Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CWs on RAMPAGE
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimtab
OK, I was just reading my April Panorama...delivered late as always, and In the Tech Q&A section was a letter that sums up just about everything I DON'T like about Porsche owners....the letter is from a person who is incensed that the dealer, while remounting a front wheel chipped the paint on his brake caliper. He goes on to say the chip is 1/2"long and 1/4" wide and is concerned that the caliper is "repaired properly"....UN Fucking believeable....this guy must be the biggest CW in the known world. And then, a guy named Paterek(in answer to his question) gives several paint options and finishes by saying, "Perhaps a new caliper is the only way to make it new again." Is this just me? Do I just care too LITTLE? I would have advised the guy to touch it up and take a big deep breath....jesus.... confused24.gif
bd1308
typical new-era Porsche owner.

I overheard some guy bitching and moaning about something about tire types or something....this was at the Porsch dealership.

b
Brando
I hope that guy never changes his OEM brake fluid too, that stuff will eat through the caliper paint! Oh Noes!!!! ohmy.gif
Brian Mifsud
For HUGE laughs.. go to a Porsche Car Show... take a snotty nosed 3 year old and feed him/her a great big chocolate bar or chocolate ice-cream.. then cut them loose on the upholstery.....

Get's them every time...
73jef74
What does CW stand for?
Qarl
QUOTE(73jef74 @ May 2 2006, 09:35 PM) *

What does CW stand for?

CW is an abbreviation of the Latin.... Concursus Weenus

or Concours Weenie in modern day English.

Basically guys that spent all their time at car shows with their perfect car and talking down to anyone that dares bastardize a Porsche with anything than original equipment, options, materials, fluids, tires, lightbulbs, etc. They are often seen dusting their A/C vents with Q-tips. (Basically everything 914club is NOT)
blitZ
I think most people buying the traditional sports cars are just wearing them like jewelry. They certainly aren't enthusiest.

Can you imagine getting grease on the steering wheel, gasp... ohmy.gif
URY914
I read that too. Whata dickwad.

Just go buy another caliper for $1200 and have another dealer install it. And in your best Charles Nelson Riley voice throw you pink boa over your shoulder and say " I am never shopping here AGAIN!!!" And prance out... alfred.gif

P
So.Cal.914
There is an old joke about Porsche owners, I took offense to at first. But after meeting a few owners that this joke is aimed at, I told the joke myself.

Whats the difference between a porsche and a porcupine?

The Porsche, the pricks are on the inside.. laugh.gif

Maybe you had to be there. smoke.gif
Joe Bob
The NEW play on that joke is.....

What's the diff between an air cooled Porsche and a Porcupine....

Nothing..they are BOTH endangered....
BMartin914
Someone who is so overly concerned about something that minor, needs something to happen in their life that puts things into perspective. What a little BITCH!
Lou W
QUOTE((*)(*) @ May 2 2006, 06:57 PM) *

The NEW play on that joke is.....

What's the diff between an air cooled Porsche and a Porcupine....

Nothing..they are BOTH endangered....

Them cows sure do look happy. tooth.gif
jimtab
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 2 2006, 06:55 PM) *

There is an old joke about Porsche owners, I took offense to at first. But after meeting a few owners that this joke is aimed at, I told the joke myself.

Actually, the first time I heard the joke was in 1967 at Laguna Seca, and it was a Mercedes joke.... biggrin.gif
GWN7
Imagine what he'd do if he got WD40 on the paint.
Allan
A buddy of mine was the Porsche sales and leasing manager at the local dealership.

He has had people, ummm, let's say, NFL (sorry i don't want to be sued) players buy cars sight un-seen from the factory.

They see the car, pay for the car (In cash of course, because they can't find a AWD turbo close by) and drive it home. After 3 months they call demanding a av-943.gif "FULL" refund because they found a paint flaw on the "FENDER WELL"!!!

Those guy's are true "PKLSNFRS"!!!!!

Leo????
Howard
I'm still reminded of the guy at Ventura autofest 2 years ago putting on latex gloves to put his speedster back in the car carrier. Just before the train hit it beer.gif
flesburg
Hello all,

Several months ago in replying to a ? about joining the PCA..

I said that there are two kinds of people in the club.

Those that like the "black tie" dinners, and take their own mechanics to de events, and complain that they are not faster that that "crappy little 914", and at the same time will not take the time to learn how to drive their car. Just because it is faster, they should be faster.

And then there are the "wrenchers" who basically buy used cars and do their own work. The fellow "wrenchers" make the club worth while, even tho sometimes we are in the minority.

The first category are the phds and the medics and the lawyers who mispronunce the name "pors-cha" and call it something closer to "porch".

Odds are the boxter has an automatic and a navigation system in it.
GeorgeRud
I've been a PCA member for over 30 years now, and it seems that some of the CWs have gotten more out of control. I remember a concours school that Chicago Region had about 25 years ago, when one of the national judges told us that one of the first things she would check is reaching up under the dash to the top of the radio to look for dust or other dirt (back in the days when you actually could reach such an area) to see which cars were seriously prepared vs the posers.

I appreciate that people love to keep their cars clean, but they were built to be driven and enjoyed. My car is almost always top down, clean, but far from concours.
Allan
QUOTE(flesburg @ May 2 2006, 07:08 PM) *

The first category are the phds and the medics and the lawyers who mispronunce the name "pors-cha" and call it something closer to "porch".

