Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Website hosts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
My autocross pics ate up 1.5GB of bandwidth over the past few days while hosted on my old college server. Admin wasn't too hapy about that so shut it down.

It's finally time to setup my own domain.

Any comments on Websitesource.com , godaddy.com ? Any suggestions?
I'm looking for 5GB+ storage, 50GB+ traffic, reliable, fast, <$100/year.

Thanks
drewvw

godaddy.com is pretty good bang for the buck and decent customer service. I manage domain names thru them.

Verio is another that I would recommend. Been around forever.
bd1308
I manage domains through easydns.com
and I have a real Virtual server (piece of a dual CPU 3.06Ghz Server)

55/yr for domain and 20 bucks/mth for real linux server.

smile.gif

b
yarin
My question is how much bandwith do i really need. At some point I will be hosting more and more pics and then get into video that will make their way around the net. Say 100mb videos, who knows.

what do you guys think?
bd1308
QUOTE(yarin @ May 3 2006, 12:33 PM) *

My question is how much bandwith do i really need. At some point I will be hosting more and more pics and then get into video that will make their way around the net. Say 100mb videos, who knows.

what do you guys think?

I have 50GB/month bandwidth, and its more than enough for me and the people I hosted videos for.

I found that if I left backdoors open for people to upload videos onto, that other people would upload trojan horses and stuff.....

b
drewvw

You should call and explain what you want and they can tailor a setup to your needs. Verio is good for that, you can just call them and they will set you up.

drew
Britain Smith
I use and love the services that ipowerweb.com provide...that is who I use for several websites that I do.

-Britain
dinomium
Out west, there is a great little company called http://www.parcom.net/ they are more a smaller player so you get GREAT service from them.
Chris914n6
godaddy.com for the $9 registration. they are one of the better services for features that I have used over the past several years.

my current favorite for server space is bluehost.com 10 gig for $7 month off the top of my head. again, one of the better ones that i have used over the years.
yarin
I was told that Flickr.com (now owned by Yahoo) is a great way to share pics. 20mb for a free account, 2GB for $24.95.

I posted a few pics for free, its really easy to navigate and upload pics. You can even email pics to have them posted. Very powerful. I think i might pass on the web host for now. This is much easier and quicker (uploading and viewing).

Anyone use this service?

Here is a link to a few pics i put up:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/infinitelydigital/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.