Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To paint or not to paint inside fenders?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
rickyhgarcia
What is correct inside the fenders?

Paint with the same color of the car?

I have seen so many 914´s with black material in the fenders.

Mine actually has the black material...however, I am considering removing the black material and repainting the wheel wells the color of the car...Light Ivory.

If painted...is there a material to spray over the paint to protect it against rock and/or debriss picked up by the tires?
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(rickyhgarcia @ May 2 2006, 11:40 AM) *

Mine actually has the black material...however, I am considering removing the black material and repainting the wheel wells the color of the car...Light Ivory.

If painted...is there a material to spray over the paint to protect it against rock and/or debriss picked up by the tires?

They were painted with the body from the factory.

For this forum... you don't want to put anything under it wink.gif

However! If you wanted some protection and not have it sanctioned by the CW body, you may be able to take a lead from the valance thread and spray it with the Wurth 'Shutz' first and then paint it.

I know of one tub that was finished that way and it came out looking great.
rickyhgarcia
Eric,

I had a feeling that painting the wheel wells was correct.

In another thread on this forum, however, somebody mentioned a rustproofing dealer option east of the Mississipi. Never heard of this before. Any idea what is it?

Anyway, my car shouldn´t have the black fenders since it was a California car.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 2 2006, 10:17 AM) *

QUOTE(rickyhgarcia @ May 2 2006, 11:40 AM) *

They were painted with the body from the factory.

For this forum... you don't want to put anything under it wink.gif

However! If you wanted some protection and not have it sanctioned by the CW body, you may be able to take a lead from the valance thread and spray it with the Wurth 'Shutz' first and then paint it.

I know of one tub that was finished that way and it came out looking great.

I've seen several painted body color over the "shutz" & they look great until, just like paint-only, they start picking up stone chips in the paint - then the black of the shutz starts showing. Works well on a black car. Not OEM, but..........
Eric_Shea
Anyway, my car shouldn´t have the black fenders since it was a California car

Rust proofing was a dealer option in all states, or at least all dealers would offer such a feature. Companies like Ziebart were the craze back then. In fact, I think it's rare 'not' to see rustproofing sprayed in the wheel wells.

My CA tub has it as well. Saturn yellow showing through the flakes.
rickyhgarcia
Yeap...same here...white showing through the flakes.

Rustproofing being a dealer option...is it still not approved by the CW body?
AvalonFal
My '74 originally from Florida also the rustproofing (or what's left of it) with the red body paint showing through.
914runnow
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 2 2006, 10:51 AM) *

Rust proofing was a dealer option in all states, or at least all dealers would offer such a feature. Companies like Ziebart were the craze back then. In fact, I think it's rare 'not' to see rustproofing sprayed in the wheel wells.

Hey Eric and All.....The 914's here in Gint Town (Colorado) are typically no undercoating...Which was usually a dealer desire for an extra sale..
Why it was not done here??????I have had 6 local cars myself and have seen another 5 or so the same way (no undercoating)....Most were undercoated before the dealer took possesion. Same as the A/C units, were done at the P.O.E. sites.....
Now as a local schooled judge..We really on a local scale could care less about undercoating on 912'-914's etc...till yah get to the 356's..All other models no biggie..IF you are going for a full concour..It just needs to be >clean<...
BUT it can be a tie breaker,if yours has it and the other car does not...
The factory had no intention ever to apply it...
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(914runnow @ May 2 2006, 02:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 2 2006, 10:51 AM) *

Hey Eric and All.....The 914's here in Gint Town (Colorado) are typically no undercoating...Which was usually a dealer desire for an extra sale..
Why it was not done here??????I have had 6 local cars myself and have seen another 5 or so the same way (no undercoating)....Most were undercoated before the dealer took possesion. Same as the A/C units, were done at the P.O.E. sites.....
Now as a local schooled judge..We really on a local scale could care less about undercoating on 912'-914's etc...till yah get to the 356's..All other models no biggie..IF you are going for a full concour..It just needs to be >clean<...
BUT it can be a tie breaker,if yours has it and the other car does not...
The factory had no intention ever to apply it...

This is not what I wanted to hear. I seem to recall (perhaps wishful thinking) seeing wheel wells with what appeared to be textured paint. Yes? (Please say yes <grin>)
Brew
You CW types have got to understand! (Dont worry, I'm a CW type too, just with a different car).

