Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - TOP SPEED!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
drewvw

in keeping with my habit of posing general questions....whats the fastest you've ever driven on the streets (i guess track is alright too) and in what kind of ride?

Mine is about 145+ in Porsche 930 turbo...
grantsfo
155 MPH drafting a Boxster S in a 2.7 liter Boxster
solex
130 in a '00 BMW 328Ci
GaroldShaffer
163 mph in a 32 Ford Dragcar called Hot Stuff. Was my best friends dad's best friends car (did you follow that?) Wednesday nights at old US 30 drag strip was ride along nights. I begged mom & dad to sign the wavier so I could ride along.
I forget the time, it seemed like forever but was only really under 9 sec in a 1/4 mile.
maf914
My fastest was 140 mph driving a friend's Corvette. This was on the autobahn retuning to Frankfurt after attending a Group C sports prototype race at the Nurburgring in the 80's.
tat2dphreak
145 in a 300ZX
Joe Ricard
135 in my 928.
bd1308
90 in my 914 2.0L

i went 85 in my new 1.7L
gopack
137 indicated in my 97 M3 (I sure miss her), on an empty back road in NM.
skline
155 in a BMW 540i coming across New Mexico from Amarillo. I left Amarillo at 6 AM and was in my driveway at 8 PM. Average speed for the trip was 109. The car averaged 22 MPG also, it was the first time a car ever really impressed me. What a ride!
BigDBass
105 in My old '88 Wagoneer. I miss that one.
80 in the 914 last night.
Brew
140 indicated in a 69 Firebird. Scary as hell because of the front end lift, but fun enough I did it twice!
mikerose
165 as indicated on my ZX11 cool_shades.gif

Click to view attachment
Might have been faster if it was clean
Part Pricer

Waiting for Alpha's post in this thread... popcorn[1].gif biggrin.gif
DonTraver
Lets see:

140 mph - 1980 96 cubic inch FXWG Harley (I-88 Illinois) still have bike.

120 mph - 1970 2.0l 914-6

140 mph - 1993 RS America Porsche (I-10 Texas)

170 mph - 2005 997S Porsche (Autobahn Liepzig Germany)

Fun Times, the only legal one was the Autobahn. I'm a bit more careful now, most states are required Jail time and they will try to keep your car for that anymore. That would really suck. So I don't do it anymore, or should I say I really try to restrain myself, yeah, that's probably a more true statement. I do still nail them on on-ramps in 2nd-3rd gears.

Later, Don

vertigo
145 in '71 Dodge Charger r/t, fornt end got light at 130 (still had a bit left but was kinda scary) 155 in 86 Porsche 928
KaptKaos
About 115 in my old Integra GSR on the way back from Vegas chasing a Pantera.
Hybrid_Teener
135ish in the integra RS trying to bury the speedo... a few times over 130 on 85... if you ever saw a red blur passing you between bernal and blossom hill in those hours, that was me. wacko.gif
Howard
I obey all traffic laws and never exceed the posted speed limits. blink.gif
hcdmueller
170+ on my Honda CBR 929 on a very empty A7 crossing from one side of the Netherlands to the other. Chasing my friend on his Hayabusa. smile.gif

Indicated 120MPH in my 914 last night on the autobahn just outside of Kaiserslautern, Germany. Pretty much top speed.

bondo
146, in one of these: biggrin.gif

I guess over the streets probably doesn't count though.

So.Cal.914
160mph 1996 Toyota Supra turbo. On the I 10 east in the low desert

Yeeeee haaaaaaaaa. smoke.gif

sean_v8_914
mach 1.5+ from North island to the persian gulf in an RF-14
redshift
158, verified by the Georgia State Patrol.

Oops.

M
Eddie914
145+ '73 Porsche 911 Carerra RS (wish it was mine) ... on the track (of course).

... a couple of weeks later, the steering shaft coupler bolt came loose coming up to the chicane. Luckily it was a temporary course and only a couple of cones were run over.

charlesmac
the speedo on my CBR900RR said a little over 180, I'm sure there's a few mph error, that was the fastest i've ever driven. Riding in a friend's supercharged mustang saleen, the needle was bouncing between 195 and 200.
Ever notice the stripes in the road become solid somewhere around 150-160mph? seen that a few times.
rcrgrl
Broke the speedo @ 120 in dad's 57vette happy11.gif
fitsbain
$1.25 in the 96 Z28

Was a fun car an I wish I still had it. But the truck I got for trade towed home the 914 so I guess it's all good.
TROJANMAN
135 being a stupid teenager in mom's acura legend
128 in the VR6 Corrado - I70 california to Colorado (the gov limited my speed)

Not my car, but i always thought this was a cool pic of an E34 M5
tod914
Fiat X19... well still waiting on the spedo to move
Gustl
it was about 145 in a 996 Carrera 4 (summer 2002 IIRC) ... high grade illegal rolleyes.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(redshift @ May 3 2006, 07:55 AM) *

158, verified by the Georgia State Patrol.

Oops.

