Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If you were gonna build a beck spyder what motor?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
Assume a 901 transaxle and disc brakes for a nice-sunny-day-midwest-summer-car.

Also, Assume I can spell INJECTION correctly! huh.gif

-REVISION-
Here is the pricing info Beck Spyder.

The 2165 motor has a 9mm larger crank. I know in general shorter cranks spin easier, any concerens here?
fuch toy
3.0 + with 200 or more HP.....but then again I'm a little crazy. boldblue.gif
drew365
I'd rather build a Beck 904 like Randy Beck is driving around now. With a 3.2, no stereo needed. cool.gif
rick 918-S
you could always have a Porsche V8...... or not.
SirAndy
i would also go for a bigger 6, 3.0l or more. if you go through all the hassel of building one up, you should have some ass-kick'n engine in there ...

Andy aktion035.gif
tryan
the motor would depend on what size tire you are going to put on. (i would go with a six). an air cooled motor will nuke unless you can seal up body to make the engine suck cool air. my.02 huh.gif . the 904 is equally cool.
Scott
If you don't want to throw off the handling with a large engine and still have quite a bit of power, Beck was making a 4 cylinder cut down from a 930 case. Custom crank and just a couple of other bits the rest was 930 stuff. Power would be at least 200hp (Beck). I also heard that some shop that was doing outlaw 356s was casting the same type of block. Unfortunately I don't have any info on that. I would like that info myself if anyone has it. Maybe it would be a little less expensive that finding a 930 case and having the machining done. Than and no weld down the case. I'll bet you could get 250 out of it and it wouldn't even breath that hard. Just think...power torque, the size will fit (in earlier Beck cars, you couldn't go with to large an engine for lack of room), You get a heavier duty oil pump so you can run a decent oil cooler. Also you it's dry sump and while if you ran the oil tank for the size required for a 6 cyl engine you'd have more that enough for the 4 cyl.

Just a thought.
Alfred
QUOTE(Zois @ Feb 22 2003, 07:14 PM)

MY EYES! MY EYES! OH GAAWD MY EYES! barf.gif
Dave Cawdrey
I'm w/ Alferd. The old lady is a 1st place winner, but Zois' avitar is a close 2nd barf.gif blink.gif
Mark Henry
A type 1 hipo engine can be built for the least cost. You can get 120hp+ for a carb engine, if you are going the PEFI route, with proper headwork, you can get 160hp on pump gas easy. Remember this is only a 250lbs. engine with the shroud, fan, alt., etc. Done right with the PEFI system $5500- $8000 depending on size, parts, etc. This is more than enough to smoke the tires on a lightweight car. Don’t know about the trans fitting.

A type 4 with PEFI will cost about 20% more and will give you about 10-20% more power. If you use nickies you may hit the 200hp mark (big maybe) but add $3000 extra to the price. The T4 has a flat torque curve if built right.

I don’t know enough about the 6 to tell you what it is worth/hp, the other guys can help you with that. The six will give you higher hp out of a stock engine, so it should last longer than the fours. All the six guys will brag that it sounds better, for what ever that’s worth. wink.gif
Brad Roberts
Money..Money.. Money. Build a 2180cc VW type 1 engine and call it done. Several of us Norcal guy's know a guy with a 3.6 in a Beck. He cant keep it strait. It has these GOD awful flair extensions so he could get some kind of tire under it. They are brutally fast with 180hp in them. I would use a 914/901 tranny with LSD and matched gear ratios. I LOVE the look and "drop jaw" reactions from people when they see a six in them... but build it cheap with a Type1. It is more than an acceptable practice.

Actually. Dont build one. Buy one already built and save the time/money.

B
Mike T
The biggest HiPo VW engine I ever experienced was an 1835 (92mmx69mm). Had it in a Meyers Manx street Buggy. Weighed 1400lbs. Had maybe 90hp. That was a fast car. I can't imagne 160hp in a similar weight car.

Mike T
Aaron Cox
zois! i'm blind! no onw wants to see you @$$ on a copy machine

lol
Dave_Darling
Whut B said. Type I; cheap power. (Relatively...) Usually a more narrow power band than the Type IV, so it even acts "cammed up" just like the real Spyder motors were.

--DD
fuch toy
acox914......dude, that is an Italian Mother-in-Laws cleavage.....I swear. blink.gif

Can't ya see the black dress?
Sammy
i'm thinking 350 chebbie, but that's just me happy11.gif
skline
I was thinking Suby. I saw a Beck at Pomona a few years ago with a Suby motor in it. It was quite impressive.
grantsfo
turbo subaru engine
wbergtho
Just drop in the 2165. It's more than enough HP to push a 1285 lb car. 0-60 APPROXIMATELY 5.0! I know Randy Beck quite well and have had plenty of rides in Beck 550's...believe me...they are fast enough with a SCAT 2165. If you want to blow $$$...put a 6 in it. Know that they don't just drop in...and the chassis has to be modified accordingly. FUN CAR!
Qarl
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Apr 21 2006, 09:56 AM) *

Just drop in the 2165. It's more than enough HP to push a 1285 lb car. 0-60 APPROXIMATELY 5.0! I know Randy Beck quite well and have had plenty of rides in Beck 550's...believe me...they are fast enough with a SCAT 2165. If you want to blow $$$...put a 6 in it. Know that they don't just drop in...and the chassis has to be modified accordingly. FUN CAR!

I'd like a HiPo Type 4 with FI.

Maybe if Mueller can get ITB working, even better.

Howard
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Feb 23 2003, 12:04 PM) *

Money..Money.. Money. Build a 2180cc VW type 1 engine and call it done. Several of us Norcal guy's know a guy with a 3.6 in a Beck. He cant keep it strait. It has these GOD awful flair extensions so he could get some kind of tire under it. They are brutally fast with 180hp in them. I would use a 914/901 tranny with LSD and matched gear ratios. I LOVE the look and "drop jaw" reactions from people when they see a six in them... but build it cheap with a Type1. It is more than an acceptable practice.

Actually. Dont build one. Buy one already built and save the time/money.

B

agree.gif
But I do want a ride in Andy's 904 smile.gif
rhodyguy
i think a 2056, 44s, the right cam for the power band where you want it, and a GOOD header. i'm partial. which 914 are you going to sell?

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.