You CAN NOT drive a "Show Car" on the street!

If you're worried about undercoat protecting your paint from chips from normal driving, you're really not that worried about having a "show car".

JMHO!
Eric_Shea
I seem to recall (perhaps wishful thinking) seeing wheel wells with what appeared to be textured paint. Yes? (Please say yes <grin>)

Get out the scraper w00t.gif
914xr75
I know it's over a decade since the last post on this thread, but I thought I'd share this picture of my Dad's light ivory California 914. It was only a few months old and did not have the undercoating in the wheel wells.Click to view attachment
Johny Blackstain
My 74 was undercoated at the dealer- SOP back in 1974 Virginia. It's white underneath the undercoating.
HeinrichKlee
body color only.
oakpark
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 5 2018, 09:46 AM) *

My 74 was undercoated at the dealer- SOP back in 1974 Virginia. It's white underneath the undercoating.

Mine has the undercoating, and it's pretty messy in its installation. I've concoured my car for a long time, both in my PCA region and nationally at the parade, but never where originality was the defining factor. Even so, since it was installed at the dealership, as a judge I would not deduct for it being there. The factor would be its condition and cleanliness.
ndfrigi
my current 74 Bahia Red project.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
orthobiz
I seem to remember Steve Gaglione telling me the tale of laying on his back under the car and meticulously removing undercoating on his Sahara Beige 2.0. Wondering if 40 some odd years later if it comes off more easily...perhaps exposing pristine paint underneath.

Paul

QUOTE(oakpark @ Jan 5 2019, 04:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 5 2018, 09:46 AM) *

Mine has the undercoating, and it's pretty messy in its installation. I've concoured my car for a long time, both in my PCA region and nationally at the parade, but never where originality was the defining factor. Even so, since it was installed at the dealership, as a judge I would not deduct for it being there. The factor would be its condition and cleanliness.
IronHillRestorations
Restoration trends have changed. For years it was very acceptable to paint the wheel wells black.

The current car I'm working on is going to be white, which is a plus, as I'm using white epoxy primer, white seam sealer, and white Gravitex, paint chips be dammed!
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 2 2006, 02:51 PM) *

<!-- quoteo --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!-- quotec -->Anyway, my car shouldn´t have the black fenders since it was a California car<!-- QuoteEnd --></div><!-- QuoteEEnd -->

I purchased my 914 new. The dealership tried real hard to sell me rustproofing but I held firm. Glad I did.
bbrock
Interesting to read through this thread and see how things have evolved. My car had gobs of black dealer-installed undercoating but during my resto, I opted for the modern version of paint over schutz which was to use body color tinted bed liner. Maybe not CW, but I like the compromise.

IPB Image
davep
I believe one factory option, M640, was PVC undercoating, and then body color on top of that. That has the appearance of textured paint
SirAndy
QUOTE(davep @ Mar 24 2019, 07:38 PM) *

I believe one factory option, M640, was PVC undercoating, and then body color on top of that. That has the appearance of textured paint

agree.gif

My '70 914/4 chassis has had that treatment ...
idea.gif
doug_b_928
agree.gif My 73 914/4 was sprayed with beige stone guard (over bare metal) in the wheel wells (as well as on the entire underside and below the engine shelf) and then painted (Ravenna green). I'm restoring the car and it was never repainted in its original color so it must have come from the factory that way.
doug_b_928
Per my email above, I snapped this pic of the front right wheel well. I've (painstakingly) scraped off the original stone guard with a putty knife and heat gun. The car was only Ravenna green once so the wheel wells were never repainted. As you can see, the factory sprayed the stone guard over what appears to to me to be bare metal and then sprayed the color over the stone guard. Unfortunately Wurth Canada only sells the stoneguard in white or black. I bought two containers of black for when the time comes (I will prime and paint over it), but might order white instead to be closer to the beige and so chipped paint is less noticeable.

Click to view attachment
bbrock
@doug_b_928 nice detective work. Do you know if the white Wurth paint can be tinted? Might be able to have your local paint shop add color confused24.gif
doug_b_928
Actually, it's coming back to me now....at least in Canada the paintable rubberized undercoating is only available in black sad.gif
Woodside914
I think this proves the point of factory painted wheel wells beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.