Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Refinishing Seat Handles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
tod914
I want to refinish my seat rail handles. They have a few chips. Looking for a highly durable gloss black paint/product. What do you suggest? Is a primer coat needed to? Was even thinking POR15 being its hard as nails and glossy black.

Seems alot of the rattle can paints scratch/chip easily

Suggestions?
Pat Garvey
I haven't had to do mine, but I'd lean towards the POR15. You're right, it does take abuse & I think probably would go undetected from original.
tod914
Pat, ended up using FinishMasters gloss black trim paint. Turned out real nice. Blended into the rail perfectly. 1 task down, 999 to go.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ May 24 2006, 02:53 PM) *

Pat, ended up using FinishMasters gloss black trim paint. Turned out real nice. Blended into the rail perfectly. 1 task down, 999 to go.

smile.gif

Hey Tod,

Not familiar with Finish Masters paints.... fill me in. Sounds like it worked for you. Tell us about prep & drying time.

Only 999 to go huh, sounds like a summer.

Seriously, let us in on this product.

PG
tod914
Ok, it's Finishmaster spray max (german product) . Was pricey for rattle can. Thought it was over $10 a can but has a nice nozzle on it. To prep i use aircraft stripper on the handles, soap and water to rinse it off, scotch bright, then wiped it down with paint thinner. Applied 3 coats within 30 minutes of each other and let it dry for a day before i touched it. Looks factory new. I don't forsee the handles getting much use so it should last.
914runnow
I bought new from Porsche about 6 years ago.....
Was not worth the effort..
They came in beat up ...So will try the paint....
Thanx for the tip....
boxstr
I recently refinished a set. I took off all of the old paint by just using the brush wheel on the grinder. Be careful to not push to hard. Then used lacquer thinner to clean and painted with a brush, black POR 15. They look excellent and the finish is hard as nails.
Craig C. Laughlin CAMP 914
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.