Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick diagnosis
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
evan
Help, wife thinks I should get rid of my 73' 914. Drove around the nighborhood and town on sunday stopping several places. On way home was at a stop light and when the light turned green the car was dead. Tried starting and the engine starter & battery seem fine but car will not turn over & run. Any quick suggestions? Also, anyone know of a good VW mechanic in the Gaithersburg, Maryland or surrounding areas?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

evan
ekatz25941@aol.com
Tobra
Fuel pump working(you should hear it) Is it making a spark? Is it stock or modified?
evan
QUOTE(Tobra @ May 2 2006, 05:42 PM) *

Fuel pump working(you should hear it) Is it making a spark? Is it stock or modified?

Not sure if I have ever really heard the fuel pump. Hear clicking when I turn the ignition on. The car is fairly stock. 1.8 bored to 2.0 with dual carbs. I was driving it around and turned it off and on at some places. Then at a light, it did not go. Engine cranks but does not fire over. What is Vapor lock?

So.Cal.914
[quote name='evan' date='May 2 2006, 06:54 PM' post='673687']
[quote name='Tobra' post='673671' date='May 2 2006, 05:42 PM']
. What is Vapor lock?
[/quote]

It's when your fuel line gets so hot that the fuel in the line becomes a vapor

and your pump will not pump a vapor. Vapor lock. smoke.gif

Check your pump. And was it running hot?
Rand
If it's not turning over then you should be looking at the starter circuit. Could be a bad ground, cracked ignition switch, dirty battery terminal connections, etc.
Van914
If it is not turning over it could be heat soak of the starter. When it cools down ( few hours) it will be fine. Two ways I know to fix it is relay in the starter circurt or what I have now a new mini starter. No more problems.
smash.gif
Van914
Hybrid_Teener
hmm, your car stayed red, eh? I have that problem all the time...
bd1308
On mine, it was a combo of D-Jet problems, vapor lock and the wrong parts for the wrong car. (type 3 MPS in a 2.0L 914)

b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.