Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I want lighter wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
Sure isn't much out there for light wheels for the 914. I see all these ricer wheels by SSR and Kosei. going at 9.5 lbs.
I want to get 7" wheels to move to D prepared vice X prepared.
Track and Autocross only so the wheels can be minimal. Only going to run slicks on them.
Who has a source?
URY914
Are Kizer wheels still being made?

They used to say thiers were they lightest.
nocones
REAL wheels used to make a nice light wheel for our cars (race only) that didn't break the bank. It's been a few years since I looked though.

REAL wheels
Kaiser
Kodiak
Jongblood

Just a few options...
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 2 2006, 08:45 AM) *

Are Kizer wheels still being made?

They used to say thiers were they lightest.

I imagine so. they have a web site still and offer custom backspace and bolt patterns.

Anything else?
biggy72
I don't know about full size car wheels, but the 10" keizers we have on our formula car are not very good. I've heard stories of up to an eighth inch of run out on a brand new wheel, and our wheels flex quite a bit and bend very easily. Also tires can only be taken on and off so many times before the wheel's too far gone to be usable any more. They're cheap and light, but not necessarily good.
Gustl
maybe Minilite?

http://www.minilite.co.uk/

wavey.gif Gustl
URY914
I had heard that Keizers had thier problems. I read somewhere that they leak too.

bodyman
weld sells these. I have a friend that got a pair for his 914 without adaptors so I know they should be available.
IPB Image
It looks like 15X7 are running $149.95 each new.
they are very lightweight and would probably suit your needs.

grantsfo
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 2 2006, 08:01 AM) *

I had heard that Keizers had thier problems. I read somewhere that they leak too.

My 15x8 Keizers weighed a little under 10 lbs. They can make them for about $275 a wheel.

The wheels will only leak if you let idiots install your tires. You cant break the silcone bead when mounting tires. When tires are installed properly they hold air fine. I think they sell tires too so you could order rims and have them premount everything.
Thorshammer
I ran the Kodiaks at the Runoffs, they were very nice, about 10.8 lbs for the wheel, and the hub was enormous, no issues breaking them. and they have held air throughout the winter months, some wheels just don't seal that well.

Erik Madsen
jhadler
All of the above are good. One place that hasn't been mantioned, is Spinwerkes. These wheels used to be sold under the name of Circle Racing, but they're solo now. They have two models, both are very good, and quite light. I suspect that you could get a 15x7" right around 10 lbs. When I was looking at 'em, I was looking at 15x8's, $238 per wheel, and around 11 lbs each.

You can't go wrong with Kodiak, Jongblod, or some of the other full race wheels. It's too bad SSR's can't be made with a 4x130 bolt pattern. But hey, if you're going into prepared, there's nothing stopping you from a 5 lug conversion. Then all you need are a set of cookie cutters and you're golden. That'd be the way to go I think...

-Josh2
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(jhadler @ May 2 2006, 11:55 AM) *

All of the above are good. One place that hasn't been mantioned, is Spinwerkes. These wheels used to be sold under the name of Circle Racing, but they're solo now. They have two models, both are very good, and quite light. I suspect that you could get a 15x7" right around 10 lbs. When I was looking at 'em, I was looking at 15x8's, $238 per wheel, and around 11 lbs each.

You can't go wrong with Kodiak, Jongblod, or some of the other full race wheels. It's too bad SSR's can't be made with a 4x130 bolt pattern. But hey, if you're going into prepared, there's nothing stopping you from a 5 lug conversion. Then all you need are a set of cookie cutters and you're golden. That'd be the way to go I think...

-Josh2

Spinwerkes site not up yet. I remember the product from Circle racing site.

Who knows I am waffleing so bad on where to go with my car. Any direction is going to cost money. DP and SM-2 have similar PAX numbers. but have hideous weight restrictions. Adding more power is always good SM-2 and XP allow Forced induction and are a free for-all with brakes wheels etc. XP is by far the most liberal and is where I would like to place my car.
Fiberglass everything Horse power anyway you want and wheels with slicks just have to fit the car somehow. Xp seems to be a class for under achievers with big dreams. Maybe 5 car nationally and none of them close to the limit of the rules.
turboman808
join the dark side and get some spoon wheels biggrin.gif

For the money you can't beat rota. I have several sets.
jhadler
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ May 2 2006, 09:11 AM) *

Spinwerkes site not up yet. I remember the product from Circle racing site.

Who knows I am waffleing so bad on where to go with my car. Any direction is going to cost money. DP and SM-2 have similar PAX numbers. but have hideous weight restrictions. Adding more power is always good SM-2 and XP allow Forced induction and are a free for-all with brakes wheels etc. XP is by far the most liberal and is where I would like to place my car.
Fiberglass everything Horse power anyway you want and wheels with slicks just have to fit the car somehow. Xp seems to be a class for under achievers with big dreams. Maybe 5 car nationally and none of them close to the limit of the rules.

Spinwerkes wheels are available through RacerPartsWholesale Just go to the complete index and look up spinwerkes wheels.

As for SM-2 and XP? They are cubic dollar classes. That no one has built a full-tilt car yet is only a matter of time. Look at what happened to SM. Exactly what I expected. Scary expensive, and scary fast. Personally I don't see a reason for XP, it's just a slightly more restrictive E-Modified with more weight. I think a 914 in DP or FP would be a good car. Granted, a 4-banger in FP is a tough climb. But either prepared class will likely be alot cheaper than SM2 or XP if you're going for the gold.

-Josh2
charlesmac
Joe, I know where(as far as i know he still has them) a set of 14x7 panasports are. I know you already have 15 inch slicks though. I can check this week to see if they're still available.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(charlesmac @ May 2 2006, 12:48 PM) *

Joe, I know where(as far as i know he still has them) a set of 14x7 panasports are. I know you already have 15 inch slicks though. I can check this week to see if they're still available.

Hmm now I need to research what kinda slicks are available in 14"

Howz that Motor going Charles? You ready for Nationals in Topeka? Sept. 26th to the 29th.. driving.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(turboman808 @ May 2 2006, 10:19 AM) *

join the dark side and get some spoon wheels biggrin.gif

For the money you can't beat rota. I have several sets.

when you find them in a 4x130 bolt pattern, let us know smile.gif

one advantage the hondas/miatas/gti's have with thier 4x100 bolt pattern is that a 15x7 rim can be made lighter than one for a 15x7 with a 4x130 bolt pattern (if comparing same offset as well)...and the studs are 12mm instead of 14mm for even more weight savings....

That's a decent price for the base spinwerkes rims....for 14" rims is there a penelty or anything stating you must run a certain aspect ratio?? at least in our region PCA, you can run a 14" rim, but the tire must be a 60 series (or used to, I cannot find anything with the new rules and point system)

Joe Ricard
D prepared is 7" wide. or face weight penalty
XP and SM-2 are anything that fits. Just add Horsepower.

Maybe Jake will cut me a deal on that 2270 when he gets done driving it across the country.
J P Stein
If I'm close to the weight shown on the bathroom scale corner balance thingy, we're
pretty badly under weight for FP (then again, it may be kighter than they show). I may just go to E mod. I can drop another 150 lbs & not feel like a cheatin' dog breath noaccount......no way I'm gonna add 200 lbs of ballast to the thing.

The PCA doen't seem to have a minimum weight for the Mod classes.
Joe Ricard
You think alot like me.
or is it i think like you. Whatever Lighter is faster. Wo knows I might end up kicking this AX thing to the side once I run the lapping day next week.

Future track whore in my future I see.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.