Odds are the boxter has an automatic and a navigation system in it.

It's pronounced "TEENER"!!!!!!

Let those dicks know that..... biggrin.gif
Elliot_Cannon
Matt,
If you spend 100K on a new car and get so upset about a scratch on a brake caliper, then maybe you can't really afford the car in the first place. If it bothered him that much then just get a new caliper and be done with it and stop whiniing.

Cheers, Elliot
Elliot_Cannon
Hey! What happened to Matt Rs post?
LvSteveH
I can’t believe how insensitive you all are. This poor guy is probably losing sleep, tossing and turning over his scratched caliper. It probably make him sick to drive the car knowing that it has been defaced, and without so much as an apology.

Maybe we should all try to be more understanding of what one another enjoy about their Porsches. The CW’s (that’s an offensive term in itself) probably think people who drive their cars hard and race or autocross them on the weekend are unrefined brutes.

My suggestion is that we all play nice together, then, when the CW sells his car, we buy it, and drive the piss out of it. You might even go so far as to send them pictures of the car after a nice off track excursion.

poke.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(jimtab @ May 2 2006, 07:06 PM) *

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 2 2006, 06:55 PM) *

Actually, the first time I heard the joke was in 1967 at Laguna Seca, and it was a Mercedes joke.... biggrin.gif

A similar memory for me, only it was a police car joke. The Cap'n
jonwatts
I don't know, if a porsche dealer scratched one of my big reds and didn't bother to touch it up I'd be a little miffed myself. Not to the point of demanding a new caliper but I'd say it's a sign of a bush-league service department. Don't know, maybe it was one of those Porsche / Kia dealerships wink.gif
Bigbohr
I know a guy that bought himself a 993 about a year ago. I think he's been dreaming of buying a 911 since he was born. First it took him 3 years to find the "right" vehicle. That's still acceptable - I got to admit that he's got a verrry nice 993. However, I don't think he's been much above 4,000 rpm since he had the car. What a waste man.
And yes, he goes to the local PCA "concours d'elegance" ...
Mueller
QUOTE(jonwatts @ May 3 2006, 08:15 AM) *

I don't know, if a porsche dealer scratched one of my big reds and didn't bother to touch it up I'd be a little miffed myself. Not to the point of demanding a new caliper but I'd say it's a sign of a bush-league service department. Don't know, maybe it was one of those Porsche / Kia dealerships wink.gif

agree.gif

It does not matter what brand car it is, many new cars even Volvos have nice big painted aluminum calipers....they serve a cosmetic purpose as well as a functional purpose, I too would be miffed if on a nice painted caliper the dealer f'd it up due to carelessness.

How many of the people here dissing this 911 owner have stock steel calipers with rims that pretty much cover up the caliper?? Easy for you make fun of the guy 'cause you don't give a shit what your calipers look like (half are probley rusty or look like crap)

Even on my 914 which has stock calipers I'd be bent if someone f'd up the finish on them since I just paid to have them rebuilt and replated...
redshift
Weenies Gone Wild!

:x

M
Leo Imperial
I just wanted to point out that the pinky lifter that started this thread just had his car repainted by a top dollar "high end" shop in TJ. Not only that, but he also recently had his car polished with a claybar in Marin County.

Word on the street is that he cleans his car daily with a diaper mrs.K.gif
mudfoot76
I get the CW vibe from other PCAers occasionally. For some of them, I think their first "objection" is that my 914 is taking up space near their somethingorother. Then they object to the stripes, wing, stripped out interior, carbs, etc....IMO, they can take the attitude and KMA.gif

Then there are the others, who actually know how to drive their Pcars. They don't care that it is a 914, they are excited to see a "classic" (their word) on the road, being cared for but still out there. At the track, these are the people who want to look in the engine bay, lie on the ground and look underneath. They congratulate me that I still drive it (and drive the piss outof it on track), and when the track time is over for the day come over with an extra beer, and we hang out, talk cars, and beerchug.gif
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(Qarl @ May 2 2006, 05:41 PM) *

They are often seen dusting their A/C vents with Q-tips.

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
Kargeek
I too am a PCA member (for 25 years) and always get a kick out of some of the issues brought up by enthusiasts. That’s the nature of any car marquee hobbyist or obsessive owner. There is a mix of people associated with any car marquee or club that take up issues with originality, modifications, social events, performance and vehicle value that makes for an interesting issue. I read about here all the time. If I spent 100K on a nice car- Porsche or whatever and took it to the dealer I would expect that the dealer would care for the car and not have damage while servicing it. Recently, Sears auto during a nail repair scratched the sh** out of my M parallel BMW wheel and I discovered it when I picked up the car. Well, sears bought me a new 700.00 wheel. So, I too would expect that the Porsche dealer should replace this guy’s caliper. I can also admit that I have been a concour weenie – only because after I built my car I was encouraged to enter it in some PCA concour events and show off the quality of craftsmanship and have a little fun with the Porsche purists. It was interesting to see the reaction of 356 and 911 owners that judge their cars by the proper serial numbers and shape of the screwdriver handles in their tool kits get beat by overall points of a customized 914. I know plenty of concour weenies that drive the wheels off their car and spend countless hours to make it clean and perfect for these shows- I can appreciate that as well as all of the other objective issues of being a car hobby enthusiast. DH
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.