Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: triad install question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stephen7
I bought a triad - sweet deal. But it mounts too close to the end of the exhaust to clear the rear of the car. Can I buy extensions or do I just start cutting up the back of the car. I need about 2 - 3 inches more clerance with the rear valance.

thanks

steve welder.gif
blitZ
What kind of headers are you attaching it to? Can you post a pic?
McMark
You shouldn't need to cut. Something is not right.
Allan
QUOTE(McMark @ May 2 2006, 02:20 PM) *

agree.gif I saw Aaron install his and didn't see a saws-all in his pile of tools...
Grimstead
QUOTE(Headrage @ May 2 2006, 02:21 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ May 2 2006, 02:20 PM) *

agree.gif I saw Aaron install his and didn't see a saws-all in his pile of tools...

I think Aaron kept the valance off, that what I plan to do with mine...
Mueller
Not enough info.......

muffler for heatexchanger??

dual outlet or single??

it is for a 2.0 correct, if heat exchangers??

stephen7
stand by for photos.....
Rouser
You may have to shim (with washers) your rear tranny mounts (I had to, due to the 911 Sport mounts) to lower the powertrain a bit for clearance.

Than you clone the notch on the valence panel for the right side (sabre saw will do).

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
with the 2 out the back you will need to notch the valance to put it on. that is if you indeed have early 2.0, type 4, heat exchangers.

k
Gint
agree.gif with all of the above.

I just got off of the phone with Dave at Triad. Whodathunkit?

Dave tells me he now has jigged up and can attach mild steel ends to even stainless 1.7 or 1.8 HE's so that you can mount one of his mufflers wth the older exchangers. But without that mod it won't fit on 1.7 or 1.8 heat exchangers. All things being equal though, it should fit behind the valance with no issue. Unless of course you have the dual outlet Triad in which case the valance will have to be modified for the right side exit as has already been pointed out.
rhodyguy
i hate the thought of taking my heat exchangers off and on to install a muffler setup. does anyone know if the 1.7/1.8 and the 2.0 used a common stainless outer skin?

k
stephen7
I love the club!

Her are the pics

I have a 2.0 type IV from a bus I am told. here are some pics

this is what came off of it and this is what I have to put on it

Thanks

steve
Aaron Cox
wrong HE's buddy. those are 1.7/1.8

triads ONLY FIT 2l heat exchangers.
Aaron Cox
drunk.gif
DanT
those are 1.7L heat exchangers and if the muffler you bought was for a 2.0L it wont fit properly. 2.0L heat exchangers come straight out. No kick up like the ones you have sad.gif

well I almost got it first Aaron smile.gif agree.gif
stephen7
a ha

so maybe I don't have a 2.0 bus motor after all...

Is it correct to assume the 1.7 heat exchangers don't fit on a 2.0 engine?

(nice work on the photo redux btw)

thx

DanT
Nope, not correct. 1.7 heat exchangers will fit a 2.0 so you could have either engine.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(stephen7 @ May 2 2006, 08:33 PM) *

a ha

so maybe I don't have a 2.0 bus motor after all...

Is it correct to assume the 1.7 heat exchangers don't fit on a 2.0 engine?

(nice work on the photo redux btw)

thx

all the heat exchangers will fit on a 1.7/8/2.0 motor.

they all fit the same...

the difference is ID, and the end where they kick up at the end (1.7/8) or stay straight (2.0)

the muffler hangers are diff.....

you could have a 2.0 with 1.7 HE's

Dan beat me this time.... agree.gif
DanT
gotcha! biggrin.gif
stephen7
awesome input gents

you just saved me cutting the whole back end out of the car.

so -

is it safe then to conclude that I need the straight heat exchangers in order to mount this unit?

I bought this thing without knowing too much about it - it is worth putting it on right? better sound, mild horse power improvement -

no?

thanks

Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ May 2 2006, 08:41 PM) *

gotcha! biggrin.gif

you won the battle little dude.... but you lost the war tongue.gif chairfall.gif
DanT
war?? did I miss something? blink.gif confused24.gif

And who says I am little?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ May 2 2006, 08:47 PM) *

war?? did I miss something? blink.gif confused24.gif

And who says I am little?

just a stupid quote from home alone....

lol. dan. "why cant we be friends, why cant we be friends" smile.gif drunk.gif
DanT
No problem....just dishing a little bit out, instead of taking it for a change biggrin.gif
stephen7
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ May 2 2006, 08:50 PM) *

No problem....just dishing a little bit out, instead of taking it for a change biggrin.gif

So - waduyouthink? Just find some heat exchangers that are straight? I don't have any heat in this car by the way. Does that matter?

It is strictly an autocrosser

merci bien

steve
DanT
either you find a set of 2.0L SSIs or stock heat exchangers. Or you get yourself a muffler that works with 1.7L heat exchangers. Or get rid of it all and get some headers. What you have heat exchanger wise will not work with your Triad.
stephen7
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ May 2 2006, 09:05 PM) *

either you find a set of 2.0L SSIs or stock heat exchangers. Or you get yourself a muffler that works with 1.7L heat exchangers. Or get rid of it all and get some headers. What you have heat exchanger wise will not work with your Triad.

Thanks guys - you saved me a lot of agony
Gint
QUOTE(stephen7 @ May 2 2006, 10:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ May 2 2006, 08:50 PM) *

So - waduyouthink? Just find some heat exchangers that are straight? I don't have any heat in this car by the way. Does that matter?

It is strictly an autocrosser

merci bien

steve

I'd buy a header if I didn't want heat. You could keep those HE's and have Dave at Triad modify them if you ever want to go back to heat.
swood
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 2 2006, 08:24 PM) *

drunk.gif

Dude, you drew dual dongs on that ass end...wassup widat??
bootyshake.gif
jasons
QUOTE(stephen7 @ May 2 2006, 09:09 PM) *

Thanks guys - you saved me a lot of agony

You should just unload that POS Triad... I would be happy to take it off your hands and make sure it is disposed of properly on the ass end of my car.

Seriously if you decide to back out of it lemme know, I want one.
stephen7
maybe - what is it worth to you? I heard I could get a used header for around $250. How do the triads sound? I am driving without any muffler right now and it sounds like I am driving a cessna 172 with the pitch turned all the way up and throttle all the way open. (Sounds tough) steve
type47
i think you should verify that you have a bus engine, not that it makes a huge amount of difference with your exhaust situation. for future work and parts purchase, you would want to know. my bet is you have a 1.7L 914, not "bus" but the person who told you this may just have been referring to the motor as the same engine as is in the bus, since it "basically" is the same.
jasons
QUOTE(stephen7 @ May 3 2006, 01:55 AM) *

maybe - what is it worth to you? I heard I could get a used header for around $250. How do the triads sound? I am driving without any muffler right now and it sounds like I am driving a cessna 172 with the pitch turned all the way up and throttle all the way open. (Sounds tough) steve

Whats the story on it? Condition etc....

I'll open an offer at $175
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.