
kdfoust
Today was a pretty good day on the dash project. Upto this time I had been messing around just taping stuff in place. Today I went in cutting, fitting, and brazing the dash into a dual pod configuration. I still need to finish off the mounting for the bottom edge of the dash as well as setting up the match between the two halves of the dash. I though about heading down to the beach today. I'm not gonna say that I'm glad I worked on the car instead, but it was a good day. biggrin.gif

Later,
Kevin
kdfoust
digipic of dash setting in car...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.