M

av-943.gif

Quick story. It will be 3 years ago in August that I bought my current 914, that was two days before Barber Dave's 914 meet in Toldeo. On the way to the meet a nice Indiana State Trooper pulled me over just before the Ohio line. Said he clocked me at 105 in my 914 confused24.gif (must have been a tail wind biggrin.gif ) After talking cars for 30 min he let me go with a verbal warning. Heading back home after the meet a State trooper car in the median turn on his lights just before I got to him, yep same cop, he just held his arm out the window and waved.

cool_shades.gif
brer
165mph Ferrari Twin Turbo GTO

I thought the speedo was in km's confused24.gif
cbenitah
160... BMW M5
merrill
I went 126 in an 84 Scirocco, 145 on the back of my friends gsxr, 120 driving a gsxr, and 85 in my 914 last night!)
LvSteveH
809mph last night in the 912E, of course that is factoring in the speed of the earth's rotation. I'm sure it will be even faster when I fix the rod knock and can drive it.

160mph in a 97 camaro 6 speed, 400hp, and yes, I was on the hood of a police car shortly thereafter, and no, he did not wave goodbye.
balljoint
200 in a 1996 SAAB turbo, but that was kph, equal to 125 mph. Metric is more impressive. stan.gif

richardL
150 indicated, Boxster S, autobahn

Fun!
obscurity
112mph which isn't that impressive but it was in an unmodified Honda Civic LX 4door and it probably could have gotten a little faster but I ran out of highway
914-8
I sometimes wonder what my 8 would do on the top end.

It has a tall geared 915, and turns around 1800 rpm at 60 mph.

So there is plenty of gear.

When you punch it at 60 in 4th or 5th, you are at 100 before you know it, so there is plenty of power.

Given the gearing, I wonder what the speed at redline would be in 5th??

Would there be enough power from 5.7 liters to get to redline?

Would the car, with no aero aids, fly off the road before then?

spare time toys
Back when I was young dumb and full of cum I went 155 in a 73 Vette with a built up 454. How I miss that car sad.gif

When I started for the airlines I got a Ninja 1000 we built it up and street raced it. They repaved the road over the dam on Lake Lavon and I saw 180 on it before I remembered the dip in the road for the spillway at the end of the dam huh.gif ohmy.gif It had GOOD brakes mueba.gif
Elliot_Cannon
I suppose this doesn't count but I once had a ground speed of 700 knots over Japan in a 747-200. laugh.gif

Cheers, Elliot
Andyrew
QUOTE(914-8 @ May 3 2006, 10:42 AM) *

I sometimes wonder what my 8 would do on the top end.

It has a tall geared 915, and turns around 1800 rpm at 60 mph.

So there is plenty of gear.

When you punch it at 60 in 4th or 5th, you are at 100 before you know it, so there is plenty of power.

Given the gearing, I wonder what the speed at redline would be in 5th??

Would there be enough power from 5.7 liters to get to redline?

Would the car, with no aero aids, fly off the road before then?

at about 150 the back end gets squrmy, and 160 you'll have way to much lift in the rear end to go much faster. Mostly caused by the open engine and trani compartment. If you made a skidplate that went from the floorpan to the bumper.. it should be MUCH more stable at high speeds.

PS. I've topped out my car with the GF in the car and the top off.... did it on a 1-1.5 mile stretch of closed road, at a track day...
sjhowitson
186 in my C-4 while having sexual relations with a hot blond.....NO wait that was last nights liquor induced dream. Forget I said anything. Go back to what you were doing. beer3.gif

Cheers
BKLA
A friend of mine has a continually changing collection of cars and bikes.

Here is just a few of my lucky drives with his toys:

165 indicated - Viper Coupe

160 indicated - Z06 Corvette (slightly modified - wink wink!)

175 indicated - S55 AMG sedan

145 indicated - Honda RC51

155 indicated - ducati 996SP

135 indicated - Honda CBR900RR
____

Personally,

157 (radar) Mustang GT firehawk racecar on backstraight at Riverside Raceway - (the dogleg becomes a drifting corner at that speed!) whoa BRAKES into turn 9 banking!)
TimT
the dark side of 200mph in the 935

MEMtheMercifull
170MPH maybe more on a Ducati 996 The reason I say maybe more is because I looked down for a sec. after I got outa the throttle ! Thing are happining way to fast at that speed to be looking at a speedo with any regularity . Especially on a Motorcycle
bernbomb914
49 MPH on my highly modified Whizzer motor bike at El Marige Dry Lake when I was 13 yrs old.

Bernie
turboman808
Guy in the mustang said 155 when I followed his corbra r. My speedo only goes to 120 so I can't say for sure.

Guy here at work did 200mph in a lambo and has it on tape to prove it. And the scary part is it wasn't on a empty stretch of road.
wannateener
Street, I don't know cause after about 80 I stop looking at anything but the road and if something breaks I want to know were I'm headed.

Water ,
Certified at 169.662 at Phoenix.
1365 feet stop to start.
In a open boat.

JT

1320 We turned a 161.221
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.