Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel return line
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pupwag
Is there any reason to retain the fuel return line on a carb conversion?I am trying to get this 74 running(going though the brakes now)and discovered all the dreaded "KAMAK" plugs from the PO/carb conversion.Can't stomach such and must clean up the mess.I was going to wait until later when the motor was pulled to fix the hell hole to install SS line(s) but feel I need to lift the tank and clean this up first.Can I go ahead and properly plug the tank return?
SirAndy
QUOTE(pupwag @ May 2 2006, 06:31 PM) *

Can I go ahead and properly plug the tank return?

i plugged the return line under the engine where it comes out of the firewall.
you never know if you're gonna need it again.

in my case, i needed it again 6 month later and i was very happy that i just had to unplug it and the little 1.7L was ready to go ...
smile.gif Andy
shoguneagle
When I converted my 914 to V-8 a lot of years ago, I plugged the return line since I was using carburation. I made sure it did not leak or give off fumes. I also did this to several Alfa Romeos that I converted to Carburation. Worked like a champ!!

As Sir Andy said "I needed it six months later when I returned to the mechanical fuel injection." No problems whatsoever.

Steve N Sandy Hurt
Hammy
I too have carbs but installed the second return, just in case for changes later on, like the above have said biggrin.gif
pupwag
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 2 2006, 07:27 PM) *

QUOTE(pupwag @ May 2 2006, 06:31 PM) *

Can I go ahead and properly plug the tank return?

i plugged the return line under the engine where it comes out of the firewall.
you never know if you're gonna need it again.

in my case, i needed it again 6 month later and i was very happy that i just had to unplug it and the little 1.7L was ready to go ...
smile.gif Andy
True enough.This one is plugged at the firewall and two more up in the access hole with the filter in front.Out with the tank then. Thanks for your replies all,this is a helpful non club thumb3d.gif
brant
I know I've said this 101 times...
but carb systems benefit from using a recirculatory system in the same way that fuel injection systems do.

you will have cooler fuel, less chance at vapor lock, and more hp is you run a recirculatory fuel system and use that extra line.....

sorry I sound like a broken record.
its just a tiny thing that can take your car that extra .1%
You will fine nearly all race cars do this.

brant
pupwag
QUOTE(brant @ May 3 2006, 06:45 AM) *

but carb systems benefit from using a recirculatory system in the same way that fuel injection systems do.

you will have cooler fuel, less chance at vapor lock, and more hp is you run a recirculatory fuel system and use that extra line.....

brant
That's what I was wondering and the gist of my question.Why they chopped and plugged the return when it would be easier to leave it be.Weird fuel filter under there too.Gotta fix it anyhow.Plus I discovered the guy storing it in his basement should have been charging rent for the mousey condo under the tank.There must have been another car around cause it was built out of cottony batting like something from some American iron.Good thing US mices don't like German food...now if they had enough sense to piss outside the nest.Seems mouse piss corrosion is not nearly so bad as battery acid fortunately.
Hammy
QUOTE(brant @ May 3 2006, 07:45 AM) *

brant

How would this be set up with carbs?
brant
There are about 3 different ways...
We had a thread where someone kindly drew out everysingle option as a diagram....

see my vintage thread
I run a recirculatory fuel system on my carbs with the regulator before the carbs

(other ways put the regulator after, and this is what we ran on my ex-4banger racecar)

brant
brant
Here you go

a lengthy discussion with all options spelled out
brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.