Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When did the headlight bezels go from
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Aaron Cox
IIRC it was early 73?
Pat Garvey
unsure.gif
Don't think so. Think they went to black surrounds in'74, when the retaining ring for the headlights changed from chrome to black.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 2 2006, 10:34 AM) *

unsure.gif
Don't think so. Think they went to black surrounds in'74, when the retaining ring for the headlights changed from chrome to black.

huh.gif

Sorry, didn't read the question fully - thought you meant the surrounds. Nevertheless, the retaining rings (bezels) changed to black in '74.
Aaron Cox
surrounds went from black to white in 74 apparently.....

that is what i was asking....
Eric_Shea
Part of being a CW, young Weedhopper, is getting the nomenclature of the part in question correct. Consider this edification your first. Even if it is clear to most, you will get the answer that is correct to your terminology, proper or improper biggrin.gif
JeffBowlsby
The early surrounds were white through 73, with chrome bezels. In 74 the surrounds went to black, with black bezels.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 2 2006, 12:54 PM) *

The early surrounds were white through 73, with chrome bezels. In 74 the surrounds went to black, with black bezels.

rocking nana.gif

Yeah, what Jeff said.......
914runnow
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 2 2006, 12:54 PM) *

Hi Jeff and All...
Good info ..BUT ifyaharewunderin...If you concour your car,and you had white....
And you bought black.....The white are nla for eon's now...
Sooooo the black are the appvd replacement from Porsche....Soooooo no
points reduction............JAT.....
John
In 74 the surrounds went to black, with black bezels.

Is that all 74 cars?

Both my dad's (original owner 74 914 2.0) and my 74 have black surrounds and chrome bezels.

4742904604 (dads)
4742916845 (mine)
914runnow
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ May 2 2006, 11:43 PM) *

In 74 the surrounds went to black, with black bezels.

Is that all 74 cars?

Both my dad's (original owner 74 914 2.0) and my 74 have black surrounds and chrome bezels.

4742904604 (dads)
4742916845 (mine)

Well I agree..The 'one' 74 I dismantled had the chrome surrounds,
with black plasitic shrouds...All of 75 n 76 models were blk on blk...
BUT there could have been a 'mix' of sorts during production?????
74 also saw the 'carbon canister' during its production on later models,
go from front to rear..
WHATAHTHEXPERTSAY??? confused24.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(914runnow @ May 5 2006, 05:41 PM) *

WHATAHTHEXPERTSAY??? confused24.gif

not that I call myself an expert, but I know how to change the plastic surroundings within 2 minutes rolleyes.gif

wavey.gif
914rrr
My understanding is that the change to black technically was made in 9/73 or later, which I guess is a 'model year' '74.
914werke
Dave Im not so sure the above is correct but I more interested int LE details Black surrounds and blk bezzels correct?
wertygrog
my car had one of each, so i think they made the swap from white to black surrounds right about VIN# 4742903369. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif j/k

Brent
GWN7
What colour would you call this?

914werke
thats white bruce. smile.gif
redshift
You guys are so stupid!

(not all of you, just Aaron really)

laugh.gif

LMAO Brent!

M
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(914rrr @ May 9 2006, 10:09 PM) *

My understanding is that the change to black technically was made in 9/73 or later, which I guess is a 'model year' '74.

Our teener was made in Aug. of 1973, as a 74 model....serial # 00089. It has the black headlight surrounds, and I truly believe, always did. But. it does have the earlier washer nozzles, and also the earlier looking bezels on the gauges.

Whatever the parts boy brought in from the storeroom, till all the parts were exhausted, probably got put on the cars on build day.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Feb 26 2007, 12:06 AM) *

QUOTE(914rrr @ May 9 2006, 10:09 PM) *

Our teener was made in Aug. of 1973, as a 74 model....serial # 00089. It has the black headlight surrounds, and I truly believe, always did. But. it does have the earlier washer nozzles, and also the earlier looking bezels on the gauges.

Whatever the parts boy brought in from the storeroom, till all the parts were exhausted, probably got put on the cars on build day.

Seems to be a common thread. Whatever was there, THAT day, got used THAT day.

I'd loved to have been a fly on the wall at Karmann during this period.

I can just envision this....(in English) "Hey Rolf, looka what I found - one of those old white headlight surrounds. Let's mix 'em up on the next car down the line - you do white & I'll do black". "Let's really screw with thier minds 30 years down the road. You know, when we're cruizin for chicks in Aruba""
Eric_Shea
What colour would you call this?

Dirty.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.