Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Window Motor Problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dralf
My darling fiancée told me her electric window no longer works. I then spent four hours on Sunday taking the passenger door cover off and fixing it. I was proud of myself for I only broke one of the clamps/buttons that hold all the plastic in place. The brushes and communtator were dirty and worn. I used lots of contact cleaner and it worked over and over again as I tested it. In fact I had tested it so many time that the van would not start for I had run the battery down so low.

I was a hero Sunday evening with may hugs and kisses since those types of repairs and motor replacements run well over $300. There was even talk of “Thank You “sex for the super mechanic that she though I am.

Well that was Sunday night. Monday I come home from work and I get a smug look and a comment that the window is not working again and there is talk of rain. I take the door apart in 15 minutes this time and see that the brushes are totally shot. I call Radio Shack, they have zip for brushes. I call ACE and they have some. I go and buy some that look to be the correct size but when I start to install them I get worried. The original brushes have a BIG wire coming out of them. The ACE ones have a thin wire that no way could hold the current that this motor draws. I use my electric drill to run the window up just as the rain starts.

I spent the evening on the Internet looking for brushes for this DENSO motor, but no luck.

So my OT question to the group is: Where can I find brushes for a window motor?

This is a Dodge Grand Caravan 2002 and it is the passenger side. I do not want to replace the motor for that may require months of cutting and welding to get the cable mechanism and the tracks etc out of the door. Perhaps I should just buy a new complete door if all else fails.
brant
used motor from a junkyard

brant
JerryP
I don't know much about this but Denso makes electrical componants for lots of cars, import and domestic(my toyota truck for example). The motor or brushes might be the same for some other makes and models.
bd1308
FLAPS?

Got a NAPA nearby?

b
Qarl
I do not want to replace the motor for that may require months of cutting and welding to get the cable mechanism and the tracks etc out of the door. Perhaps I should just buy a new complete door if all else fails.

I doubt Dodge made the window motor so difficult to replace that it would require you cutting and welding the door. I am sure that broken window motors are not an uncommon issue.

As said before... junkyard.

Did you call your Dodge dealer? headbang.gif

Katmanken
OK Dralf,

Here's what ya do.....

Take the old brush and cut the fat wire out of it. Drill a bigger hole in the new brush for the fat wire. Push the fat wire into the hole and solder in place.....

That's what the VW factory did... pretty much but mebe not exactly like that.....

Ken
GeorgeRud
Check with your local NAPA parts store. I had to get a rebuilt motor for my son's old Volvo, and they had rebuilt units available with a guarantee and it wasn't too bad a price. The motor should be quite replaceable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.