Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help Board Email Notification System
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porsche Rescue
Maybe this has been addressed previously and I missed it.

Since the new system came up I get an email notice every time a post is made to a subscribed thread. In the old days I only received one notice regardless of how many posts (unitil I viewed the thread).
I have looked at the options in "My Controls" and don't see anything I can do to change things. Is this a change we must all live with or is there something I am missing?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ May 2 2006, 08:07 AM) *

Maybe this has been addressed previously and I missed it.

yes. you missed it. *all* previous subscriptions had to be deleted after the switch to the new BBS version.

you'll have to subscribe again ...
bye1.gif Andy
Porsche Rescue
Thanks Andy, but I'm lost. Go to "My Controls" and do what next?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ May 2 2006, 09:29 AM) *

I'm lost

i can see that ... biggrin.gif

for a whole forum, use the "Forum Options" menu, for threads, use the "Options" menu ...
givemebeer.gif Andy
Porsche Rescue
More please Andy. Still lost. Once I get to "My Controls" can you tell me what to click and in what order to get back to where I only get the first notice of a post to a subscribed thread? Please...........
McMark
Top right hand corner of this page. wink.gif
Gint
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ May 2 2006, 02:19 PM) *

More please Andy. Still lost. Once I get to "My Controls" can you tell me what to click and in what order to get back to where I only get the first notice of a post to a subscribed thread? Please...........

First of all, I don't know if you can get the same type of notification you used to with the old software. The new software may not work notifications the same way. I don't really use them, so I don't know. Why don't you (or anyone else that is still confused about this) go try a few of these options and tell us how they work. That would actually be a big help right about now.

Here are some screen shots to get you there.
Gint
Click the "My Controls" link at the top of every page.
Gint
On the left side of the controls page, select either topic subscriptions or forum subscriptions. In your case Jim, try topic.
Gint
  1. Select one or more (or all) of the threads you want to apply the change to. Right red arrow.
  2. Use the drop down box to list the options. Center red arrow
  3. Select one of the options to apply to all of the previously selected threads. I can't tell you exactly what each of the options do. Try them and let everyone know. Left red arrow.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ May 2 2006, 01:19 PM) *

if you lost all your subscriptions, then "My Controls" is the *wrong* place to look ...

if you want to add a new subscription, go to the forum or thread in question and then use my instructions above.

"My Controls" is only to manage *existing* subscriptions, so, if you lost all yours, there won't be any under "My Controls".

smile.gif Andy

PS: did i mention that "My Controls" is the wrong place if you try to add a *new* subscription?
Gint
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 2 2006, 04:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ May 2 2006, 01:19 PM) *

if you lost all your subscriptions, then "My Controls" is the *wrong* place to look ...

if you want to add a new subscription, go to the forum or thread in question and then use my instructions above.

"My Controls" is only to manage *existing* subscriptions, so, if you lost all yours, there won't be any under "My Controls".

smile.gif Andy

PS: did i mention that "My Controls" is the wrong place if you try to add a *new* subscription?

You are of course technically correct Andyman, but I think you're on the wrong track there ...

I removed all of the forum subscriptions (only forum, not topic [key point]) a couple of weeks back. Jim is referring to topic subscriptions. And he has a boatload. What he wants is for the board to notifiy him via email only one time for each thread regardless of how many replies the thread receives. Just like the old software did. I don't know if it's possible at all, but I'm trying to point im to the proper location to try out the various options.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gint @ May 2 2006, 04:20 PM) *

You are of course technically correct Andyman, but I think you're on the wrong track there ...

mhmmmmm, i swear his posts was different the first time around ...
biggrin.gif Andy
Gint
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 2 2006, 05:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Gint @ May 2 2006, 04:20 PM) *

mhmmmmm, i swear his posts was different the first time around ...
biggrin.gif Andy

av-943.gif

drunk.gif

blink.gif

Porsche Rescue
Thanks Mike. I am now in deeper shit than before! Whatever I did (and it was in "my controls") I now have an email every time someone posts a new topic as well as an email everytime someone responds to a topic I have posted or replied to. I was away from the computer for 2 hours and now have 27 emails from the non-club!
I will study Gints advice and also try to subscribe as Andy suggests.
Gint
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ May 2 2006, 06:24 PM) *

Thanks Mike. I am now in deeper shit than before! Whatever I did (and it was in "my controls") I now have an email every time someone posts a new topic as well as an email everytime someone responds to a topic I have posted or replied to. I was away from the computer for 2 hours and now have 27 emails from the non-club!
I will study Gints advice and also try to subscribe as Andy suggests.

It sounds like you are now subscribed to one of the forums. I tried that feature in testing. Waaaayy to much email. I get enough already.

Read the emails and see which forum they're from. Then use the links and images I showed you and check on your forum subscriptions. Previously I focused on topic subscriptions for you. Now you also need to look at forum subscriptions.

Clear as mud? I'm pretty sure you'll get a handle on it. The new board software has a lot of features that the old software did not. But many of those features there that are there and appear to be the same as the old aren't necessarily.
Porsche Rescue
I'm thinking that Mike is right and my problem cannot be solved.

In the old days, if I posted to a thread or started a topic, I received an email when the first person responded after me. I would get no more mail on that thread, even if 6 more people responded, until I checked the thread again.
Now I get separate notices of all 7 replies. That is what I'm trying to change, with no success.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ May 2 2006, 06:31 PM) *

That is what I'm trying to change, with no success.

how about a daily digest? that would work ...
smile.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.