Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Documentation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Jasfsmith
I'm interested in hearing from those in the know on whether any vehicle documentation (ie. COA, sales sticker, maintenance slips) is presented at a judging. If so to what extent (should it be the original or a facsimile) and how (dump it on the ground, stuff it in the glove box or lay it out in the trunk.)
914-8
At a PCA concours, there should be no documentation or paperwork in the car. All the interior compartments should be completely empty.
sixerdon
The owners manual can be in the glove box. Never a point lost. In fact, it was required if you had it.

Don
Pat Garvey
You should have nothing in the car that wasn't in the car when delivered. Owners manual is expected to be there, but no floor mats, signs or any other papers. If the judges have questions, you must be there to respond. Maintenance records mean nothing to them. Window stickers or COA are fine to have in your posession, but would only be helpful if you had something unusual associated with your car, say optional paint-to-sample paint.

Your usually given instructions as to how to display your car. Some events want spare and tools to be displayed outside the car, others don't. The instructions will almost always tell not to display for sale signs, trophies (really tacky!), or any form of doumentation.

For the most part, the people judging your car(especially PCA) are experts on the 914 models. But, they are not perfect. If you have something untypical on your 914, be prepared to explain it or lose points. Dealer installed options, with the exception of a/c, stripes, radio are going to lose points for you. I had dealer installed chrome wheels on for my first concours & got gigged for them. I still won, but the wheels came off for any subsequent concours.

If you have a very early 914 with appearance group items not matching the specs, be prepared to answer for them. The PCA judges are aware of the "whatever is in the bin" approach to the early appearance group option, and, though they may question you about it, will usually understand your explanation.

Good luck & enjoy yourself!
Jasfsmith
Only what came with the car is shown. That I now understand.

How would the judges handle a European delivery model. There are several obvious differences (ie. no fender directionals, driving lights instead of fog lights, no lettering on the engine lid) and many subtle items (i.e. no emission canister, absence of directional column decals, no DOT stickers or VIN tag, engine serial number out of sequence) that will likely be noted by the judges.

Is there an opportunity to make the judges aware that it is a true Europe delivery vehicle and that differences ,however slight, do exist. I'd hate to loose points on on originality item due to unfamiliarity between the models.

I'm likely to need all the points I can muster!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ May 3 2006, 02:10 PM) *

Only what came with the car is shown. That I now understand.

How would the judges handle a European delivery model. There are several obvious differences (ie. no fender directionals, driving lights instead of fog lights, no lettering on the engine lid) and many subtle items (i.e. no emission canister, absence of directional column decals, no DOT stickers or VIN tag, engine serial number out of sequence) that will likely be noted by the judges.

Is there an opportunity to make the judges aware that it is a true Europe delivery vehicle and that differences ,however slight, do exist. I'd hate to loose points on on originality item due to unfamiliarity between the models.

I'm likely to need all the points I can muster!

OK, now we're down to the nitty-gritty! If you have the COA and/or the window sticker, keep it with you - but tell the judges when they come to your car that it's Euro delivery, and that you have paperwork to prove it. Any judge team captain worth his salt will ask to see proof! Once that's been established ( by your docs), there should be no further problem - but stay with the car! I can just see them huddling together for this one!

If your docs(original, if possible) are correct, just be certain that the car is prepared. By that, I mean your knuckles should be bloody, fingernails gone (or filthy) and tetanus shots current.

You'll be FINE & please let us know how it turns out. Remember (if it's PCA) there's always next year! BTDT.

Photos?
tod914
No paper work other than the owners manuel and service manuel in it's appropiate folder. Usually have that displayed in the front trunk with the tool kit. I dont think they would frown if you had an original brochure, cardex, etc. either. Guess it all depends upon what level of "concours" your doing. Full concours will certianly be more critical than trunks, interior & exterior (wheel wells may or may not be judged in that catagory). Typically the chapthers or zones will post the rules and you can see on the score sheets you'll be handed (pca.org). But regarding your paperwork, you can have it available and always ask prior to the judging and see what they say. Think a euro car would interesting to see with all it's proper documentation. Original bill of sales always seemed to raise a smile too.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ May 3 2006, 02:47 PM) *

No paper work other than the owners manuel and service manuel in it's appropiate folder. Usually have that displayed in the front trunk with the tool kit. I dont think they would frown if you had an original brochure, cardex, etc. either. Guess it all depends upon what level of "concours" your doing. Full concours will certianly be more critical than trunks, interior & exterior (wheel wells may or may not be judged in that catagory). Typically the chapthers or zones will post the rules and you can see on the score sheets you'll be handed (pca.org). But regarding your paperwork, you can have it available and always ask prior to the judging and see what they say. Think a euro car would interesting to see with all it's proper documentation. Original bill of sales always seemed to raise a smile too.

Might be OK at a low-key regioanl event, but not at a Parade! Don't put yourself in any possible position for even losing a tenth of a point at Parade, especially with 914/6. Keep your papers in your pocket & let the chief judge know you have them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.