Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If this sparkplug could talk...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
Trying to diagnose my megasquirt issues. This plug wasn't firing consistently according to my timing light at idle. Last 5 minutes of runtime were just at idle, reved a little. Before that drove it around a bit.

What do you see? Ran very rich at some point..
SirAndy
always hard to tell from pics, but it actually looks pretty good. the browish part that is ...

i'd say mixture seems to be ok on that cylinder ...
wink.gif Andy
yarin
Hmm... yea i tend to agree. one cylinder isn't happy. i'll pull the others and see what they look like. then start with fresh plugs and figure out whats what.

I'm still getting full lean after revving from idle and unstable idle RPM & AFR.
Jake Raby
LEAN!

and it's been detonating... Look at the deposits on the porcelin on the top pic...
bondo
"ouch"? cool.gif
Joe Ricard
And maybe some better plug wires to keep all plugs firing
If you are using the screw on phenolic connectors you will have this problem forever.

MAGNACOR They really rock.
You can chase funny MS problems till the cows come home. But if ya can't consistantly spark..... Well it will just make your head hurt.

I also kinda like my Mallory Pro E coil 50,000 volts.... That'll keep it lit.
DON"T EVER PULL one of these wires with the motor running. It will knock you on your ass if it jumps.
yarin
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ May 2 2006, 10:06 PM) *

LEAN!

and it's been detonating... Look at the deposits on the porcelin on the top pic...

Yea i was afraid of that. I had a feeling those specs meant something sad.gif

I have Magnecore wires. After I changed this plug it was firing properly. Not sure why this plug wouldnt though...

I'm using those screw on ball adapters going to a standard spark plug wire connector. I'm good right?

Detonation is caused by a lean AFR. Lean leads to an increased combustion chamber temps causing detonation, right? Will timing that is too advanced cause detonation as well? I'll check it again, even though i just did and set it to 27degrees BTDC. Maybe my advance mechanism is stuck, i'll look into that too.
Joe Ricard
Sounds like you got this one about nailed down.
Yup Magnacore uses good connectors like the ones you have.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.