Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cable, throttle cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
Never done any cables before, but I think my cable is done for. I need to do the other two but those will be done whenever I get $$. Anywho, how hard is it to get the throttle cable off, and a new one put back in?

b
maf914
IMHO, the throttle cable replacement is not too bad. I hate fiddling with the connection at the pedal cluster since access is so tight, but otherwise I think it's easier that the clutch cable since the adjustment is done in the engine compartment.

Be careful not to get the throttle cable wrapped around the clutch cable in the tunnel. BTDT. laugh.gif
bd1308
so its not a simple out comes old in goes new thing? You have to guide it through the tunnel and such?

i'm thinking the source of my tight throttle is a huge metal hairball somewhere in my throttle cable thats preventing proper movement with some level of ease.

b
Mueller
QUOTE(bd1308 @ May 3 2006, 12:53 PM) *

so its not a simple out comes old in goes new thing? You have to guide it through the tunnel and such?

i'm thinking the source of my tight throttle is a huge metal hairball somewhere in my throttle cable thats preventing proper movement with some level of ease.

b

of course you have to guide it in...you expect to lay it on the floor and it go in all by itself??? screwy.gif

tip: tie a piece of string to the cable on the inside of the car before you pull the cable out....

also, a small mirror and flashlight is useful to be able to look into the tunnel to ensure that you are not tangled up with the clutch cable
TROJANMAN
it's easier if you don't have a center console.

bd1308
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 3 2006, 01:56 PM) *

QUOTE(bd1308 @ May 3 2006, 12:53 PM) *

b

of course you have to guide it in...you expect to lay it on the floor and it go in all by itself??? screwy.gif

tip: tie a piece of string to the cable on the inside of the car before you pull the cable out....

also, a small mirror and flashlight is useful to be able to look into the tunnel to ensure that you are not tangled up with the clutch cable

maybe I need a pic of where this is going exactly. Do i need to start inside the car and feed it through either side of the tunnel, or do i start aft of the firewall and push it in?

is this in haynes?

b
Brew
Aft of the firewall. I did mine 2 weeks ago, and it's really a piece of cake. I pulled out my steering wheel, console, and floorboard, but I'm not sure it's NECESSARY to do so. Just made it a little easier.
Allan
If you follow Mikes advice it's pretty easy. The string will pull the new cable back in through the same route the old one was installed and help keep it from getting wrapped around any of the others...
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Brew @ May 3 2006, 12:33 PM) *

Aft of the firewall. I did mine 2 weeks ago, and it's really a piece of cake. I pulled out my steering wheel, console, and floorboard, but I'm not sure it's NECESSARY to do so. Just made it a little easier.

i never thought about pulling the wheel blink.gif

good idea. a little more room to work without bumping your head everytime you get up slap.gif
bd1308
so......

i cant see what you all are talking about until i get in there, so i might as well just get in there and do it.

i'm sure there's only one way it works....

b
TROJANMAN
Brit,
try searching pelican.
here's just one thread i found

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....=cable+throttle
Aaron Cox
youve spent more time asking questions then it takes to change the cable smile.gif
Hammy
I've only taken it off so far (haven't installed new one yet) and I can say it can get a little frustrating underneath the dash with so little room. And this is with no wheel, no center console and no seats in the car blink.gif
bd1308
dang! okay this sounds good....

i'll do it friday.

thanks all.

friday's todo:
*valve adjustment
*oil change
*throttle cable
*adjust clutch

b
Brew
QUOTE(bd1308 @ May 3 2006, 01:28 PM) *

dang! okay this sounds good....

i'll do it friday.

thanks all.

friday's todo:
*valve adjustment
*oil change
*throttle cable
*adjust clutch

b

What's on the itinerary for after lunch then? biggrin.gif
BMartin914
Brew's right...it's a piece of cake.

Just have to be careful not to get it intermingled with the clutch cable in the vicinity of the pedal cluster. I've done it twice. It was actually more of a pain the 2nd time around.
SLITS
Well Britt, I will take exception.....Sit yourself down and slowly sip a Grape Nehi....it will take years of study and a building full of engineering drawings to understand the complexity of pulling one cable out and pushing (or pulling if you have a string) one in from the rear.

bd1308
Go take your pills stick.gif
bd1308

wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.